Release the Kraken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tactical Ex

Mind control? Sweet.... Does anyone remember what motors Bixler is using on the Kraken? I'm sure it's in the vids somewhere.

Also, do any of you fly both the tractor and the pusher Versa? What is the difference in flight characterfishsticks? I have only built the blunt nose pusher.

And last question, does he use a counter rotating prop on one side? I don't believe he does, but if someone knows??????

I have a tractor and a pusher blunt nose versa and they behave mostly the same with the exception of that the tractor can maintain slower speeds with less yaw oscillation and it is less sensitive to CG issues. The pusher is nearly impossible to slow down to land, I usually have to abort my first landing attempt to drain some speed. This is just my plane though, yes just one, because I use a swappable conversion pod that lets me switch between pusher and tractor.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
I have a tractor and a pusher blunt nose versa and they behave mostly the same with the exception of that the tractor can maintain slower speeds with less yaw oscillation and it is less sensitive to CG issues. The pusher is nearly impossible to slow down to land, I usually have to abort my first landing attempt to drain some speed. This is just my plane though, yes just one, because I use a swappable conversion pod that lets me switch between pusher and tractor.

No shame in one plane. That's the beauty of the pod design.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
This is just my plane though, yes just one

There is an old saying "Beware the man who only owns one gun, he probably knows how to use it."

There's a lot to be said for being able to focus your attention to learning on one piece of equipment. Now me on the other hand, my crack-rabbit tendencies of bounding from plane to plane will likely assure that I'm OK with all of them and great with none of them.

But I digress... SHOW ME THE KRAKEN BUILD VIDEO PLEASE! :)

jaskoller

Kraken Handling

Thanks Tactical, So based on your comment I'm assuming the Kraken has pretty calm flight. I'll be interested in the differential thrust and how to work that (and set up my controller for it). I was going to build the Cruiser next but now I'm just going to wait for the Kraken. Lost my Spit in the sun last night and crashed it into a tree, so I need to check if I can repair that tonight and I might just have to build another spit before I do anything else. Luckily, the tree was near a skate park and a skater offered me his poweraid bottle to throw at my plane to get it out of the tree. :)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Mind control? Sweet.... Does anyone remember what motors Bixler is using on the Kraken? I'm sure it's in the vids somewhere.

Also, do any of you fly both the tractor and the pusher Versa? What is the difference in flight characterfishsticks? I have only built the blunt nose pusher.

And last question, does he use a counter rotating prop on one side? I don't believe he does, but if someone knows??????

The Kracken flies DT750's but anything of similar wattage and low-to-meduim KV (so the prop isn't tiny) should do. On 3S and maximum current, it can draw 200W, with a whopping 1200g of thrust (Josh *could* be flying 4s, which would be ~260W, but they're not rated for that voltage). Anything similar should do.

I know he uses differntial thrust, but not sure about the counter-rotating. I'd say counter rotating wouldn't hurt, but with as wide as the Krakken is, I'm not sure the torque roll would be that bad -- those outer elevon tips are WAY out there. It won't take much airflow for them to counter any roll.

jaskoller

The Kracken flies DT750's but anything of similar wattage and low-to-meduim KV (so the prop isn't tiny) should do. On 3S and maximum current, it can draw 200W, with a whopping 1200g of thrust (Josh *could* be flying 4s, which would be ~260W, but they're not rated for that voltage). Anything similar should do.

I know he uses differential thrust, but not sure about the counter-rotating. I'd say counter rotating wouldn't hurt, but with as wide as the Krakken is, I'm not sure the torque roll would be that bad -- those outer elevon tips are WAY out there. It won't take much airflow for them to counter any roll.

CraftyDan, let me ask you. IF you were going to build this beast, what motors would YOU use? I have really liked my suppo motors, If you had to pick one of those which would you chose? I'm not sold on the DT750's. I've heard of a lot of balancing issues. I agree on the size of the wing stopping/slowing the torque roll, I was just curious if they were using that.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
For a quality mid-to-high power motor, I'd lean toward the sunnysky motors. You can find the same power for less expensive, but you're buying cheaper too. I have the V2216 1250kv motor on my quad and they're fantastic. they have a 960 and an 800kv rewind of the same motor. For the Kraken I'd recomend the 800kv, but the 960kv should be fine with a 10" prop.

For just a bit less, I've had good experience with the Emax 2215 as well -- I've got the one wound for 1260kv and it happily throws an 11x6 for a good bit of thrust.

If *I* were to build it today, however, I'd use a pair of NTM 2826A -- because I have 4 on my bench I just ripped off my quad becasue the bearings are crap! NTMs used to be nice motors, but HK has gone cheap over time on the bearings. My first set were awesome, but I haven't heard anyone rave about the smoothness in at least 6 mo.

In that respect, a little motor vibe is tollerable on a fixed wing . . . and completley intolerable on a multirotor. Also, while the above motors cost more, in weight-for-power comparisons they'll out-perform the DT-750.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Interesting, I used a NTM 42-48 on my Texan electric conversion and it is silky smooth. When It flies you only hear the prop beat against the air. Maybe they are only starting to skimp on the smaller motors?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Interesting, I used a NTM 42-48 on my Texan electric conversion and it is silky smooth. When It flies you only hear the prop beat against the air. Maybe they are only starting to skimp on the smaller motors?

I'd hope so . . . then again, I'd hope they'd stop skimping on the 28mm's :p

Fit and finish on the motors themselves aren't bad -- if only the berrings were good, they balance just fine. Windings are fairly good and the leads are professionally finished and potted at the motor mount. I will say the retaining clip is CHEAP and the kitted X-mount is really flimsy aluminum. I'm not gentle to my motors, but the X-mount bends and tears apart far to easy.

jaskoller

Now?

FINALLY here... you all happy now. LOL

:) Good thing I'm always happy! The only thing I'm not THAT happy about is I just got to work now saw this note, and won't be able to watch until tonight!!!!!!!

THE KRAKEN HAS BEEN RELEASED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jaskoller

I'm a little surprised to see FT use a ferrite ring in one of the pics. Can't wait to watch the vid.... Also looking forward to the "accessories" that will be coming.

musstang

I'm sure you could use it but, they have a pod for under the wing for FPV. There is tons of space in the wing anyhow, not sure why you would need even more?

It's not about need. It's about want. Besides, you could always use a little more space. Also, it would be an easier way to store electronics and batteries on the inside of the wing. I'm working on a design that would allow that and be easier to transport.

KRAR

motors and esc's... I just bought a kracken, I will probably put different electronics on the kracken as I always like to be over powered rather than under powered

jdlilfan

Bought my Kraken when the speed build kit was finally released. Built it in June. Took about 2-3 days to build but I took my time. Added LED Strip lighting inside while it was built. Also wired in dual turnigy controlled switches for extras (more lights, smoke, pyro, JATO).

Powered by two "Mystery" A2217-7 1250KV motors. Two "Mystery" generic 30 amp ESC's. Both eBay purchases. $9.50 for motor and $7 for ESC with free shipping. Taranis X9D+ / 8 CH receiver on board. Lights are powered by a separate 4 way harness with a balance lead connector to power by 3 cell LIPO. Flying off of two 3S 2200MAH's in parallel. Getting about 8-9 minutes flying time with lights.

Had to build a larger/longer battery tray than specified. My kit also didn't not even come with the plywood battery tray. I added the FPV/Mobius mount to mine as well. My kit also did not include the proper length wire for the landing gear.

It gets a lot of attention at the field and it is a blast to fly in calmer weather. I have high rates set and the thing flies like a super low rate trainer. Only downside is the paper backed foam wears quick. Having to reglue and reinforce with a lot of tape. Night flying is fun but the dew on the grass and moisture in the night sky really wrinkles the paper as well. :(

Here is a video of it flying during a July 4th get together. Night FPV from a Speedix250. Do not try this at home antics!!! (of above stated pyro). All safety precautions were followed!

https://youtu.be/1rXmq_oVgJM?t=5m18s

11536099_10101158302055514_7902658244814269445_n.jpg 007.JPG 031.JPG 033.JPG 034.JPG kraken2.png kraken3.png kraken4.png