nnMIG 3 Swappable - design, build, and review log

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Old photo but one of my first mid airs. The 800mm mustang took my wing right off!

QwetBAR.jpg

Hell2Go

My Mig went down the other day due to radio failure, haven't had the heart to look closely at it yet to see if it is repairable... Just picked up the pieces and gently laid them down in the corner of the workshop and wiped away the tears...

I have video of the crash and will post when I can... She was quickly becoming my favorite flyer... sniff, sniff...

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Bummer! Do you know what caused the radio issue?

I've been flying my latest nnMiG for a few weeks now. I'm planning to reshoot some of the video for it soon. We are coming up on the one year anniversary for its release also.

zjM6FxH.jpg

Hell2Go

My transmitter battery was down to 9.2v and it was out about 200 yards and lost signal...

Do you still have that picture of it from FliteFest? Just in case I have to have a memorial service for my nnMig?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
My transmitter battery was down to 9.2v and it was out about 200 yards and lost signal...

Do you still have that picture of it from FliteFest? Just in case I have to have a memorial service for my nnMig?

I still have all the photos I took during FF. Though right now I can't remember who took what photos :p

Hell2Go

This is the first time I put my Mobius on the nnMig3 and my radio glitches out as I go over the trees. Full speed 100 ft nose dive into the ground. I think the plane is repairable. I had it on high rates on takeoff by mistake...

Last edited:

Hell2Go

Accessing the damage...

IMG_0279.JPG
the wing was held with rubberbands which came off on impact. just a wrinkle in the skin in the center...

IMG_0280.JPG
wingtips already had wrinkles from pulling high G's

IMG_0282.JPG
Fuse accordioned but I think I can flatten and smooth it out with a monokote iron and some hot glue.

IMG_0283.JPG
You cant see it in the pics, but the battery blew thru the fuse into the power pod and hit the rear motor shaft breaking it.

IMG_0285.JPG
The bolt on prop adapter is bent, and the nosecone mount split and prop broke.

IMG_0286.JPG
power pod is trashed too...

I really loved flying this plane once I got her dialed in. It was a little sketchy at first but I kept at it adjusting cg and finding the right motor and battery. Got her fairly flyable, then I met with nNic at FF2015 and he told me of a redesign and new cg point and to reduce my control throws and WOW! what a different animal she became! Flew like it was on rails! Very predictable flite lines and became confidence inspiring. I wasn't afraid to get in close to the trees in the video that I'm flying over. I even touched the leaves with a wingtip a few times... on purpose!!!

this is a great plane design and if your an experienced pilot and on the fence about making the commitment of time to build this plane, just do it! You won't be disappointed... :)

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hey that's my signature! My wife asked me why I didn't use cursive.. I'm new to this signing stuff :p

That's some impressive damage. It's definitely fixable. I always look at it from a time perspective. If I can fix it in significantly less time than rebuilding, then I fix it.

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
how do you get the video window to appear on a post?

Testing the direct video link. It might only work for youtube videos.

Yeah, it has to be a youtube video. You click the Insert Video link and paste in a youtube video link. Facebook videos won't embed.

Sorry about the crash, but it did look cool.

Hell2Go

Well I guess as long as you get to see the video it doesn't really matter how you see it...

Crashing is just a part of flying, it will happen to us all eventually, but at least this one wasn't due to pilot error... the radio cut out. The other two this week WERE due to pilot error... lessons learned: #1 don't drink beer before you fly! #2 Don't adjust your trims while doing a 3 foot high flyby at 75mph with an 11year old talking your ear off!
crash damage 1.JPG
this was #2... Remember this one Nic? damage is really minimal, under high impact crash the hot glue "pops" off the tape which absorb the energy instead of breaking foam. that's why I tape all my planes, improves durability by 10-fold and they look really nice too!
crash damage 3.JPG
This is the extent of the foam damage, and this plane weighs almost 500g with my high power setup.
crash damage 4.JPG
A monokote iron will flatten and smooth out the wingtip and quenching the heat out with a steel ruler will harden the foam some and keep it flat.
crash damage 5.JPG
This cowl was getting beat up anyway, the new one will be one solid piece (not hinged in the middle) with a tape hinge with Velcro in the front and magnets in the rear. ( v2 design) Hope this inspires some ideas for you guys! :)