Project F-14 Tomcat

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
Just started cutting the sheets for the f-14, I'm going to switch my 12v power supply to a to a 24v one to be able to use faster feedrates as Im using only a 500 kv motor. Thanks to christmas holiday I have more time now to make stuff. Im also making a 3d printer right now so I got a lot to do. Anyways you can expect some build updates of the f-14 soon!

Attachments

• IMG_20201229_212007.jpg
    IMG_20201229_212007.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0

tamuct01

I like the foil duct tape on the seams and leading edges of the foam. Does it take paint better than packing tape and others?

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
The wingbox is not glued together yet, I have some concerns of how the covers will fit because its slightly thicker than on the first one. The wingbox ended up at 220g and the mass estimation on the whole thing is 1800 g which is a bit less than the first one.

Attachments

• P1320793.JPG
    P1320793.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • P1320796.JPG
    P1320796.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 0

Captain Jay

Elite member
The wingbox is not glued together yet, I have some concerns of how the covers will fit because its slightly thicker than on the first one. The wingbox ended up at 220g and the mass estimation on the whole thing is 1800 g which is a bit less than the first one.
So, have you ever tried installing retracts on a plane that size? Or made plans to accommodate retracts? The FMS Yak 70 mm jet has perfect landing gear for this size of plane...
Just curious...

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
So, have you ever tried installing retracts on a plane that size? Or made plans to accommodate retracts? The FMS Yak 70 mm jet has perfect landing gear for this size of plane...
Just curious...
Yes I have thought about it but for now Im not interested to spend extra money on retracts which would also make the plane heavier. I also don't have a flying field nearby so its just a lot easier not to have them

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
Everything beginns fit together, only the vertical and horizontal stabs are missing. I have done all the cable management, there are 8 servos in total. Im using the frsky x8r receiver and the x9 lite transmitter. Next up I need to program the transmitter. I'm planing to do it in such a way that there are 3 flightmodes connected to a 3 position switch. The extended mode, half swept mode and fully swept mode. Flapperons on the main wings are are functional only in the extended mode. The elevons and rudders are functional in all flight modes and I can adjust their travel, expo and trim amount in each flightmode separately. One problem I have found with this setup is that as far as I'm concerned there is nothing that prevents sweeping the wings if the flaps are down, and in this case the flaps would hit the fuselage. I'm still quite new to frsky radios and dont know much about them, if someone knows how to do it better please teach me! :)
P1320860.JPG
P1320868.JPG
P1320870.JPG

chris398mx

Master member
Everything beginns fit together, only the vertical and horizontal stabs are missing. I have done all the cable management, there are 8 servos in total. Im using the frsky x8r receiver and the x9 lite transmitter. Next up I need to program the transmitter. I'm planing to do it in such a way that there are 3 flightmodes connected to a 3 position switch. The extended mode, half swept mode and fully swept mode. Flapperons on the main wings are are functional only in the extended mode. The elevons and rudders are functional in all flight modes and I can adjust their travel, expo and trim amount in each flightmode separately. One problem I have found with this setup is that as far as I'm concerned there is nothing that prevents sweeping the wings if the flaps are down, and in this case the flaps would hit the fuselage. I'm still quite new to frsky radios and dont know much about them, if someone knows how to do it better please teach me! :) View attachment 188807 View attachment 188808 View attachment 188809
I am pretty sure you can program if/then statements that would check for if the flaps are down and if they are, it would not allow a wing sweep. I have a friend that is good a programing that kind of stuff, but I am not. I know this doesn't solve your problem, but I am pretty sure it can be done with Open TX.

Pieliker96

Elite member
Everything beginns fit together, only the vertical and horizontal stabs are missing. I have done all the cable management, there are 8 servos in total. Im using the frsky x8r receiver and the x9 lite transmitter. Next up I need to program the transmitter. I'm planing to do it in such a way that there are 3 flightmodes connected to a 3 position switch. The extended mode, half swept mode and fully swept mode. Flapperons on the main wings are are functional only in the extended mode. The elevons and rudders are functional in all flight modes and I can adjust their travel, expo and trim amount in each flightmode separately. One problem I have found with this setup is that as far as I'm concerned there is nothing that prevents sweeping the wings if the flaps are down, and in this case the flaps would hit the fuselage. I'm still quite new to frsky radios and dont know much about them, if someone knows how to do it better please teach me! :) View attachment 188807 View attachment 188808 View attachment 188809

I'm not familiar with frSky. With that said, here's how I would do that on Graupner (will not apply if there is an easier solution):

Add a mix of the wing sweep channel to itself that is only active when the flaps are down. Set the dual rates to -100% (effectively nullifying any movement on the channel when the flaps are deployed) and set the offset to keep them in the unswept position. Of course, do this without the model powered up and look at the channels on the TX to verify it won't try to break anything before trying it with the model turned on.