Scale Build-Off Sig Quarter Scale Piper Cub

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
I'm just gonna put this here. I'm about half way done building a Sig quarter scale cub. I have built up the fuselage and most of one wing panel so far.

The fuselage and tail s just about ready for covering. I will be using Dacron to give the finish a more realistic cloth texture.

Power system is very similar to what I am using in the C-47. I do not recall the motor dimensions off the top of my head, but it is the same size as on the C-47, different KV. 100A ESC, 10,000mAh 6S.

I have half built floats too :)

You may be thinking, Scotty, you're absolutely nuts. Surely you can't expect to finish your 1:8 scale C-47 and this 1:4 scale cub in time for the end of the contest.

I do intend to, and don't call me Shirley.

Last edited:

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
Well, this build log begins with applying covering on the fuselage.

IMG_6975.JPG
IMG_6976.JPG
IMG_6981.JPG

I've found that the only really difficult part about building a cub is this complex little "fin fillet" curve between the front of the vertical stabilizer and the fuselage. As you can see by the fragments of yellow film, I attempted it with Monokote, but I couldn't get it right. I decided to drop film altogether and use fabric, which is where I am at now.

I am using the thinnest Dacron cloth available from aircraftspruce.com, and I am using an adhesive called Poly-Tak to stick it to the balsa frame. Poly-Tak gets brushed onto the wood and is allowed to dry. Then the fabric is draped over the frame and a covering iron activates the adhesive and bonds the cloth to the wood.

As you can see, I think I got the fillet pretty good. The cloth, being able to flex and twist easier than film, fits right around and conforms to the shape I want it to. The cloth also provides a much more realistic look, since real Cubs aren't shiny like a covering film.

I have one wing almost built up, so once that is done I will post up some more pictures. Just thought I should probably make an update.

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
Well, this build log begins with applying covering on the fuselage.

View attachment 57138
View attachment 57139
View attachment 57140

I've found that the only really difficult part about building a cub is this complex little "fin fillet" curve between the front of the vertical stabilizer and the fuselage. As you can see by the fragments of yellow film, I attempted it with Monokote, but I couldn't get it right. I decided to drop film altogether and use fabric, which is where I am at now.

I am using the thinnest Dacron cloth available from aircraftspruce.com, and I am using an adhesive called Poly-Tak to stick it to the balsa frame. Poly-Tak gets brushed onto the wood and is allowed to dry. Then the fabric is draped over the frame and a covering iron activates the adhesive and bonds the cloth to the wood.

As you can see, I think I got the fillet pretty good. The cloth, being able to flex and twist easier than film, fits right around and conforms to the shape I want it to. The cloth also provides a much more realistic look, since real Cubs aren't shiny like a covering film.

I have one wing almost built up, so once that is done I will post up some more pictures. Just thought I should probably make an update.

earthsciteach

The fabric will definitely look better than monokote. I had to build a new vert stab for my E-flite Super Cub (bought it new, but damaged). that fillet was tricky for sure! I ironed the Ultracoat down to the areas on the fuse and the vert stab where it contacts the structure. Then, I shrunk the heck out of the slack with a heat gun. It tightened up nicely, but was really a pain!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'm looking forward to seeing this come together. I just got a similar Cub, the SIG 1/4 scale J-3 with floats from a swap meet. The covering is dated and will eventually be replaced after I fly it for a while.

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
I'm looking forward to seeing this come together. I just got a similar Cub, the SIG 1/4 scale J-3 with floats from a swap meet. The covering is dated and will eventually be replaced after I fly it for a while.

I have the floats as well. The floats were sold as a separate kit. I have my floats already built up and ready for finishing. I'll take some more pictures this evening.

dwight

Wow - that brings back memories for me!

The Sig 1/4 scale Cub was the first (and only) 1/4 scale plane I built - 15+ years ago. I powered it with a Zenoa G-23 gasoline engine, and that plane just flew beautifully. I flew it quite a bit until the day of the "incident" -- I took a radio hit (back in the 72 mhz radio days) on my landing approach, and by the time I got control back she was heading into the woods. I had just enough time to line up the fuse between two big tree trunks and watch the wings get sheared off. I was close enough to the ground that I was able to recover the engine and radio bits without any damage, but the plane was pretty bashed up and I just didn't have the heart to rebuild it.

Dwight

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
I'll post some photos tonight, but I'm almost done with construction of the right wing. I stumbled in a few areas and had to do some "fixing" where I screwed up or mis read the instructions. Hopefully this wing isn't too much heavier (or less perfect) than the second one...

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
How is the covering working out? I'm starting to look at options for covering my 1/4 scale Cub and the regular iron-on fabric coverings are super expensive. Considering how much a plane this size would take, fabric covering put on like you did would potentially save a ton of money!

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
How is the covering working out? I'm starting to look at options for covering my 1/4 scale Cub and the regular iron-on fabric coverings are super expensive. Considering how much a plane this size would take, fabric covering put on like you did would potentially save a ton of money!

Cost is exactly the reason I went with full scale covering fabric. Dacron is significantly cheaper than any of the hobby alternatives. Of coarse you need to use an adhesive and paint it afterwards.

I am very happy with the fabric. It is much easier to apply than the film I originally tried. The adhesive dries almost instantly after brushing it onto the wood, and the covering iron makes quick work of applying the fabric. I have also found that dacron is much less picky about temperature than the film.

Dacron is harder to cut neatly though. Having good, sharp scissors helps.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
On areas where you overlap the fabric do you paint the adhesive on top of the first fabric layer, just like you did with the balsa? THe more I look at it, the more I like this solution.

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
On areas where you overlap the fabric do you paint the adhesive on top of the first fabric layer, just like you did with the balsa? THe more I look at it, the more I like this solution.

Yup, that's what I did.

Here is a little bit of progress.

Right wing is almost done. Still some sheeting I need to do on the leading edge, and the tips need to be added.
RkSytMy.jpg

I've learned a lot on that wing...

I also made a wall hanger for the fuselage so nobody trips over it and smashes it to bits
PojEDcZ.jpg

dBVpDzS.jpg

Attachments

• dBVpDzS.jpg
    dBVpDzS.jpg
    831.5 KB · Views: 1

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
Here is a good tip, when you're setting a weight on top of a wing to hold something down, hold the weight with both hands so it doesn't slip and fall. The crunch is soul crushing.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Oops! It's better than having it happen after the wing is covered, at least...

I did some more reading from various sources on the covering, and a lot of people were recommending 100% polyester dress lining for the covering. It's super cheap ($5.00/yard) and durable. To stick it down, Polycrylic is often used. Since I'm a pretty cheap person I'm trying it out, and got 6 yards of fabric yesterday for about half the cost of one regular roll of the fabric iron on covering! Now I just need the Polycrylic and I can do some test pieces. This stuff is supposed to shrink very well and conform to the curves/contours, so this should be a fun test.

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
Oops! It's better than having it happen after the wing is covered, at least...

I did some more reading from various sources on the covering, and a lot of people were recommending 100% polyester dress lining for the covering. It's super cheap ($5.00/yard) and durable. To stick it down, Polycrylic is often used. Since I'm a pretty cheap person I'm trying it out, and got 6 yards of fabric yesterday for about half the cost of one regular roll of the fabric iron on covering! Now I just need the Polycrylic and I can do some test pieces. This stuff is supposed to shrink very well and conform to the curves/contours, so this should be a fun test.

Damage wasn't too bad, I glued it back together last night and this morning I didn't even notice it as I unpinned some parts.

I look forward to hearing about your dress liner results. I read about that method as well, but I went with Dacron just because I wanted something tried and true. I didn't want to buy a bunch of fabric that potentially wouldn't work. If it turns out well, I keep that in mind for future builds.