• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

P-38 Build

herbertjalarcon

I just finished my P-38...super awesome build, though it's not my best work...lost of crinkles...but I'm sure it will fly great! Maiden on Saturday...I'll post the video!

Attachments

The Hangar

It looks great! My P-38 is half way done, but I had to stop and wait for electronics to arrive. They are here now but as several other projects have sprung up in the mean time, I won’t be getting to it for probably a month. I’ve really been enjoying the build so far though! :)

herbertjalarcon

It looks great! My P-38 is half way done, but I had to stop and wait for electronics to arrive. They are here now but as several other projects have sprung up in the mean time, I won’t be getting to it for probably a month. I’ve really been enjoying the build so far though! :)
Main thing is take your time on the booms...they crinkle easily, but other than the small parts to glue together, it was an awesome build...9 hours total over two days...and now I can't wait to fly it!

K3V0

Duuuuude! That is sweet! Nice build. The lightning is on the list so I’ll watching for how it goes! Welcome to the forums btw! Are you getting any snow rn?

A question for you guys that have built or are building the P38. As posted elsewhere, I am currently building this model from downloaded plans and have reached the stage of putting the booms onto the wing. When I position them at the measurements given in the build video
( 5.5 inches out at the leading edge and 7.5 inches out at the trailing edge) the ends of the booms are not in alignment with the location slots in the horizontal stabilizer - they are over an inch too close together. I realise that some inaccuracies creep in when making and using templates to cut out the foam, but everything so far has gone together perfectly. Luckily, I have not glued the booms in place, so not a big deal to slide them further out on the wing, but it really puzzles me why it is so far out. Has anyone else had this issue? The positioning marks, which presumably are on the laser cut parts in the kit, did not print out clearly on the plan which is why I used the measurements given in the build video. Perhaps someone who has built the model from a kit could confirm that the measurements I am using are completely accurate and not a 'guesstimate' Thanks in advance for any info.

The Hangar

A question for you guys that have built or are building the P38. As posted elsewhere, I am currently building this model from downloaded plans and have reached the stage of putting the booms onto the wing. When I position them at the measurements given in the build video
( 5.5 inches out at the leading edge and 7.5 inches out at the trailing edge) the ends of the booms are not in alignment with the location slots in the horizontal stabilizer - they are over an inch too close together. I realise that some inaccuracies creep in when making and using templates to cut out the foam, but everything so far has gone together perfectly. Luckily, I have not glued the booms in place, so not a big deal to slide them further out on the wing, but it really puzzles me why it is so far out. Has anyone else had this issue? The positioning marks, which presumably are on the laser cut parts in the kit, did not print out clearly on the plan which is why I used the measurements given in the build video. Perhaps someone who has built the model from a kit could confirm that the measurements I am using are completely accurate and not a 'guesstimate' Thanks in advance for any info.
I had that issue as well - what @mach1 rc did was he lined up the front of the boom and then adjusted the rear.