Orange DSM2/DSMX module

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
how do you "feel" about my " reserved" module ?? do you think they will send me anyway or they will fix it first ?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Hobbyking is a big business with orders flying out the door. I'd get on chat support and make darn sure they don't ship you that module (that's the one thing chat support can do without too much hassle). They'd find it hard to pick your order if there's no stock to pick it from, but there's no harm in being doubly sure. I've got the advantage of having a 'local' warehouse to ship it back to if there's an issue with an order, but in your case you've got a lot more to loose...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
They're shipping me out a new one. No cost to me, no sending back the faulty one, no hassles. They've apparently fixed the problem for future shipments.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
so people actually bought these Spektrum abominations?!? putting this module in a 9x is like buying a Ferrari and using it as a flower garden.
You will all loose your planes! :mad:
I'm sorry folks, just telling it as it is.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Haha, yep. I was one of the first to hit the buy button. If there were FlySky rx (either 6 or 8ch) at the Australian HK warehouse I wouldn't have bothered. I don't think it'll be long until HK bring out DSMX rxs, which will hopefully be similarly priced. And don't worry, I'll be using my Orange gear with my 'Chery' planes, Flysky with my 'Fords' and FrSky with my 'BMWs'.

Orcoz

This module has now cost me 4 planes....

Seriously, I don't want to be a downer here in the forums, but I've had a string of 'brown outs' over the last couple of weeks, and yesterday have determined that it was in fact the Orange Module. I have the new Turnigy 9XR, and purchased the Orange DSM2 module at the same time simply because I have used the little OrangeRx's with my Spektrum Dx5e. I lost my Parkzone Corsair with it's AR600, and then my own designed plane, the FT Delta and then yesterday.. the final straw... my Baby Blender :mad:

I'm now seeking advice and shopping for either a replacement module, or a whole new Radio System altogether.

Should I go FrSky? DX8? The Futaba or JR of the month?

What do you guys think?

Oz

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Just out of curiosity, how did you determine it was the module? I've been using mine without issue with various HK OrangeRx receivers.

However if you are absolutely super duper convinced it's the module, I use FrSky for fpv and have never, ever, ever had the slightest glitch.

Orcoz

I'm thinking it's the module because I've never really had a brown out issue before (Dx5e & Hitec Flash5x) and I was getting glitches on different receiver Rx's... (AR600 and two different OrangeRx's).

I can easily pick up the Frsky combo with telemetry. At less than $40 it's a steal, but I would hate to continue pouring money into this path if I would be better off cutting bait and buying a Dx8 or a Futaba.

Thanks for the feedback!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I won't tell you what to buy, but will give you more feedback. Brownouts happen from the receiver end, not from the module. Many people have reported brownout issues with genuine Spektrum receivers, especially the older DSM2 receivers, regardless of what module/radio they are using.

Additionally, the R610s (OrangeRx) can be fussy about antenna position, more so than other single antenna rxs I've had the pleasure of using. This is partially why they've been discontinued in favour of the R615.

I'd suggest that if you've lost confidence in your system, I'd move to a different one. DSMX and FAAST are pretty solid, but receivers are very expensive. FrSky ACCST is at least equal to these, but the receivers are much cheaper.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Hey all,
I couldn't wait for the 610's or 615's to come back to the US warehouse after I bought my ORX module,
so I bought an ar400, and an old DSM2 only RX, and here is what I found.

The ar 400 binds solidly, 2 flashes from the module, which means DSMX 22ms. No range problems. I took an over powered easy star vertical until I could barely see it, much less fly it. I still had control once it came back into clear view.

I then buddyboxed a JR XP 8103 with a dx4e, and again had no range problems.

The old DSM2 RX had no binding Issues, and the module blinked once.
Unfortunately, soon after launch, I got shot down from about 300 ft up by the nearby powerlines. the RX was flashing, showing that I had lost signal.
I changed the ID on the module, which sort of helped, but DSM2 still had some glitches near the powerlines.

All in all, this is a great module! if on the fence, buy it, I love it, just don't fly DSM2 near powerlines!

Last edited:

johanjonker

I happend t have bought a orangetx for my 9xr with many, 25+ orangerx receivers. And I dont have "bad" range los flying.. Added flying a foam plane as far as I can see is not much past 500m. For $5 each this is a steal!!

I'm really impressed with OrangeRx and have now bought OrangeLRS aswell.. Still a little unsure about range.

I have flown both with FPV, and the area I fly is 800m radius, 400m each way, and my video cuts out before the radio.. For now..