Shuttle Enterprise ALT-1 Challenge

freemansfocus

Srceamin' Freeman
Howdy from Texas, Flite Test Gulls and Buoys! I have a challenge for y'all that's possibly on the same scope and scale, as, dare I say, The DEATH STAR episode.

The challenge is to recreate the first flight of the Shuttle Enterprise in July of 1977 as seen in this Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhwSbeiRADA&t=22s. In it, the Shuttle Enterprise is piggy-backing on NASA's 747, and then at an altitude of 27,000 feet, separates, then glides back to Earth. I realise you all have done something similar with the Kracken and the Sparrow, but this will be tougher because of the scale.

RULES: 1)EXTRA BONUS Design and build a ducted fan 747 (I seem to remember that Peter Sripol is pretty handy at designing DF Airliners) Or in lieu of that upscale an FT Guinea Pig (in NASA colors!)

2)Design and build a Shuttle Enterprise (Oh! Then make it a pusher swappable like the Sparrow!)

3)Have the '47 take the shuttle up, then release her. Successfully fly the 747 and the shuttle back (FPV Shuttle?)

4) Recreate the voice overs and radio chatter, but with your own brand of humour!

I think that if you pull this off, it will be totally epic!

As Jaime Escalante said in 'Stand and Deliver' "You can Do it!"

- Thanks for taking the time to consider this! Brook Freeman (freemansfocus):cool:

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
I would absolutely love to see this done!! It has been one of my goals for a long time, and I have thought for years about getting the Aerotetris 747 to try exactly this! Did something similar with a smaller spaceplane, but never a 747 and shuttle. An FT version would be amazing though!!

freemansfocus

Srceamin' Freeman
Absolutely!

Indeed. These dudes and dudettes are blessed with AWESOME talent. And it would be so cool for Peter (and the Swede!) to collaborate on this!