Servos locations - In or Out?

sfiron

Hi

I have a question regarding servos placements:
Flite Test designs usually place the servos inside the fuselage and away from the tail or wing edge. I find placing the servos on the side of the fuselage easier and more efficient. Does anyone think this can cause an issue with the flight characteristics of the plane? I'm talking about slow flyers and trainers nothing advanced.

...it does add some weight on the tail, but only about 8 to 15 grams depending on the servos used.

Any thoughts? Old fogey is my next build and with that there is a very long push rods design which I would like to skip by placing the servos outside the body one on each side...

Revere

Extra drag and more weight as you will need to add nose weight to counter that of the servos placed close to the rear. More weight = shorter flight times and worse handling.
It really is easier in the long run to put them inside as you wont have to mess around so much with the CG by placing them as specified but it also offers a little more protection for them in a crash.

sfiron

Extra drag and more weight as you will need to add nose weight to counter that of the servos placed close to the rear. More weight = shorter flight times and worse handling.
It really is easier in the long run to put them inside as you wont have to mess around so much with the CG by placing them as specified but it also offers a little more protection for them in a crash.

Got it. Make sense. Thanks.