Pun Jet- Anyone built one yet?

Pity_the_fool

I too had the same experience as the rest. I chased this thing all around the field on two different days trying to get a decent flight out of it and finally gave up. I had the thing dialed down to like 50% dual rate and and 50% expo and never got a flight longer than 30 seconds. I swear in the videos there were some sequences where Peter was flying slowly, but it seemed like I could only get it to fly at mach 1. I to am going to try Sponz's baby baron. I am bummed, I really wanted to love this plane.

Winglet

I too wanted to love it, so much that I had an idea. I may try to convert a Versa Wing into a large version of the Pun Jet? :rolleyes: Seems like it would be easy to do? The Versa Wing is such a great flier. I'll bet it could be a real neat airplane? What do you guys think about that?

BigWave

"The combination of really small and really fast isn't good in my book."

I think that sums it up quite well. Mine does fly but it sure doesn't like slow. Go faster and orientation becomes an issue quickly. It was a fun experiment but I'm in the process of re-purposing the electronics to a 4 channel Tiny Trainer. I want a relaxing small park flier.

I still appreciate that this was an FT fan request and an easy scratch build.

Flynn

I had some luck with it. My setup was a 250 motor, 5x4 prop and a 800mah battery. I tried at first with the recommended 500mah and it didn't like that at all. I then used the 800mah as far up front at I could. Don't be afraid to crank up the expo. The roll rate is insane. It's not a beginner plane, it needs speed. Also, you don't have to glue the wing to the fuse, mine was a tight fit. This helps in a rough landing.

hope this helps!

omgsparks

Take off gear

I've had big problems getting my Pun Jet trimmed out. My biggest problem is that I am not quick enough to counter torque roll when hand launching. Hand launch maiden is really intimidating to me. Launching a plane that I know and have already trimmed out is no problem but I just keep on beating my Pun Jet's nose up with failed launches.

In a final attempt I have now made the Training Wheel Take Off-Wagon™ inspired by the Durafly Me-163 Komet that has a wheel that falls off on take off.

4lWZ2BP.jpg

SBFq0p7.jpg

jFWulW9.jpg

ZR7FByC.jpg

I have not had the chance to test it yet due to crazy wind conditions. The idea is to use the wagon for taking off. Should stay on the ground when the plane climbs. Hoping to be able to use it for trimming and get the feel for the plane.

Last edited:

Flynn

Good Idea, but I think the prop will hit the front of your carrier before it gets in the air. Nice thinking outside the box! Let us know how it goes.

richb2599

Makinger, what a great idea with your "takeoff gear". I have had some exciting flights with this "Rocket" but the hand launches are difficult to say the least! So I thought I'd try your idea with a few modifications (Thinks I have way too much free time on my hands, lol) Anyway, here's what I came up with. I did some high speed taxi tests and it tracks straight on pavement. Too windy around here right now to try takeoffs. Thanks again for the great idea. Let's hope they both work!

Attachments

• IMG_20150513_162443_hdr (800x600).jpg
    IMG_20150513_162443_hdr (800x600).jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20150513_162636 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_20150513_162636 (800x600).jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 12

richb2599

Thats' cool Rich. Make sure you report back on what happens.

Well, didn't work so good😕. Prop hit the forward support. I might keep trying after some modifications. I did manage to hand launch successfully by holding a little right aileron and up elevator. Once you survive the hand launch the flight is a blast!

omgsparks

Wow! Looks great with the paint job and the wheels!

Did not consider the risk of the prop hitting the cart. Will be away from my RC models for a few weeks now, but I want to try to get it off the ground once I am back in action. In 3 weeks or so.

Maybe possible to do a shorter support in the center area and instead extend support and skids under each wing. Hopefully clearing the path of the prop.

I'm wondering if a KFM airfoil might help tame this little beast a bit. Anybody try one yet?

I'm having the same issues previously stated. Using an MT1806, 6x4 prop and 15A ESC with a 1000mAH 3S in the nose. Mine balances a little nose heavy based on the recommended CG. I'm thinking I may have just tried to fly it too slow when I maidened it.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I doubt it will -- she's very well behaved at high speed, but at low speed she's just too small.

Small stubby wings for the weight and small control surfaces fit the bill of what she was designed for -- a pocket rocket sized to the pocket -- but they're the last thing you want with a slow-flyer. I don't think you can add lift faster than you're adding weight to make her behave at slower speeds.

fidracer

I've got a bit of flight time on mine and never had a problem with control. I launch at about 75% throttle and then reduce to about 60% once at altitude to cruise around, and that's with the 1806 motor with a 5x4.3 prop. Any less throttle and I start to lose altitude. It's not crazy fast but it doesn't fly slowly either. The toughest part for me is maintaining orientation because it starts to get small quickly unless you're just flying a tight pattern around yourself. I've found that my Bloody Wonder is easier to fly when I'm pulling a streamer in combat. The streamer acts like a damper. I wonder if the same thing--streamers on the end plates--could make the Pun Jet fly more slowly and with easier control. I need to try that out.

BambooRocket

Veteran Rookie
My wife built one and was super excited about it! I told her from my experience flying with elevons that I should maiden this one. Well I hand launched it and it spiraled like a dart. I did some adjusting and just COULD not get the dang thing to fly... Off to build a storch now. Sorry everyone who couldnt get it to work, but you're not alone!

richb2599

Yep, that's exactly what mine would do. Spiral. If I could somehow get past that it would fly great. Fast but great. Finally decided to decommissioned her and use the electronics for something else.

model3113

I know the FT crew didn't have much luck with a rocket motor, but I would like to try it. I watched the demo and the build videos, and I can't see how the motor was secured, aside from just the obvious "jam it in with some glue." I would assume making a PP and sticking it in backwards would be effective.

waynemia

No PunJet

I built this hoping for a fun little plane. I watched the videos and it looked awesome. I built it step by step with the video. I ordered the power pack so I would have the right motor, ESC, etc. Unfortunately, the prop was not the one that was recommended and the motor would not run properly. They sent me a new motor promptly. I did not get the water proof version and that was a mistake.

I did the power off tests and that was a bad idea. It just nosed in to the ground causing minor damage. I decided to go too power on testing.

I fly wings from 30" to 84" so I have a lot of elevon experience. I also fly FireFlys which have elevons and a rudder. I fly a Multiplex FunJet Ultra so I am experienced with speed.

I can't get this one in the air! It is a HARD roll left and not enough aileron to fix it. I have tried going easy on the throttle to reduce the torque roll but not happening so far. My next two plans to try to get this thing flying is a 5x3 prop and/or a 2S battery. I have been keeping on the CG recommendation. I may need to go a little nose heavy and shoot it out of a cannon.

I have a friend with a Kadet Senior so we may try piggy backing that thing up.

Anyway, I really want this to work but just a lot of frustration so far. :mad: