Help! Programming dsmx spectrum 636 rx for safe and as3x

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Hi guys...so I'm selling an eflite plane, but I need to sell it with the Rx, an spectrum 636 with safe and as3x...
But it needs to be programmed for the Timber, from my google searches, it appears as if you need a special USB cable to program it...
But some people are telling me that you can program it through the tx....
Which one is true or are they both true??
The guy that's buying it has a RadioMaster TX16s...
So he would want to program it with that.

Please help... I'm confused 😝.

@FlyingMonkey @The Hangar @JasonK @Bricks @SquirrelTail

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Hi guys...so I'm selling an eflite plane, but I need to sell it with the Rx, an spectrum 636 with safe and as3x...
But it needs to be programmed for the Timber, from my google searches, it appears as if you need a special USB cable to program it...
But some people are telling me that you can program it through the tx....
Which one is true or are they both true??
The guy that's buying it has a RadioMaster TX16s...
So he would want to program it with that.

Please help... I'm confused 😝.

@FlyingMonkey @The Hangar @JasonK @Bricks @SquirrelTail

Not seeing anything about stick programming. Everything involves the cable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LMIPTFK/?tag=lstir-20

https://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/AS3X Quickstart Programming Guide.pdf

Bricks

Master member
Any of the Spektrum DX series with the updated firmware can program an AS3X receiver wirelessly as long as the receiver is not one of the locked ones. There is a work around for the Radiomaster TX16s but it is a real pain in the butt to get it up and running. There are a few guys on RCGroups doing just that.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Spektrum is about to hit some very hard times. The Taranis was bad enough, but they're steering so far towards the high end market, they're going to lose all the entry level people. The DXe and the DXs are absolute garbage.

The RadioMasters and the Jumper radios will take over the market that Spektrum has neglected and those beginners will stick with the brand that got them into the hobby.

Spektrum is turning into the AMA of radios.

Musdang

Not Quite Legendary
Spektrum is about to hit some very hard times. The Taranis was bad enough, but they're steering so far towards the high end market, they're going to lose all the entry level people. The DXe and the DXs are absolute garbage.

The RadioMasters and the Jumper radios will take over the market that Spektrum has neglected and those beginners will stick with the brand that got them into the hobby.

Haha well everyone at my field says radiomaster is trash and that spektrum is the holy grail. I might give radiomaster a try. I mean it’s cheaper than the entry level programmable spektrum! Lol

Musdang

Not Quite Legendary
Has anyone heard about graupner lately? The only way I even know what they are is from the old build videos.

CappyAmeric

Elite member

I’ve used Spektrum for years. All my receivers are Spektrum, and I have DX6 and iX12 transmitters. I started using a Radio Master TX16s, and I am gradually moving all my models over. It is a great radio. I’ve moved some of my E-Flite BNF with AS3X and SAFE over to the Radio Master with excellent results. With ELRS and DJI taking the FPV world by storm, you would think Spektrum would understand… don’t be a Fat Shark - innovate or die. My iX12 cost more than twice as much as my TX16S, and the iX12 is DOG SLOW, and the menus were invented by a cave troll.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Has anyone heard about graupner lately? The only way I even know what they are is from the old build videos.

Ehhhh... yeah. They had terrible support here in the USA. I have a couple of the radios, and they're good enough, but when I had trouble with one of them, getting any sort of assistance was nearly impossible. I was glad to see FT step back from partnering with them.

Haha well everyone at my field says radiomaster is trash and that spektrum is the holy grail. I might give radiomaster a try. I mean it’s cheaper than the entry level programmable spektrum! Lol

I'm willing to bet that every single one of them that claims RadioMaster is trash, has never even touched one.

I have been a Spektrum guy for over a decade. I got in with JR when they partnered with them for the 2.4 transition. But I wouldn't recommend a Spektrum radio to anyone now, as long as the RadioMasters are available.

I bought one, and the only downside is that they are such capable and upgradable systems, that they can be intimidating to someone just getting into the hobby.

Musdang

Not Quite Legendary
Ehhhh... yeah. They had terrible support here in the USA. I have a couple of the radios, and they're good enough, but when I had trouble with one of them, getting any sort of assistance was nearly impossible. I was glad to see FT step back from partnering with them.

I'm willing to bet that every single one of them that claims RadioMaster is trash, has never even touched one.

I have been a Spektrum guy for over a decade. I got in with JR when they partnered with them for the 2.4 transition. But I wouldn't recommend a Spektrum radio to anyone now, as long as the RadioMasters are available.

I bought one, and the only downside is that they are such capable and upgradable systems, that they can be intimidating to someone just getting into the hobby.
Ok, yes, I could see why, and I agree.

Ligbaer

50 Percenter

my RM bricked nothing works at all,my dx6i died a while before that. i don't think i will be recommending transmitters to people anymore