Question about DIY aircraft

So, I’ve recently been trying to get into the hobby of RC planes, and I was thinking I would buy a Fokker from the mighty mini series. It said stuff about the propellers and battery, but nothing about a controller and stuff. So I was hoping someone could tell me what I need to assemble and fly it. Thanks

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
in my signature I have a 'getting started as cheep as possible' which would cover the minimum set of stuff to get started. for a first plane, I would recommend something designed to be a trainer, like the tiny trainer or the new tutor.

if you get an FT speedbuild kit and the recommended power pack for it, you still need a TX and RX, a battery and charger, and the crafting supplies to assemble it.

the battery you need depends on the plane your making, there is often a recommendation on the store page for that. Then you need a charger that matches the battery.

Musdang

Not Quite Legendary
So, I’ve recently been trying to get into the hobby of RC planes, and I was thinking I would buy a Fokker from the mighty mini series. It said stuff about the propellers and battery, but nothing about a controller and stuff. So I was hoping someone could tell me what I need to assemble and fly it. Thanks
If you don’t want to watch a video, I think I can help!

If you want the electronics (EXEPT the radio and receiver and battery), you could get the power pack. The one for the triplane is power pack A I think. If you get the battery that’s recommended for that plane, you should be fine. As for a radio, there is a whole lot to choose from. I would recommend a programable radio that you can grow into. For a inexpensive budget radio, I would recommend the FlySky FS-i6X radio. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z8VCB45/?tag=lstir-20
It comes with the receiver and is programmable, meaning that you can change settings with the screen. It can also store 20 receivers/planes at a time.
If you want a bit better of a radio, you can get a spektrum or another brand. I use spektrum, just because how easy and reliable they are to use. If you want a programmable one, I would recommend the DX6E. https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/dx6e-6-channel-dsmx-transmitter-only/SPMR6655.html
It is better quality than the fly sky and can 250 models. If you don’t want a programmable radio, you can get something like the dxs.

I hope this helps at least with the radio part of it! Like mentioned before just watch videos. It will help so much.
You could also try and find a local flying field just to talk to a real person and some guy on a video blabbing. Lol!
You can download a simulator on your computer to try and get the hang of flying before you try it in real life.
I hope you’ll like this crazy hobby and get the hang of it!

Taildragger

Legendary member
If you don’t want to watch a video, I think I can help!

If you want the electronics (EXEPT the radio and receiver and battery), you could get the power pack. The one for the triplane is power pack A I think. If you get the battery that’s recommended for that plane, you should be fine. As for a radio, there is a whole lot to choose from. I would recommend a programable radio that you can grow into. For a inexpensive budget radio, I would recommend the FlySky FS-i6X radio. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z8VCB45/?tag=lstir-20
It comes with the receiver and is programmable, meaning that you can change settings with the screen. It can also store 20 receivers/planes at a time.
If you want a bit better of a radio, you can get a spektrum or another brand. I use spektrum, just because how easy and reliable they are to use. If you want a programmable one, I would recommend the DX6E. https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/dx6e-6-channel-dsmx-transmitter-only/SPMR6655.html
It is better quality than the fly sky and can 250 models. If you don’t want a programmable radio, you can get something like the dxs.

I hope this helps at least with the radio part of it! Like mentioned before just watch videos. It will help so much.
You could also try and find a local flying field just to talk to a real person and some guy on a video blabbing. Lol!
You can download a simulator on your computer to try and get the hang of flying before you try it in real life.
I hope you’ll like this crazy hobby and get the hang of it!
its the power pack F btw

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I have heard that the Fokker is actually pretty hard to get to fly good, so I'd say that you should go with something else like the Tiny Trainer. It might not look as cool, but it will give you a much higher chance of success and once you are good enough to fly the sport wing it will probably be even more capable than the Fokker as well. As for figuring out what else you might need to buy, I agree with @Monte.C. Rather than just going by what people tell you to buy you should watch some FT beginner series videos and do some research on some different things to find what's best for you. For getting electronics you should just start off with the recommended power pack instead of sourcing everything yourself, but the radio system is something where you would want to do some research first to find what you want.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/which-transmitter-you-should-buy.37966/
The linked thread is a good starting point and can help narrow down brands and models of transmitters.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I have heard that the Fokker is actually pretty hard to get to fly good, so I'd say that you should go with something else like the Tiny Trainer. It might not look as cool, but it will give you a much higher chance of success and once you are good enough to fly the sport wing it will probably be even more capable than the Fokker as well. As for figuring out what else you might need to buy, I agree with @Monte.C. Rather than just going by what people tell you to buy you should watch some FT beginner series videos and do some research on some different things to find what's best for you. For getting electronics you should just start off with the recommended power pack instead of sourcing everything yourself, but the radio system is something where you would want to do some research first to find what you want.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/which-transmitter-you-should-buy.37966/
The linked thread is a good starting point and can help narrow down brands and models of transmitters.
I beg to differ about the Fokker. The Fokker DR1 was my third plane and I found it easier to fly than the tiny trainer and it will take quite a beating. If you build and set it up exactly as Josh shows in the build video it will fly right out of your hand. Here is a video of the first flight on my first DR1 from last winter.

SSgt Duramax

So, are we wanting to scratch build? If so, there are tons of recommendations as what you should build.

What is your budget? The easy button is more expensive (sbk and power pack) but you dont have to research a lot. If you dont want that, I would suggest picking a model, and we can help you piece together something that can work on your budget.

Finally, dont go big. For instance, this little 45 dollar radio and receiver can last you quite a while. 6 channels is more than enough for a beginner. I seldom find myself wanting for more.

https://www.racedayquads.com/products/flysky-fs-i6-6ch-2-4ghz-rc-transmitter-w-ia6-rx

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I beg to differ about the Fokker. The Fokker DR1 was my third plane and I found it easier to fly than the tiny trainer and it will take quite a beating. If you build and set it up exactly as Josh shows in the build video it will fly right out of your hand. Here is a video of the first flight on my first DR1 from last winter.

Well keep in mind that this is one experience from one person. Now you might be completely right here, but I have definitely heard some bad things about the Fokker and not as many good stories. Also, building it exactly as Josh shows in the video could be quite difficult for a first time builder.
Since the Tiny Trainer has a solid reputation from anyone who has tried it, I'd still recommend that over the Fokker any day of the week. The thing is even designed to teach new builders how to build and fly.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Well keep in mind that this is one experience from one person. Now you might be completely right here, but I have definitely heard some bad things about the Fokker and not as many good stories. Also, building it exactly as Josh shows in the video could be quite difficult for a first time builder.
Since the Tiny Trainer has a solid reputation from anyone who has tried it, I'd still recommend that over the Fokker any day of the week. The thing is even designed to teach new builders how to build and fly.
Have you built one?

SSgt Duramax

I think that and the size would be the big turn off for me. I am not really a fan of most WW1 planes or tri planes. Learning to fly on smaller planes is tougher. I haven't flown one before though, they could be great for all I know.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
No actually, I haven't yet. That doesn't really stop the things I said from being true though.
Not trying to start an argument. My experience is the only one I've had. I've built three of the DR1s because I enjoy them so much and each one has flown beautifully and I'm not that good a pilot. I'd recommend a tiny trainer as a first plane but it's not that far ahead of the DR1 in what I'd recommend. It's not a hard build, it's much easier to build and fly than the simple Cub, the Sportster or the Commuter - all of which I've seen recommended as a first plane and all of which I've built & flown. Sorry those you've heard from had a bad experience with the DR1. Give it a try, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.