recommended swappable power train

debay777

I Love $Tree foam
This has probably been answered time and time again, but its late and I'm tired and I don't feel like trolling the forum. How well do these power trains that are recommended on the FT website actually work on these planes? Is performance snappy? Do they fly fairly fast? Are Josh and the crew flying these planes in their videos with these same systems? I have a Fun Bat loosely modeled after the Bloody Wonder and I'm running a 2200 kV motor (grayson hobby parkjet V2) and a 30 amp ESC and it runs really well. Its a little over powered but it runs good.I just see that the recommended power packs seem so much smaller and run under 10 amps......it doesn't seem like they would run fast or perform well.

I'd skip the 24g motor all together, where I live it's often 10+mph winds and it didn't have the guts to fly up wind with any real progress. I would go with at least a 2822 for the smaller planes, I'm using a 1450kv one on the Bloody wonder with a 7x5e prop with decent results, it's no rocket but will go vertical. I have the NTM 28-26A 1200kv with an 8x6 prop on the spitfire, it's not impressive but will loop and roll with ease, I've also used a turnigy D2826-10 1400kv motor on that plane with an 8x4 prop and i think it was a little faster and had more power.

Theres an emac 2215/09 1180kv motor that is offered as a beef motor it measures 28 33 i think so bigger than the NTM they also list as a beef motor and I think that EMAX motor out performs the NTM.

FT is a little inconsistent with some of their recommendations I've noticed on the build video they will list one thing, on their product page something else, the lazertoyz site will have yet another motor.

I'm looking at some motors on hobbypartz.com that are similar to the EMAX motor mentioned above, and the 3d hobby shop motor, the prices are fair and they seem to get good reviews. the FT recommendations are a pretty good starting point, i've only been at this a few months and I'm already looking for something a bit faster.

-Jes

amtpdb1

I just wish they would tell you the set up they use in the videos. They recommend one thing and fly another. This is why so many people are having trouble with getting these airplanes to fly. You watch the video and want your plane to fly the same as theirs did and they don't. I have asked several times for them to include this information in the videos and they don't. Too many people give advise that is poor or incorrect and newbies go out and buy equipment, and instead of having a good time and keep going, they crash and burn and are disenchanted. If you think I am wrong, just read these each night. Every night there are people saying how they built these and they do not fly and they crash and are unhappy and feel it is their fault and give up. It is not good to have them build per directions and feel that they can't fly planes or will never learn or it's too much trouble when what they don't understand that they are comparing apples to oranges. They are telling you "look how great it fly's" and everyone agrees the one they are watching is flying great. Then they build one and can't figure out why it will not fly like seen on the computer. Come on Flitetest, give these guys a fair chance and at least tell them what you have in the plane. The problem here is that in the past they have responded that they do not have the time to give answers to everyone and need the forum to answer many of these. The problem is that the forum were not there to see what was in the plane. Also, why waste the time typing out how you don't have time when in the time you just said you don't have time, you could have said we used a 2228 motor with a 30 amp esc and 2200 battery. Not that difficult and more informative and the correct information was given, someone is happy as their plane does fly as shown with that set up! So much for my rant.

I agree, there aren't many videos like the FT3D one that actually give you the name of the motor they are using. I and an issue when moving from one motor to another of the same size just but went from 1200 to 1400 kv. I didn't think that was a big deal but apparently the 1200 motor few like crap on the same prop as the 1400kv one. They aren't too clear on that, with the 3 motor choices they give they don't really say witch prop to use on which motor.

I'm a little OCD in the research department so I probably spent every night or so for a few weeks learning about sizes, KV, props, and reading reviews on different motors. I still didn't end up with quite the power pack that I wanted but I've decided I could fly a little better before I beef up any further.

I would like to see Flight test add a beginner setup and an experienced setup to their plans (prop, motor, esc, battery) I know flitetest probably doesn't want to be bias to one brand or another but most motors in a size/kv rating are pretty close in performance. I agree again that even motor size that was used in the review video could be helpful.

-Jes

coldbloodedtx

Totally agree on 28xx sized 1400kv. I've got the Turnigy orange 2826-10 1400kv, 9x3.8 prop (pulls 21A/220W), HK F30A ESC and 2200mah 3S batts on my swappables, and it's a very solid performing setup. I also use this same setup (with the stock 7x5 prop) on my Bixler 2 and it performs very well.

I've never flown the really small stuff like the Flyer, Nutball, etc, but with my swappable 40" wingspan cub & my FT 3D it's excellent. The only thing I use the 24g/blue wonder motor for is my FT Simple Soarer; with a 9x4.7 prop (7.5A@55W) and a light breeze it climbs like an unloaded 747, which is great for getting up to altitude & gliding down. However it's clearly too lightweight to perform decent in my other airframes.

skeplin

I asked the question on a Flitetest podcast and David answered it like this: 100W per pound. If you use the data tables that HobbyKing gives you, you should be able to size a motor accordingly. Still not an exact science (in my mind there's a lot of trial and error) but it's a good place to start.

Totally agree on 28xx sized 1400kv. I've got the Turnigy orange 2826-10 1400kv, 9x3.8 prop (pulls 21A/220W), HK F30A ESC and 2200mah 3S batts on my swappables, and it's a very solid performing setup. I also use this same setup (with the stock 7x5 prop) on my Bixler 2 and it performs very well.

I just chose this same motor as an alternative to the beef. Hasn't arrived yet so I haven't tested it but need to ask you - you said it pulls 21A/220W. HK give the max current at 21A and max wattage at 205W. Does it get hot or giving you any problems? Is it safe to assume the given specs are safe ones, yet we can push them a bit further but with increasing risk?

Thanks!

Team_Monkey

I fly out west a few times a year and yes, we in Ohio are spoiled by usually dealing with less wind than you folks have out there.
That being said, I have really good luck with the 2730, 24g 1500kv motors and 8x4 props. I've always been impressed by how much thrust you can get for under 10A. I use them on my EPP Leadfeather YAK and I have (4) of them with 8x3.8 props on my 330 size quad. I built a FT Flyer out of Elmer's board (which was terribly heavy) and it flew fine with the 24g setup. Good loops and up-lines and a decent high alpha.

While there are plenty of times a true hardware fault/issue causes a flight problem, how many times have we as pilots wanted something to blame? Not that you are new, but I wonder if the many new folks here just don't know what to blame when they have troubles.

As for motors, also don't forget the humble 2812, 1534(+/-)kV motor. It runs about 15A on a 7x5 and 3S. It's great on anything from a snowball to a parkjet.

debay777

I Love $Tree foam
I decided to build a bloody wonderish type plane. I didn't feel like cutting and tracing out stencils so I kinda held my thumb up and said....riiiight about here...... And made some cuts. I went with a full 30" wing span and about 20" long or so. I have a Grayson hobby parkjet V2 2200kv motor turning a 6x4, and a parkzone 30 amp ESC. I have had to make several adjustments to the airframe to work out the p factor. As soon as it picks up speed... It climbs. Aggressively. The motor is angled way down and it still does it. I'm not sure how it even flies. I'll add pics from my PC later. I'm wont to believe its just overpowered but I'm not sure. I think I need to make it longer to compensate for some of the lift. I even added a bottom KF airfoil and it still jumps.

As for the FT power trains they look decent for slow park flying and stuff but there is no way they are the same setup from their videos.

coldbloodedtx

As long as you have good airflow, it's not a huge issue. I'm sure if you put a bit lighter prop on it, the motor would last longer. For $10/motor I'm not too worried about it.

debay777

I Love $Tree foam
how about the grayson hobby disposable foamie motors? they seem to be decent specs. The 1450 kv motor is good for a pound of airframe. Whats the normal AUW on one of these swappables?

hankhill11

my bloody wonder:
372g with smaller 3 cell battery
my power pod is 206g with the 500ma 3 cell.
1200kv motor, 8x4 prop, 25a esc, no gear

debay777

I Love $Tree foam
Just out of curiosity, why not an 800 or 1300 lipo? With my over powered wonder I've squeezed in a 2600 40c jumbo. That's with a 2200 kV parkjet v2 from Grayson spinning a 6x4 though.

debay777

I Love $Tree foam
New motor mounted. NTM 28-26 with an APC style 0807.... I thik it was a 7 pitch anyway. On the watt meter ai was running 15 amps at WOT. And the pull was awesome. No chance to fly due to the weather but I can already tell its going to be better flyer.