Project F-14 Tomcat

GrizWiz

Elite member
After the secong build. Im trying to make the second f-14 on the upcoming fall, its going to have many improvements over the current one. I also have constructed a cnc router this summer, its definitely coming in handy cutting the foam and the new wingbox which will have gear teeth for the sweep. Maybe even some vinyl decals?
How did you make the cnc I've been wanting to build one?

vicentel

here are some f-14 foamboard plans if someone wants to try them
2 sheets of foam board
I love these plans! I've built this same foamy 3x now over the past 10 years. I just built this one and it's the best one yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1749[1].JPG
    IMG_1749[1].JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1751[1].JPG
    IMG_1751[1].JPG
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1752[1].JPG
    IMG_1752[1].JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

GrizWiz

Elite member
Thanks! The original designer was Maybz on RCGroups. If you look at the pictures you'll see the wings swing forward and back just like the real F14. I mixed the swing-wing with the throttle so as you go faster the wings sweep back.
That's a great idea!

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
One more flight video of the f-14, this time with a gopro attached on the top. This flight was not as good mainly because I had very little space to fly due to a farmer driving his tractor one of the fields in the middle of the crops. Also it was quite windy, luckily the gopro has an unbelievable good image stabilisation. The sad news are that this was the last flight of this jet. I am going to disassemble it soon. That's the spirit of prototyping, one has to be ready to make sacrifices to build something new.

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
Im slowly starting to build the tomcat 2.0. I have redesigned the wingbox and started to build it. The 8 foam sheets are finished and ready to be converted into gcode. For the sweep Im using two ds-239hv servos one of which I have reversed. Here is all the stuff that goes in this jet. Im probaby going to add rudders and flapperons in this version, Im definitely not sure if its worth the weight but I want to see how this model behaves with the added funktionalities. The flapperons would work only in forward sweep flightmode. I am currently converting my cnc to belt drive so the next update will take some time.

Attachments

• P1320682.JPG
    P1320682.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 0

GrizWiz

Elite member
Im slowly starting to build the tomcat 2.0. I have redesigned the wingbox and started to build it. The 8 foam sheets are finished and ready to be converted into gcode. For the sweep Im using two ds-239hv servos one of which I have reversed. Here is all the stuff that goes in this jet. Im probaby going to add rudders and flapperons in this version, Im definitely not sure if its worth the weight but I want to see how this model behaves with the added funktionalities. The flapperons would work only in forward sweep flightmode. I am currently converting my cnc to belt drive so the next update will take some time.
Great!

Kai-003

That wing sweep mechanism looks heavy and complicated. I don't think I have the resources to make one. I think i'll just stick to my mini f-14 for now.

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
That wing sweep mechanism looks heavy and complicated. I don't think I have the resources to make one. I think i'll just stick to my mini f-14 for now.

You are right this jet is definitely not the easiest one to make. This f-14 is meant to be a high performance jet so the wingbox needs to be very stiff. But stiffness costs weight... No way around it. Im aiming for 1700-1800g for the total weight.

L Edge

Master member
I agree with Vincetel F-14 (above) since I not only made that swing wing aft, i used the same plan to have a design that doesn't exist. That design is super tough and flies not only can be moved aft, it morphs to fly swept forward controlled by the throttle. His simple 1 servo design has a large weight bearing area that allows easy movement of the wing.

If you look below and follow his exact positioning of servo, arms etc, it will not bind up on you. I added graphite powder on my surfaces to mine so I can get the wing to move forward as well as aft.
Maybiz on RCgroups allows downloading so you can have a F-14 with a movable swing wing by throttle. It is simple and fool proof. On one arm I added a threaded setup so when the other wing touches, you can adjust the other wing so it does the same. Look for MDC F-14 plans and pic in the pusher prop section.. Vincetel does a nice job of decorating his, mine not so. Still have it after many years.