Project F-14 Tomcat

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
So I decided to go big or go home and flew the tomcat with the wings fixed at max sweep, 68 degrees. Gave it a hard toss and it went fine. It is really roll sensitive in the air though but that's not a surprise. The backlash on the stabs doesn't help either, I will improve that on the next version. Also the slight shift in cg is notable. Kinda ran out of battery, tried to make one more turn so I wouldn't overshoot my landing but couldn't make it back and ended up taking a nice long walk of shame into the crops :cool: The jet is totally fine though. I'll put the timer on next time!

L Edge

Master member
Can't wait until you change angle in flight. Which way are you going to do it? Forward to aft or reverse?

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
Can't wait until you change angle in flight. Which way are you going to do it? Forward to aft or reverse?
I will make the sweep work midflight on the next version, Im not sure how to slow down a servo using dx6i transmitter as it cant do it, if someone knows a way let me know. Im thinking about getting some programmable 180 deg servos that I can slow down. Also thinking about turning the swing arms with a gear on the servo and gear teeth on the swing arm as someone suggested in this thread very early on.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
I will make the sweep work midflight on the next version, Im not sure how to slow down a servo using dx6i transmitter as it cant do it, if someone knows a way let me know. Im thinking about getting some programmable 180 deg servos that I can slow down. Also thinking about turning the swing arms with a gear on the servo and gear teeth on the swing arm as someone suggested in this thread very early on.
You can get a servo delay from Value Hobby for about $3.

Matagami Designs

Master member
Thank you! A shame that your got destroyed, it looked good with the jolly rogers livery

Thanks. One thought on the swing wings is to try and put a hard stop between the wing and wing box for the forward position so that during landing the inertia of the wings trying to maintain moving forward dosen't stress the servo but goes into the stop. i hope that makes sense. i think my setup would have worked better if i had a slightly bigger servo and did that.

Attachments

• 1595804494807.png
    1595804494807.png
    91 KB · Views: 0

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
Thanks. One thought on the swing wings is to try and put a hard stop between the wing and wing box for the forward position so that during landing the inertia of the wings trying to maintain moving forward dosen't stress the servo but goes into the stop. i hope that makes sense. i think my setup would have worked better if i had a slightly bigger servo and did that.
Yea that definitely makes sense

L Edge

Master member

What part gave out that put it into the dirt?

Matagami Designs

Master member
What part gave out that put it into the dirt?

I just had no control at low speed. I think I needed more throw on the elevons. It would have been fine if I did elevator and ailerons but the way I had the elevons set up only 50% of the total throw is for pitch control.

DazDaMan

Elite member
Tomcat is back!

The F-14 Tomcat v1 is finally finished. I have now 2 successful flights on the tomcat with the wings fixed at 20 degrees sweep. The first attempt was a failed launch, I thought it was a smart idea to toss it holding from one of the engine housings, far away from the mid line of the plane. Well, it made a flip and dived into the ground. I had to rebuild the nose, not a big deal. I also added a point under the fuselage to grab on for tossing. The second attempt was a huge success. The tomcat performed beautifully in the air, but that flight was not recorded. The third flight was pretty much as successful as the first one and there is a video also.

Here are some numbers for the F-14:

Length: 1260 mm (scale 1:15)
Wingspan: on 20-68 deg. sweep: 820-1350 mm (Sweep mechanism does not exist yet)
Weight: 1900 g
Static thrust: 1900g at 90A

My stuff:

Edf: 2x fms 11 blade 64mm
esc: 2x 60A skywalker
External bec for the receiver and servos
Batteries for edf 2x 4s 1550mah 100-120C
Batteries for receiver and servos: 2x 2s 350mah
2x sg90 servo for the stabs

That is rather awesome!