ShrubSmacker Release

FrankFly

Can this be flown off the power pack A (1806)...? Maybe with the 3s 850mAh...??

If not..... what scale would you recommend for my above mentioned system. I’m just getting pretty good with the Mighty Mini Tiny Trainer with this setup,. And I’ve always been fascinated with STOL!

I'm using 3S 650 batteries, which I have a bunch of. I do have one 850mAh and it helps the balance since the design tends toward tail-heavy with the 2205 motor.

It's not the most relaxing to fly -- you have to stay on it the whole time with no dihedral, but the most impressive thing is its durability. I've had some really hard crashes - including a high-speed into asphalt that popped the wing off and landing gear out. Besides a few little wrinkles you'd barely know it's been flown! I suspect that the more fully boxed fuselage, folded at the bottom rather than top, gives it better structural strength. I've had my Tiny Trainer and Scout fuselages break into 2 and 3 pieces.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
me likey. :)

20201011_171727.jpg

made a few very small changes but for most part it is as drawn. still scratching my head on what motor/esc/prop combo i want to use but am narrowing it down.

great build so far.

me :cool:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
ok, so i have some options.

1- cheap 2204-2300
2- Turnigy 2730-1500
3- emax 2205-2300
4- Emax GT2210/11
5- or bigger 2212, b-pack equiv (too many to list)

i would like to put that GT2210 on there but am afraid 55g may be too much.

thoughts? i have a box of motors that span the spectrum. what would you put in there?

Wildthing

Legendary member

1- cheap 2204-2300
2- Turnigy 2730-1500
3- emax 2205-2300
4- Emax GT2210/11

thoughts? i have a box of motors that span the spectrum. what would you put in there?

You would be fine :)

OliverW

Legendary member

1- cheap 2204-2300
2- Turnigy 2730-1500
3- emax 2205-2300
4- Emax GT2210/11

I'd say go with the 2205. My 2204 gave it ballistic power

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic

1- cheap 2204-2300
2- Turnigy 2730-1500
3- emax 2205-2300
4- Emax GT2210/11

Option 3 is what I use in my bird

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
ok, so i went with power (duh! :sneaky:), and installed the 2210/11. balance so far looks really good. looks like that motor, 30A esc, 3S-1300, with a 8x4.5 and we are gonna be golden.

i was hoping to maiden tomorrow but ran short of 5g servos. thought i ordered some but never clicked the last button. plane is ready except for ailerons. once again, duh...

20201013_173234.jpg

i did get the flaps set up and as soon as i took this pic i started thinking. these flaps are a 10, how do you turn it up to eleven? .... :unsure::unsure::unsure:

what if i had 3 diff flap settings. 1- take off, 2- landing, and 3- insane brake upon touch down?

so i'm thinking, take off and landing setting will be as norm, but the 3rd setting will only be activated once you are on the ground. in that setting your flaps are at 100%, both ailerons and elevator go full up, basically a huge brake planting you into the ground. you would still have full rudder control to keep straight.

thoughts?

i have to wrap my head around how to do it. i will set plane up as flaperon so i have individual control over each aileron servo. can i mix a setting into just flaps3 that will put both ailerons at full-up?

am i crazy? never seen this done but seems possible?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
ok, so i went with power (duh! :sneaky:), and installed the 2210/11. balance so far looks really good. looks like that motor, 30A esc, 3S-1300, with a 8x4.5 and we are gonna be golden.

i was hoping to maiden tomorrow but ran short of 5g servos. thought i ordered some but never clicked the last button. plane is ready except for ailerons. once again, duh...

View attachment 180973

i did get the flaps set up and as soon as i took this pic i started thinking. these flaps are a 10, how do you turn it up to eleven? .... :unsure::unsure::unsure:

what if i had 3 diff flap settings. 1- take off, 2- landing, and 3- insane brake upon touch down?

so i'm thinking, take off and landing setting will be as norm, but the 3rd setting will only be activated once you are on the ground. in that setting your flaps are at 100%, both ailerons and elevator go full up, basically a huge brake planting you into the ground. you would still have full rudder control to keep straight.

thoughts?

i have to wrap my head around how to do it. i will set plane up as flaperon so i have individual control over each aileron servo. can i mix a setting into just flaps3 that will put both ailerons at full-up?

am i crazy? never seen this done but seems possible?

I've never heard of that before, and I don't know why it hasn't been done, that sounds like a killer idea! Stop on a literal dime :D

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
hum, i only have 3 position switches ? need actually 4 settings.

1- normal flight
2- take off flaps
3- landing flaps
4- brakes

:unsure:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yes CROW glider pilots use it as a way to slow down. The inner section of the aileron/ flaps go down and the tip section of the ailerons go up. It works much better than flaps alone.
Have you seen anybody try it opposite with the flaps at the wingtips and the inner section going up?