old timers

eyeFLYfome

im a designer by trade but not in rc planes. i think im going to start designing foam versions of the old style free flight old timers, most 3 channel stuff, but wit a few twists. im thinking less outright cabin styles( like the Long Cabin and Buzzard Bombshell) and with many mid wing low wing designs. a bit sportier looking but with plenty of dyhedral to keep to keep from needing ailerons. i got a few ideas already.

anyone else just like a very easy slow flying plane that isnt a cookie cutter trainer?

eyeFLYfome

i do not have the rudder, stab or elevator done, nor any of the fine measurements listed but this is the idea. i kinda took an old GeeBee idea and ran withit. got an old timer biplane.

Attachments

• GBOldTimer.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 1

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I have been considering doing a classic conversion myself but keep putting it off because of space. I have an obsession with buying WW2 classic planes off my good friend, which means he has more space to build but I have less storage space.
I have thought about building either: The Super 60, Mercury Matador, The Majestic major or the Eaglet. Sadly, there isn't enough time in the day and the project keeps getting put off.
Good luck with your project I look forward to seeing the result.

FlyingTyger

Elite member
im a designer by trade but not in rc planes. i think im going to start designing foam versions of the old style free flight old timers, most 3 channel stuff, but wit a few twists. im thinking less outright cabin styles( like the Long Cabin and Buzzard Bombshell) and with many mid wing low wing designs. a bit sportier looking but with plenty of dyhedral to keep to keep from needing ailerons. i got a few ideas already.

anyone else just like a very easy slow flying plane that isnt a cookie cutter trainer?

I love the idea of bringing some of the vintage designs to life again in foam board.
I did something similar a few years back designing ultra micro (balsa) versions for indoor flying. I did the Super Kaos, Skylark Twin, Flite Streak, Nobler, and Livewire Trainer.
Kaos-Proto1.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

LiveWire-Proto1.JPG

Then went the other way and designed an 80" version of the Livewire.
IMG_1388.jpg

eyeFLYfome

I love the idea of bringing some of the vintage designs to life again in foam board.
I did something similar a few years back designing ultra micro (balsa) versions for indoor flying. I did the Super Kaos, Skylark Twin, Flite Streak, Nobler, and Livewire Trainer.
View attachment 231450
View attachment 231451
View attachment 231453

View attachment 231454

ive done many rc planes as foamies but not any oldtimers.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I still have a balsa Yamamoto trainer from my nitro days back in the 80s, I converted it many years ago to 4 ch. However, I still have the original 3ch wing spare. The wing's is basically a polystyrene core with a thin balsa covering. I was planning to drill some large holes in it to reduce the weight and build an electric version of the Yamamoto with a foamboard fuselage and tail.
It was going to be a 3ch trainer for my grandson, but like all my good ideas it's at the bottom of a long list of jobs.
1666999950526.png

eyeFLYfome

i hope this works. i found these 2 pdf files of oldtimers that are not just cabin or pylon style.

Attachments

• Torpedo-40-.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 1937 Texaco Winner P-1.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

cyclone3350

Master member
View attachment 231450
View attachment 231451
View attachment 231453

View attachment 231454

I remember seeing that thread and made the Dwarf. Wanted to do the Twin Skylark, but could never locate a dual ESC 1s brick. Found a UMX 2s brick from the Aero Commander, but never got to it. Cool Livewire....both of them!

eyeFLYfome

I remember seeing that thread and made the Dwarf. Wanted to do the Twin Skylark, but could never locate a dual ESC 1s brick. Found a UMX 2s brick from the Aero Commander, but never got to it. Cool Livewire....both of them!
Dwarf, twin Skylark... we need pics. lol

FlyingTyger

Elite member
Is that a tiny combustion engine poking out of the bonnet? Whole thing looks mini, I must know the measurements - of the plane and the engine, if that is indeed a tiny engine! :D
The Dwarf spans 22". The original was designed for a .2-.32cc engine, it was redrawn in 1982 for a CO2 engine. I designed my version to use the E-Flite/Parkzone 1S ultra micro components. The cylinder you see is just a dummy for looks.
Plans for all of the versions are available on Outerzone. LINKY

mastermalpass

Elite member
The Dwarf spans 22". The original was designed for a .2-.32cc engine, it was redrawn in 1982 for a CO2 engine. I designed my version to use the E-Flite/Parkzone 1S ultra micro components. The cylinder you see is just a dummy for looks.
Plans for all of the versions are available on Outerzone. LINKY

That is awesome! I did not know they made Engines so small! I guess that's why it runs on diesel; no need for spark plugs. If only they were easy to find for sale - I'd be really keen to experiment with them.

eyeFLYfome

i still need to draw the bulk heads but here is a sporty old tymer canard.

Attachments

• OLDTIMERCANARD.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0