Prop Problems:

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
Today I went to my field, assembled my plane, and throttled up. Then the prop saver's rubber band flew off into some grass. Does anyone know why it came off, or if I am doing something wrong?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I have had that happen to some of my more powerful setups. Try 2 o-rings/rubber-bands.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I really like to cut prop saver rings from silicone (NOT latex) surgical tubing. They do have to be replaced more often due to sunlight damage though.

Thurmond

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
That's a good idea. I usually pick up a bunch at a time from here. Ends up at $.15 each but unless you have something oversize, it's only $2 shipping. I usually grab some any time I order from there.
I also picked up a kit of Nitrile O-rings at Harbor Freight to give them a try. A bunch of different sizes I'll give a try soon. Not sure if those are as cost effective though, but might work better on the higher pulling setups that currently need 2 bands to work...

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
I'm sure that all of those ideas would work, and my prop savers aren't breaking, they're coming off. I found one after it came off and it was fine. I'm wondering if the screws are in too tight giving it less grip, or if the prop saver is tensioned too much on one side..?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
No, it's probably just that you need use either thicker O-rings or double up. The ones that came off for me were also whole and not broken, just needed stronger griping power. Under heavy throttle, the prop will lag behind the motor some and if the O-ring isn't strong enough, the prop will lever it off the screws.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I'm with Thermond on this one. Latex rubber tubing works wonderfully. I use the "Theraband" blue exercise tubing -- not the cheapest, but reliable and a foot of tube will give you ~50-60 bands.

Personally, I don't trust the O-Rings included in the kits. They just don't hold tight enough for my taste. Sure, they go on easier, but if it's easy to put on, then it's not holding the prop firmly against the adaptor. If it's not firm against the adaptor, it's going to wobble, fly poorly and get loose.

Might just be my paranoia speaking but make sure it's really held on TIGHT!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Techno,

I hope you don't mind me asking, but how would the wrong prop not still be held on by the propsaver?

I understand it may not be the prop you intended -- I do that from time to time -- but why won't the rubber band hold on one prop as well as another?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Techno,

I hope you don't mind me asking, but how would the wrong prop not still be held on by the propsaver?

I understand it may not be the prop you intended -- I do that from time to time -- but why won't the rubber band hold on one prop as well as another?
I was thinking the same thing as I read it... Unless it was just too big for the application.

squishy

Pirate ParkFlyer
take a rubber band and wrap it around the prop saver till it's tight...the o rings are brittle and hard to find...rubber bands work better and are easy to find..

squishy

Pirate ParkFlyer
Techno,

I have a pile of props and I have used prop savers, some props fit better, they seat on the saver better, some prop savers are two sided with different diameter seats on each side for this reason. It is very helpful to have a prop fit correctly on a prop saver. If you don't have a pile of different props from companies all over the world and a few prop savers to test you would never know this, but it's true..

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
Funny, and somewhat confusing story. I was using a prop for a 1.5mm shaft, the prop saver has an extension of 3mm to hold a propeller in place. Since I was using a 1.5mm prop, the rubber overextended and tended to fling itself off at high RPM. Once I got an APC prop with a 3mm hole, the whole thing worked just fine.