Weed eater/whacker engine conversion to 1/4 scale piper cub.

Have you ever put a weed eater/whacker/brush cutter/ chainsaw engine on a rc aeroplane? did it work?

• yes a chainsaw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no but it didn't work

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Piotrsko

Master member
Big prop short landing gear. The edge of the prop is close to the ground, might get propstrike on landing.
Ummm, in 3point, no way to propstrike the ground unless you groundloop severely, but up on the mains there's only 6" typical clearance. With a taildragger handle, you ought to know that.

Bricks

Master member
Not talking about landing and prop strike it was sort of a joke when weedeater plane was mentioned. Some planes on take off the landing gear is short and the prop is long so you clip grass on take off`s....weedeater.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Not talking about landing and prop strike it was sort of a joke when weedeater plane was mentioned. Some planes on take off the landing gear is short and the prop is long so you clip grass on take off`s....weedeater.
aaah now i understand.
yea hopefully mine won't do that

Graeme M

@Graeme M did you say you have made a weedeater plane?
The Ryobi 31cc is what I recommend to get you started 20210320_110809.jpg

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
yes it will be a tail dragger.... easier to land..... tricycle would look cool though but much more complicated
No. Tail draggers are known to be much harder to land than tricycle gear planes. So many trainers and GA planes are tricycle gear because of it (or at least it's gotta be part of the reason why). Don't expect the plane to be easier to land because it is a taildragger, you will have to work a lot more to keep that thing going in a straight line while on the ground than you will with a tri gear plane, so set your expectations accordingly and learn to use rudder. I'm not even gonna comment on tricycle gear looking cool...

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
No. Tail draggers are known to be much harder to land than tricycle gear planes. So many trainers and GA planes are tricycle gear because of it (or at least it's gotta be part of the reason why). Don't expect the plane to be easier to land because it is a taildragger, you will have to work a lot more to keep that thing going in a straight line while on the ground than you will with a tri gear plane, so set your expectations accordingly and learn to use rudder. I'm not even gonna comment on tricycle gear looking cool...
well if tricycle gear is easier to use then this would be awesome
hm-slides_3-249060b1ca2768cc92a0dece59bcec723f690d06b17c03e70d8c3132954cb28c.jpg

quorneng

Master member
Tricycle landing gear is easier to land if you do properly but the nose wheel is all to easily damaged in anything but a good landing.
You only have to look at the full size accident reports for the number of trainer 'bounce landings' that took out the nose wheel. ;)

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Tricycle landing gear is easier to land if you do properly but the nose wheel is all to easily damaged in anything but a good landing.
You only have to look at the full size accident reports for the number of trainer 'bounce landings' that took out the nose wheel. ;)
Hmmm. But I'm only going to fly this when I'm a decent pilot.

M

MCNC

If you have not done this already, I would advise you to operate the chainsaw engine as a chainsaw for about 25 hours before you decide to put a prop on one.