Weed eater/whacker engine conversion to 1/4 scale piper cub.

Have you ever put a weed eater/whacker/brush cutter/ chainsaw engine on a rc aeroplane? did it work?

• yes a chainsaw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no but it didn't work

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
hi guys so this thread is my journey on converting a weed eater/whacker engine to fit on a 1/4 scale piper cub.
some of the things I am currently trying to do are.
- find a way to seal foam so it does not disappear when in contact with fuel.
- find a 35cc or bigger bush cutter engine.(chainsaw would also work)
- build a 1/4 scale piper cub from dowel rods, aluminium angle "iron", ply wood, and foam board. EDIT.. AND COROPLAST/CORAX/

if any of yall can give me any ideas I would much appreciate it.

thanks to @SquirrelTail I have a fair idea of what I want.

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I would first start with an engine made for a plane, like the one below. There are many sizes and brands to chose from.
You'll have a lot of machining to make a weed eater or chain saw engine fit on a plane. Why reinvent the wheal?

Stinger 20cc gasoline engine 2 cycle piston value type re(rear exhaust)/se(side exhaust) 6-14v 1500-105000rpm support 1410 1508 1606 1608 1706 14/15/16/17 inch prop for rc airplane fixed-wing Sale - Banggood.com
fact #1, i can not afford a proper rc engine.
fact #2, people have been trying to discourage me from doing this. so to prove them wrong i will do it

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
It is certainly possible to take a weed eater or chainsaw motor & put it on a plane, many have done it. I do not want to discourage you but It's not an easy process. You will need a lot of milling and fabricating to make it work.

Last edited:

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Looks like you are making progress
All you need to do now is attach a prop & mount the engine on a plane.
+build the plane.
+ make the motor lighter.
+order a prop.
+collect the chainsaw engine... i would rather use the brush cutter. but it is in perfect condition... and idk why the guy gave me it for free saying that the clutch was slipping...
+and reassemble the chainsaw engine... apparently it is in parts.... i hope the chainsaw is in parts not the engine.... but i guess they are rather simple engines..
+do school that ends at 3.30pm in the afternoon