RTF models or build it yourself?

alexis

Hi guys,

My name is Alex, I'm from Portugal. I started flying multi-rotors a year ago, and what I really like is the ability to capture images/videos from new angles :D

So, my senior hobby is photography and thats why I started to fly multi-rotors. For that, so far I've only bought RTF models (e.g. QR X350).

Now, I would like to buy a new model. I've noticed within this community that the best way to learn how to flight is to build yourself the multi-rotor, and even if you guys make it seems like its a good idea, that it can be achieved with a little of responsibility and perseverance, I still have doubts if I'm able to do it.

First, I'm only used to change props and little else. I have never done major changes to a multi-rotor (or other electronics :p ) and haven't even done any welding in my life.

Second, imagine that I have 3600€/~4110US$ to buy the DJI inspire 1 (Dual remote , price in Portugal). With the same amount of €€€/$$$ what kind of multi-rotor would I be able to assemble/build?

Last, THANK YOU guys for all the help you have posted in this forum, even if this is my first post, I've been learning from you for the last 2 years.

Regards,
Alex

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I'm really no expert on MRs, but generally speaking if you can build it rather than buy it, the final cost will be much cheaper. The Inspire 1 is a pretty impressive machine, but for that price, you could build some thing probably just as good twice.

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
I have to agree. Build something crashable first and learn to fly to take pictures. Flying is not the same as flying to take video or pictures. Then, if you haven't crashed, put what you want on it. At some point you will want something like a hex, or more powerful, so you may as well buildit relatively soon, so you can fly it without all the gear (all my opinion, not necessarily yours)

The inspire is great looking and functional, but I would learn to build and repair before I would go to that.