Other hobbies!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
This is my latest obsession. I built one 10 years ago and sold it when I moved. Don't buy one of these kits and expect to slap it on in one day and go riding. I'm about to disassemble most of it so I can weld on permanent solid motor mounts. The clamp-on mounts allow the motor to shift no matter how tight you make them.

View attachment 212389

The bike is an old Murray rust bucket I picked up dirt cheap at a swap meet. It took several days to remove all the rust and get the bike working again. After I get all the bugs worked out I'm going to take it all apart again, paint it and put the fenders back on.

Remember when you were a kid and you clipped on baseball cards in the spokes so it sounded like an engine? I dreamed of having a real motor on my bike. It's just as much fun as I imagined it would be. :cool:(y)

Jon

I was big into baseball in those days. I NEVER wasted a good trading card. I did however always steal the jokers and rule cards from my grandparents Hoyle playing card decks to use. Some friends would also stomp on aluminum soda cans or old beer cans and wedge them behind their seats in that U shape frame over the back tire.

Here If you have a powered bike like that they consider it necessary to be licensed and street legal and don't ever get caught on a side walk with one motor running or not. Even the old 70's style mopeds are required as well.

TooJung2Die

Master member
Here If you have a powered bike like that they consider it necessary to be licensed and street legal and don't ever get caught on a side walk with one motor running or not. Even the old 70's style mopeds are required as well.
Depends a lot where you live. I had my first motorized bicycle in Las Vegas, NV. The cops didn't look twice at an old man wearing a helmet riding one of these in the bike lanes. I took it on many all day rides out to Red Rock Canyon. Now I live in a private community where almost everyone uses golf carts and other OHV's to get around the neighborhood.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I was big into baseball in those days. I NEVER wasted a good trading card. I did however always steal the jokers and rule cards from my grandparents Hoyle playing card decks to use. Some friends would also stomp on aluminum soda cans or old beer cans and wedge them behind their seats in that U shape frame over the back tire.

What about electric bikes?

is anyone here big into r/c cars / trucks and watercraft, in addition to your love of aircraft?
I used to design/build speedboats, but that was a long time ago. We didn't carry cameras in our phones in our pockets all the time so it took a bit of effort to take a picture, then get it developed, then save the pictures over all those years and through all those significant life changes...

Piotrsko

Master member
Depends a lot where you live. I had my first motorized bicycle in Las Vegas, NV. The cops didn't look twice at an old man wearing a helmet riding one of these in the bike lanes. I took it on many all day rides out to Red Rock Canyon. Now I live in a private community where almost everyone uses golf carts and other OHV's to get around the neighborhood.
Here in Reno just about everyone has an electric bike anymore and ride it on side streets only because of the bike nazis on the bike lanes and paths. Law enforcement is such a rare sight anymore, if one shows up, it's a neighborhood event.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
is anyone here big into r/c cars / trucks and watercraft, in addition to your love of aircraft?

Yeah that is the key word there... bike lane.. out here in the country we are just happy to have something labeled officially AS a road AND a sidewalk to walk on next to it. People here are more likely to get pulled over driving a combine or tractor down the road with no lights or chase vehicle.

The people driving around on lawn tractors usually tend to be the ones who lost their licenses for drunk driving. some have even been arrested for driving under the influence on a lawn tractor.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Not sure on the rules on those as they are fairly recent and I don't get out much. I am however sure that either someone not so bright will hurt a pedestrian or the local grubment will find a way to monetize those too at some point.
Change is bad! Ban change!

checkerboardflyer

This is my latest obsession. I built one 10 years ago and sold it when I moved. Don't buy one of these kits and expect to slap it on in one day and go riding. I'm about to disassemble most of it so I can weld on permanent solid motor mounts. The clamp-on mounts allow the motor to shift no matter how tight you make them.

View attachment 212389

The bike is an old Murray rust bucket I picked up dirt cheap at a swap meet. It took several days to remove all the rust and get the bike working again. After I get all the bugs worked out I'm going to take it all apart again, paint it and put the fenders back on.

Remember when you were a kid and you clipped on baseball cards in the spokes so it sounded like an engine? I dreamed of having a real motor on my bike. It's just as much fun as I imagined it would be. :cool:(y)

Jon

I do remember baseball cards clipped in the spokes with a clothespin. We also used balloons partially filled with air and tied to the fender brace. Sounded more like a Harley. Ha.

Musdang

Not Quite Legendary
I like rocking out with my humble Squire, I've only been playing guitar for about eight months now and practicing daily for about six months, so far the hardest stuff I can play is Johnny B. Goode and the outro solo to Comfortably Numb. As of recently I've tried a bit of woodworking and so far I like it!!
View attachment 145263
(Five thumbs up to whoever know what race track is on display:p)

And if I get really bored I'll do a bit of drawing.
View attachment 145264

@PoorManRC Did you ever drag those Mustangs?
Spa fracorchaps!
Interesting that this thread should pop up in my feed tonight as I was just thinking about the same thing while doing winter maintenance on one of my bicycles. This is very long, but is only a small glimpse of who I am at my core.

I have been a recreational bicyclist since about age 4. When I was growing up, everything we did, we kids rode our bikes. When I was 16, i really didn't care about getting my driver's license, because everything we did, we just rode. I currently co-lead local bike rides and try to help out new riders as much as possible. I recently worked at a national bike store and co-worked on starting a local independent bike store after the major national chain store (top 3 of the chain of 110) closed due to Chapter 11. I am currently working with another independent bike store on the side of my full time IT job. I'm genetically capable of racing, but have always kept cycling as a non-competitive "hobby" so that I have an outlet that is as stress free as possible. Competition tends to bring the worst out of me (and as I see it in general, most people too),. This is my "free" space. I keep my "flying" in this category, and consider myself a recreational freestyle pilot.

This was about 4 years ago at 48 when I was at my peak fitness and conditioning on an American Diabetes Association, Tour de Cure / World Bicycle relief charity ride at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
(speed x10)

View attachment 153604

GPS log from the ride. 100 miles at an average speed of > 20 mph seat time. Ended up 3rd out of 10 for the 100mi WBR challenge. Nowhere near pro level, but way above most typical charity/hobby riders. Too fast to be slow, too slow to be fast.... Riding/racing a bike at Indy was a dream of mine in my teens. Truly blessed to have been able to hit this goal.

Pic at the end of the ride.
View attachment 153596

Great helmet hair at the end of a really hot, homeless foundation charity ride. This was a really hot and challenging ride. The look: Depleted, borderline Dehydrated, but happy as all get out that it was over!
View attachment 153598

Every year my sisters and I do the Hocking hills winter hike which I started doing with my Dad back in 2005. He no longer is able to do the hike, but my sisters and I continue the tradition. Pic from quite a few years ago. From Left to right: My Dad, Father-In-Law, Me in the bright orange cap, Son at the bottom, and my my oldest Sister:
View attachment 153602

I like to cross train and love flatwater kayak time. Here's a a pic from labor day weekend a few years back where I did a 3 day 75+ mile kayak/camping paddle down the Muskingum river from Zaneseville, OH to Marietta, OH with one of my Cycling/paddling buddies.
View attachment 153599
Link to the Flickr album from that trip which was a totally AWESOME weekend. Muskingum River Trip
Links to trip GPS logs: Day 1, Day 2, Day 3

Pic from a Dawn paddle at a local metro park:
View attachment 153600

Photography is yet another one of my other side hobbies, but I don't do enough of it.

Before I got back into biking and had a family, I was very involved in SCCA SoloII (autocross) racing at the National level for over a decade. Was on the SCCA rules board for the Street-Prepared classes. At my peak, I was at the near top of the class on an underprepaired '86 Vette. Stock engine, gearing was close to perfect, but suspension was pretty sketchy and was relying on old Bias Ply tyres to make up for the suspension deficiencies. Here's a Pic from the SCCA solo nationals in Topeka, KS on the morning of 9/11/2001 before we knew about the attacks. (finished 7th in BSP out of 40+)
View attachment 153603

I have done SO MANY OTHER THINGS, and truly have lead a blessed life! These are just some of the highlights of the last 20 years of my "other lives" outside of flying/FliteTest and doesn't begin to scratch the surface.

Cheers!
Karl Litterer (AKA LitterBug)
Awesome! I got to drive the official pace car for the gp! I live about an hour away!
My main hobby the past 10 years has been sim racing, had a 6 month break from it a few years back and got into RC flying.
I have a pretty good DD setup with three screens. Love seeing two of my favorite hobbies from the same person!

As for me, well first, sorry I’m late. But anyways, I’m a nerd in everything. I can name every iPhone by looking at the back, I’m a pretty good guitar player, bass player, music composer, sound engineer, and my ent even said I have super man hearing. I like to fish, especially boat (specifically on dale hollow), fix antique garden tractors, make Arduino junk, go mtb ing, garden a lot, and mow for some odd reason. There are some more, but the list is too long. Lol! I think I need to cut down on my hobbies! 😂😂😂

Piotrsko

Master member
Don't need to cut down, just need to figure out how to make them pay you.

Nothing like working for a living doing what you like, which is how everybody rich & famous started

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
My other "hobby" was very nearly a job 20+ years ago. I actually went to school for Marine Biology but ended up in IT :LOL:

To keep that spirit alive I've kept salt water tanks on and off over the years. This one has been running for about 4 years now and after a few ups and downs I have things pretty well dialed in. I call it Lily's Reef for my daughter but so far she hasn't helped with any of the maintenance :ROFLMAO:

TooJung2Die

Master member
I built my first motor bicycle about ten years ago. I sold it when we moved. I miss riding it and since we now live in a community that allows golf carts, ATVs and other OHVs I built another. I picked up an old rusty dirt cheap Murray Monterey at a flea market. It took a torch and a lot of PB Blaster to take it apart. After some new tires and paint it looks much better. It makes the trip to the mailbox a lot more fun.

IMG_3507crop.jpg

I call it the "Hardly Davidson". 😆