No love for FT Simple Soarer?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
What motor do you have? Mine has plenty of power on 2S. I put a 1300 on top of the fuse and can fly "forever".

No motor, but was planning on using it for slope soaring. I know, probably too much weight, but we get a decent amount of lift from the wind on the beach cliffs up near Encinitas, about 15 mi. North of Torrey Pines Glider Port.

Piotrsko

Master member
Flown there. Cool site but sometimes wierd with a north wind component. There is a state beach around there somewhere also which was nice to fly

Can't EVER get too heavy for slope, you just need more wind, but 1Lb tire weights on a ZAGI combat is just insane

Tench745

Master member
I built a Simple Soarer a year or so ago and loved playing with it. It was my first glider, no power pod. I wanted a little more performance out of it so I folded up an Armin style wing. If flies faster and floats longer, but it does not behave well in turns so I mostly use the original FT wing now. Eventually I got sick of gluing the stick of a fuselage back together all the time, so I built a fiberglass fuselage and balsa tail for it instead. Some day I'm going to play around with wing shapes some more.
Link to the build log for that project: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...-aka-when-a-builder-cant-stop-tweaking.39791/

Piotrsko

Master member
Sounds like you need more rudder and or ailerons

@Piotrsko - some of the newer micro velcro is very grippy!

Yeah that's what get me thinking: some industrial velcro for holding the wings on and good by forever ugly rubber bands. Maybe can't take the wing off, but mine are typically glued In or on.

Note: I usually bring the plane home in the exact same condition I brought it in. (Grass stains don't count)

sprzout

Mentor
Flown there. Cool site but sometimes wierd with a north wind component. There is a state beach around there somewhere also which was nice to fly

Can't EVER get too heavy for slope, you just need more wind, but 1Lb tire weights on a ZAGI combat is just insane

LOL probably Carlsbad State Beach - it's got a couple of good cliff areas. Only issue is that sometimes people complain, because the glider guys don't always have great control over their landings.

As for your mention of taking the wing off, well, I kinda NEED to; a 60" wing doesn't fit too well into a 2007 Mustang GT with the fuselage attached. LOL

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Sounds like you need more rudder and or ailerons

No, It sounds like he needed more Cow Bell
cowbell-fever.jpg

FoamyDM

LOL probably Carlsbad State Beach - it's got a couple of good cliff areas. Only issue is that sometimes people complain, because the glider guys don't always have great control over their landings.

As for your mention of taking the wing off, well, I kinda NEED to; a 60" wing doesn't fit too well into a 2007 Mustang GT with the fuselage attached. LOL
I feel it. I have a Toyota Yaris, with 2 kids I bring. Space is a premium. the planes get the front seat.

mayan

Legendary member
I tried to give love to the Simple Soarer but unfortunetly it wasn't giving me any love back :(. I tried flying it with an on board camera which filmed absolutely nothing. So here is a short video of giving love and getting a pile of pieces in return :).

sprzout

Mentor
Well, I managed to get my Simple Soarer out at the cliffs of Carlsbad, at a location called "Dave's Beach", where the locals go to fly slope. Lots of fun the first time I tried, tons of lift, and I was able to keep my glider up for about half an hour on the lift we were getting. Landing, on the other hand...LOL

I tried to bring it down on the trail running along the cliff as others have done, and skipped it several times before I was able to nose it in to the ice plant. That impact broke the battery compartment (I was flying it without the motor on the nose, so it just had the tow hook and battery in there), so when I came home I just had to make a new nose out of scrap foam that I had lying around. All in all, not a bad glider for first time sloping. :)

bracesport

Legendary member
@mayan - I feel for you on this one - seems the nose is really short on the SS - I would extend it - all mine with wings that size have at least 20cm out front.

@sprzout - did you get any video - all things being equal O will get some slope time over the next week - we have a bit of a hurricane here at the moment (we had 140kph winds at the house)!

FoamyDM

@mayan - I feel for you on this one - seems the nose is really short on the SS - I would extend it - all mine with wings that size have at least 20cm out front.
I agree! or ad a LARGE battery (for wind penetration.)
@sprzoutwe had 140kph winds at the house!
Batten down the Hatches. (Fasten all seatbelts. Secure all entrances and exits. Close all shops in the mall. Cancel the three ring circus!...)

sprzout

Mentor
No, not from when I did my sloping - unfortunately, that was about 2 months ago! LOL

Now, if the weather would improve a bit (we're getting doused with rain today into tomorrow) and I could get something of a westerly wind that would provide lift instead of the eastern winds blowing at my back, I might be able to go out and get some video! :)

sprzout

Mentor
Batten down the Hatches. (Fasten all seatbelts. Secure all entrances and exits. Close all shops in the mall. Cancel the three ring circus!...)

"Ah, buckle this. Ludicrous speed! GO!"

(on a side note, NewBeeDrone, a company here in San Diego that makes TinyWhoop sized quads, has "Plaid" brushed motors for their Whoops)

mayan

Legendary member
Remember the last crash with my simple soarer well I did it again after repairing it. This time the fuselage broke in half. I repaired it willing to try yet again, maybe tomorrow if it doesn't start raining.

mayan

Legendary member
Ok so it took some time, but the 2nd time repaired Simple Soarer flew again and this time it did good. It gave me back some love back, and some great onboard air footage :), enjoy!

P.S. - I want to see other people flying their simple soarers too. @Arcfyre where are you at?