Recommendation question

scratch123

I was recently asked by a elderly lady to build her a plane and get her into the hobby. I was just curious as to what plane yall would recommend, she is in her 70s and so the tiny trainer is out beings she cant hand launch it and so is the tutor beings there is no plans so no cutting out new replacement parts.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
I was recently asked by a elderly lady to build her a plane and get her into the hobby. I was just curious as to what plane yall would recommend, she is in her 70s and so the tiny trainer is out beings she cant hand launch it and so is the tutor beings there is no plans so no cutting out new replacement parts.
If you are making the plane, I would say the ft commuter.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I would build my Sig Kadet Junior.
It flies incredibly well, and really easily.
Landing gear is easy to do, and it is a nice big plane so easy to tell orientation.

Corsair714

I would recommend the simple scout. It is probably my favorite FT plane, well it's tied with the FT mini arrow. The simple scout is meant to be really easy to land and take off. It has a good amount of self leveling and if you have the rates low it can be very docile. Although you can definitely accidently flip it upside down. Has she ever practiced on a simulator? Or tried buddy boxing? It would be good if she tried a simulator before flying a plane.

I would recommend the simple scout. It is probably my favorite FT plane, well it's tied with the FT mini arrow. The simple scout is meant to be really easy to land and take off. It has a good amount of self leveling and if you have the rates low it can be very docile. Although you can definitely accidently flip it upside down. Has she ever practiced on a simulator? Or tried buddy boxing? It would be good if she tried a simulator before flying a plane.
And the most obvious idea here is to have somebody hand launch for her. What she gonna do when she noses over trying to take off??
runway takeoff = an added level of complication
hand launch = a no-brainer

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
....so the tiny trainer is out beings she cant hand launch it ....
+1 on someone else hand launch
You could always add landing gear to the TT.
Or use some type of catapult launching system. I doubt it would need any additional power, just ramps of some sort. The TT doesn't need much of a throw, it more or less flies out of your hand.

Last edited:

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
+1 on the simple scout.
Maybe. If you also put a aurora or something similar in it.... That'll help a LOT!

Do you guys just like to hear yourselves talk?
A real trainer does just fly right out of your hand. Whether she's a new pilot or not, she's out there with a friend to hand launch for her. And a floaty trainer drops itself on the grass at your feet light as a feather. No computer nav gyro craziness. No gear. No catapult. Geez, give me a question we actually have to think about to find the best answer. :rolleyes:

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
A real trainer does just fly right out of your hand. Whether she's a new pilot or not, she's out there with a friend to hand launch for her. And a floaty trainer drops itself on the grass at your feet light as a feather. No computer nav gyro craziness. No gear. No catapult. Geez, give me a question we actually have to think about to find the best answer. :rolleyes:
Why haven't you built my Kadet yet?

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Why haven't you built my Kadet yet?
Then my Kadet Is A Real Trainer, it ticks all those boxes 😂😂

bisco

Elite member
does she have any money? maybe better off with a nice horizon trainer with safe.

a woman in her 70's wanting to fly rc, very unique. i'll be watching for progress, please keep us posted!