Out of control - need help on initial setup

RipAir

Out of control - need help on initial setup [solved]

hello!

im just setting up a new quad, with an F3 and frsky receiver - i could successfully bind, but for some reason im not getting the control inputs in cleanflight

the receivers SBUS connection is on CH3 of the flight controller (ofc i also supplied 5V & GND)

the LED of the receiver also acts as expected, red with no connection and green when the taranis is connected
in cleanflight ive set UART3 to serial and told it to use SBUS in the settings

does any one have any ideas, as to what im doing wrong?

thank you!

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Did you select the correct input on the settings page to Sbus AND save it before changing pages. I did that when I first started using clean flight. get used to saving before leaving every page.

RipAir

which input do you mean? pretty sure i didnt forget saving (quite used to that kind of interface)

step by step it was:
- setup: did the calibrations (no saving here)
- ports: activated serial rx on uart3 + saved
- config: set receiver mode to rx_serial and the provider to sbus + saved

only other thing i did is to set the voltage scale to 108, so it matches my measurement
and when i disconnect+reconnect i can also go through all the tabs, where i can confirm the changed settings are still there

ps: just to avoid confusions :p
when i go into the receiver tab, i cant get any of the bars to move (default AETR1234 channel map)
and ofc with the taranis connected, green light lit on the receiver and im getting a signal strength indication on the taranis

also, on the taranis ive mapped every thing with the default channels (1234)

Last edited:

Habakkukk

Fly Eagles, Fly!
Hello RipAir and welcome to the quad forums!
So "Ch 3" probably means uart 3 but I just wanted to make sure. "ch 3"on the fc is the left uart "rx" pin correct? Pictures of your installation could possibly shed some light on your issue.

RipAir

thank you! feels cozy here :p and love your nick :D

not sure if i understand you completely; basically im using the 1st 3 pins from IO2 (wide 8pin cable), which should be GND, VCC, CH3

ps: in my lack of possible explanations i also tried hooking it to IO1, which should correspond to GND, VCC, CH1 - hoping some one might have messed up the labels on the soldermask :eek:

Last edited:

Habakkukk

Fly Eagles, Fly!
So I use this board regularly (I build a lot of quads for myself, family and friends lol) and I generally ignor the plugs and directly solder to the board.
image.jpeg
I use the "rx" on the left (left of the usb) as my serial signal in. The + out is 5v so I use this "rail" to power my rx as well. (If I'm using a serial rx)
I recommend trying this as I know it SHOULD work properly on your setup (port 3 in cleanflight, sbus enabled)
Good luck!

Last edited:

RipAir

holy cod! i did the 1st thing any network technician would do, but seemingly the last thing i thought of - changed the cable and its working now!!! thank you guys!! and/or ladies :p

Habakkukk

Fly Eagles, Fly!
holy cod! i did the 1st thing any network technician would do, but seemingly the last thing i thought of - changed the cable and its working now!!! thank you guys!! and/or ladies :p

Awesome! I started soldering directly to the board for that same reason. Glad you got it working