Psyborgs Edge 540 build log

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
New stuff added to post #2. That cowl piece alone is what sets the skill level for this build so high

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
O.K. I got the wings built and was doing a test fit. I found that I have a slight twist in the fuse.

I am gonna take a guess and go with the wings being parallel with the elevator is more important if the fuselage has a slight lean.

I have started shimming the main wing and want to confirm this is correct before I make the change permanant.

I have also added more pics to post #2

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
In all the excitement, don't forget to triple check the directions of your control surfaces.

Reversed elevators are the worst.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
what motor are you using?

just curious, i am dragging my feet on a couple build because i don't really like the C-pack motor for this application. any thought on an alternative would be appreciated.

thanks,

me :cool:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I am using the motor, esc, and props from the C pack since I have it on hand. I just robbed my ft3d.

I did however steal the 19g metal gear servos out of my Dynam Pitts thats been sitting dormant for over 3 years now maybe longer.

Ben H told me the motor would do fine on 3s since I only have 10x4.5s props on hand.

At some point it will get a larger esc and 9x4.5 props so I can run smaller 4s batteries I already have for my quads. 7 packs to fly vs 1 makes for a better day of flight. (Once I can actually do so)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
In all the excitement, don't forget to triple check the directions of your control surfaces.

Reversed elevators are the worst.

Nah, in my experience reversed ailerons are the worst. :p I can tell a reversed elevator pretty quickly once it's in the air and once I even had time to adjust my brain and (roughly) land. I only seem to figure out reversed ailerons at the crash site.

basslord1124

Master member
Looking good! Looking forward to the rest of the progress, finished product, and some flight footage.

The Edge is on my already huge list of future projects although I think it's coolness and sweet looks might bump it up a little higher. I do wanna finish these other projects I got going on first though. It generally takes me a month or so to do an FT build anyways.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ok.. slight breeze today. The grass has dried up nicely so I went out to do the glide tests.

No spare hands were around to film it but over all they wete successful.

With my wrecked shoulders I managed to get a good level 20ft glide that did not just nose dive out of my hand as they have neen on all my other builds.

I did however find that a better method to secure the main wing is a necessity.

Ben Harber showed me a neat way to do it with packing tape and velcro. Safly I only have clear Gorilla tape and that has proven to be to stretchy.

I think I will make a hard stop at the trailing edge to keep it in place and straight then use velcro to secure the leading edge down keeping the wing removable for now.

I will cut the aileron hinges and do all the control rods this evening and be ready for the maiden as soon as weather permits. Calling for rain again here next few days.

basslord1124

Master member
Just curious, but how do folks do glide tests...like with electronics and battery plugged or unplugged? No electronics/power pod at all?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Just curious, but how do folks do glide tests...like with electronics and battery plugged or unplugged? No electronics/power pod at all?
By the time I finish typing this it is likely that you have been swamped with posts but I will continue just in case they are still asleep.

Glide tests are best done in the way you wish to fly it, and this includes weight. So normally you complete the build, and the fitout, fit the battery, adjust the control throws and check the control surfaces operate properly and then launch it.

Basically as you would perform the maiden but without motor power.

Just one thing though it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to ensure that your launch has sufficient power and speed to ensure that the plane being tested actually achieves aerodynamic flight. In my case as I am starting to feel old I use a bungee launcher and since doing so I have had a lot more uneventful glide tests and maidens than even before.

Have fun!