Help! Reflex V2 connect to Spektrum AR620

LeeBee71

Dear Brains Trust,

I am rapidly growing older trying to sort this problem out. I crashed my RocHobby MXS V2 and have rebuilt it and I am at the stage of trying to reconnect the Brushless motor > ESC > Reflex V2 Flight Controller > AR620 Spektrum receiver.

Please note: that if I leave the Reflex out of the equation altogether I can connect and bind no problem.

However, until I get better at flying this type of plane, I want to include the Gyro and put it on a three position switch so I can use it when necessary.

Here's the thing. I wish I had taken photos of the orientation of all the leads going into the Reflex Unit so that I could be sure I'm doing the right thing. When I connect everything up (as shown in the pic), following the same instructions as I did when I first bought the plane, it just all goes to s*it!

My throttle control on my DX6 ends up controlling the elevators and my left stick ends up controlling the ailerons and the motor does nothing but put out a continuous series of beeps about 1 second apart. I fly Mode 2.

Please note the orientation of all of the connection leads in the pic - yellow wire to the top (that is nearest the side with the writing on it) and th throttle connection with the white lead nearest the side with the writing on it.

I am at the stage of tearing my hair out - and would if I had enough to even do that properly! LOL

I hope someone with a much larger brain than myself can help - thanks in advance!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20210825_175127_353 (1).jpg
    IMG_20210825_175127_353 (1).jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 0

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Tried swapping cables around but nothing I did could get the motor started...

Thanks for your reply!
maybe just a thought.... try flying your plane without a gyro... that's what ive been doing and it is fairly easy...
what plane do you want to fly with this?

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Dear Brains Trust,

I am rapidly growing older trying to sort this problem out. I crashed my RocHobby MXS V2 and have rebuilt it and I am at the stage of trying to reconnect the Brushless motor > ESC > Reflex V2 Flight Controller > AR620 Spektrum receiver.

Please note: that if I leave the Reflex out of the equation altogether I can connect and bind no problem.

However, until I get better at flying this type of plane, I want to include the Gyro and put it on a three position switch so I can use it when necessary.

Here's the thing. I wish I had taken photos of the orientation of all the leads going into the Reflex Unit so that I could be sure I'm doing the right thing. When I connect everything up (as shown in the pic), following the same instructions as I did when I first bought the plane, it just all goes to s*it!

My throttle control on my DX6 ends up controlling the elevators and my left stick ends up controlling the ailerons and the motor does nothing but put out a continuous series of beeps about 1 second apart. I fly Mode 2.

Please note the orientation of all of the connection leads in the pic - yellow wire to the top (that is nearest the side with the writing on it) and th throttle connection with the white lead nearest the side with the writing on it.

I am at the stage of tearing my hair out - and would if I had enough to even do that properly! LOL

I hope someone with a much larger brain than myself can help - thanks in advance!!!!
from what i've noticed... those beeps 1 second apart is the motor saying that it has no signal....

LeeBee71

maybe just a thought.... try flying your plane without a gyro... that's what ive been doing and it is fairly easy...
what plane do you want to fly with this?

Initially I did fly without the Gyro. And then I crashed the plane because I wasn't used to flying this type - my other plane is a FMS Kingfisher trainer, which I can fly quite well without gyro. So that's the whole point of my post is that I DO want to be able to use the Gyro (at times), until I get used to this type of aerobatic aircraft.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Initially I did fly without the Gyro. And then I crashed the plane because I wasn't used to flying this type - my other plane is a FMS Kingfisher trainer, which I can fly quite well without gyro. So that's the whole point of my post is that I DO want to be able to use the Gyro (at times), until I get used to this type of aerobatic aircraft.
aah ok...
i think you had better wait until one of the pro's can help you

Bricks

Master member
By the picture little hard to see what you have connected where from the receiver, it looks like your connections from the receiver are wrong. Here is a link showing the correct wiring but do not go by the receiver to stabilizer picture. You have to connect throttle out from receiver to throttle in of the stabilizer so it will not be exact from the picture as your receiver is TAER and the Gyro is AETR.
Towards the bottom of the page.

https://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=8891

quorneng

Master member
My solution would be to only have the ESC throttle connected to the throttle port marked on the Reflex.
Then take only the throttle lead from the AR620 and try it in each Reflex port until the motor responds from the throttle stick on the TX.
Thereafter adding the servos is a simple case of trial and error to get the right servo responding to the right TX stick.
Do make sure the Reflex adds the gyro deflection to each control surface in the appropriate sense. ie it moves the surface to counter any roll, pich and yaw disturbance. You will crash is short order if it is wrong.

LeeBee71

By the picture little hard to see what you have connected where from the receiver, it looks like your connections from the receiver are wrong. Here is a link showing the correct wiring but do not go by the receiver to stabilizer picture. You have to connect throttle out from receiver to throttle in of the stabilizer so it will not be exact from the picture as your receiver is TAER and the Gyro is AETR.

Thanks for your response - "TAER and the Gyro is AETR. " ?????

LeeBee71

My solution would be to only have the ESC throttle connected to the throttle port marked on the Reflex.
Then take only the throttle lead from the AR620 and try it in each Reflex port until the motor responds from the throttle stick on the TX.
Thereafter adding the servos is a simple case of trial and error to get the right servo responding to the right TX stick.
Do make sure the Reflex adds the gyro deflection to each control surface in the appropriate sense. ie it moves the surface to counter any roll, pich and yaw disturbance. You will crash is short order if it is wrong.

Thanks for your response! I'll keep "plugging" away...

LeeBee71

Thanks for your response - "TAER and the Gyro is AETR. " ?????

LeeBee71

Yes I checked out the connection guidelines (as in the diagram) and when I first connected the AR620 Spektrum receiver I followed these guidelines successfully, but I had to re-allocate Rx Port Assignments in the DX6 transmitter set up so that the Default 1 Throttle became Rudder, the 2 Default Aileron became Throttle - and so on until the receiver channels matched the input side of the Reflex V2 Unit as in the image you suggested - and it worked the first time - but not now and that's when I started wondering about the polarity of the connections going into and out of the Gyro and what I had done wrong... pretty exasperating!

Hey but thanks for your time - I really appreciate it.

Bricks

Master member
The polarity should not cause any issues as far as burning anything out as the power wire is in the middle, having the signal wire and ground in the wrong place will not hurt anything. The only thing it will do is not work.

First thing I would do is double check that the receiver is working right, plug in servos into the receiver ports and make sure that it is bound and working properly. You really did not need to reassign channels in the transmitter just connect from receiver to gyro wires in the correct order throttle to throttle elevator to elevator etc neither care what number port is used as long as they control the correct output. If it worked once I would go back and start from scratch new model rebind leave transmitter outputs alone and use the wires to make the correct connections.

Tench745

Master member
Based on this image of a slightly different reflex V2, You have the plugs oriented correctly. I don't see a label on your module, but in the attached image, note the little S+- under the port labels. That tells you the orientation of the plugs; Signal, Positive, Negative. Yellow is signal, red is positive and brown is negative.
16039422538451.jpg

As Bricks suggested, you should get rid of the channel reassignments you made in the DX6 and just change where the plugs from the receiver plug in.

Spektrum receivers have
Throttle Channel 1
Ailerons Channel 2
Elevator Channel 3
Rudder Channel 4

The Reflex wants
Aileron Channel 1
Elevator Channel 2
Throttle Channel 3
Rudder Channel 4

So, Channel 1 from the receiver wants to plug into the Channel 3 on the gyro
2 from rx plugs into 1 on gyro
3 from rx plugs into 2 on gyro
and 4 plugs into 4

Once you do that we can rule out weird transmitter programming errors as a possibility, and we will all be on the same page about how the gyro and the receiver are connected.

LeeBee71

Based on this image of a slightly different reflex V2, You have the plugs oriented correctly. I don't see a label on your module, but in the attached image, note the little S+- under the port labels. That tells you the orientation of the plugs; Signal, Positive, Negative. Yellow is signal, red is positive and brown is negative.
16039422538451.jpg

As Bricks suggested, you should get rid of the channel reassignments you made in the DX6 and just change where the plugs from the receiver plug in.

Spektrum receivers have
Throttle Channel 1
Ailerons Channel 2
Elevator Channel 3
Rudder Channel 4

The Reflex wants
Aileron Channel 1
Elevator Channel 2
Throttle Channel 3
Rudder Channel 4

So, Channel 1 from the receiver wants to plug into the Channel 3 on the gyro
2 from rx plugs into 1 on gyro
3 from rx plugs into 2 on gyro
and 4 plugs into 4

Once you do that we can rule out weird transmitter programming errors as a possibility, and we will all be on the same page about how the gyro and the receiver are connected.

LeeBee71

OK so I went back to square 1 and created a new model in my DX6 Tx, followed your advice, as well as running the control for the Reflex through Channel 6 via a 3-way switch (G) and finally all the flight servos work properly (including the three stability options for the Reflex through switch G) except for Throttle (Grrrr). The motor just keeps beeping at a one second interval as if it's getting no signal. Now I know the motor - ESC function works okay because I can set the model up perfectly when bypassing the Reflex FC altogether. But as soon as the Reflex is connected back in - NO THROTTLE. Any ideas?