Simple Cub... With a TWIST

PoorManRC

Master member
My version weighs a little less than your version and I added huge tundra like tyres, (rather heavy). I normally just wedge up the LE of the wing with paddle pop stick.

3 degrees should work but carry a few paddle pop sticks in case you need to increase or decrease it!

With the setup you have accelerate smoothly and rather slowly to keep it pointed straight. If you take off too soon then it will roll to one side and crash. You need some airspeed to be safe before lifting off!.

have fun!
That's PERFECT! My plans were always for a Scale like Longer Takeoff roll, and long Landing....

I think not having a Tail SKID is going to increase my Landing Roll anyway! 😋
I'm thinking about keeping about 25% power on after touchdown, and slowly rolling back the Throttle.

I know most FT Guys would prefer a STOL F-15 Eagle!!
I'm just never going to be that guy. I don't believe either is wrong. I just have my way. This is going to be stressful enough anyway!
If she doesn't immediately Nose Over - then the WHOLE point of this, back on PAGE ONE, will have been worth it!!!! 😉

PoorManRC

Master member
Wahoo! At that weight with an 1800 you can easily carry a 2700 which is my regular pack size or even a 4000 like I do sometimes.

The plane flys very well at 890g with a 2700 in normal weather and much better than with a 4000 but in high winds the 4000 and the all up weight of just over 1kg flys better.

I can't imagine how susceptible to the wind these must be for people who build to flight test specs and are in the 470g region, that seems way too light to me!

You say that you need landing gear because of the ground you land on, a good 1/2 of the year I'm landing on bare hard mud with mine, the crops are being harvested now and it will be hard ground again.
my milk jug underside where the landing gear would be takes it very well and why I put it on my planes, it was just a side effect that it makes the area stronger and was never put there for that and is specifically for landing on.

Looking forward to the crops being gone, it makes landing so much easier, it just skids along to a stop rather than as soon as it makes contact with the crops getting yanked out the air.

With the crops there it is impossible to have a controlled landing and they literally just stop the plane dead lol.

I might have missed it in your posts but are you going fpv? I've tried many different vtx units and my regular choice now and most of my planes get a Eachine tx5258 800mw, they are OK for the money and what I'm flying on in my videos although your seeing action cam footage in the actual video and not my fpv feed.

My GPS cub has a 1200mw vtx fitted but since trialing a new directional antenna I'm thinking of swapping it over for a 1000mw from another plane and putting the 1200 on that one, the difference in range is very small but I will never even reach the maximum range of the 1000mw with the cub before I need to start coming down because of battery limitations and the 1200mw pulls more power too with would further shorten the flight time where is the other plane I'd swap it with is a ft storch with a 58" wingspan and much longer flight times plus able to carry a 6500mah without any trouble :)

I have a volantex phoenix I'm getting ready which has a huge wingspan of 2.4m/7.9ft/94" and can carry 8000mah with ease, it's going to be running ether my 1.5w or 3.4w vtx units and also have telemetry to the ground to drive an antenna tracker, expect some crazy high flights when that hits the sky's, I'm gonna be aiming for around 2 miles up :)
.... It's a good thing the FT Storch is on my Build List!! I know THAT and the Guinea Pig are great heavy lifters!

I want to finally try FPV...
But anything WORTH getting, is well beyond my meager limits. Maybe someday...
If I can outlive my 101 year old Great Uncle!!!

I am within 48 hours of the Maiden...
I'm VERY nervous!!!

TWO MILES-!!! Crazy Cool!!
I enjoy Scale looking Takeoffs and Landings, and even like to Taxi. Landing Gear is non negotiable....
But my next ones won't be NEARLY that complex!!! 😲

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
.... It's a good thing the FT Storch is on my Build List!! I know THAT and the Guinea Pig are great heavy lifters!

I want to finally try FPV...
But anything WORTH getting, is well beyond my meager limits. Maybe someday...
If I can outlive my 101 year old Great Uncle!!!

I am within 48 hours of the Maiden...
I'm VERY nervous!!!
I'm sure you'll do great!!

PoorManRC

Master member
CRAP!!!!!!! 😡
Well.... Maybe Friday Morning.
Screenshot_2019-08-06-17-53-06.png

ONE MORE day of Monsoons, before the Break!!!! 😒😭😭😭
HURRY UP!

Steve Fox

If you launch at full throttle be ready for a bank to the left.

If you have the plane balanced correctly (I'd be going nose heavy) it will be a very easy plane to handle.
If the plane feels unstable, your tail heavy.

PoorManRC

Master member
I think by now I've watched ALL the FT Build Videos... Even the old Scratchbuilds!!
The one thing ETCHED in my head, is ALWAYS Maiden slightly Nose Heavy. Easy enough, because I couldn't tell what perfectly level looks like! 😋
@Hai-Lee I got the incidence down to roughly 2.5%...
IMG_20190807_013628.jpg

I'll still bring Popsicle Sticks with me, in case I'll need to shim up the TE.

@Steve Fox In one of my Videos, I show how I shaved the front of the Power Pod, to attain 3% Down Thrust, and 4% Right Thrust. I'm hoping that will soften any odd pitching tendencies. My calculations say so anyway. 😉
IMG_20190705_105711.jpg

I SAID 7%, but that was incorrect!

PoorManRC

Master member
@cranialrectosis I WILL do it one more time right before the Maiden...
But in "Build Video 5.5", I show setting the Tail Feathers, Dual Rates, End Points, and even set the Expo at 40% - because of my slightly shaky, Arthritic Hands.
If there's a way, I'll work around it! 😉

You can mute it if you don't like our Music... 🎶

Steve Fox

Great minds eh! I do exactly the same with my XT60 connectors when soldering, a rubbet band round the plier grip and two me and female xt60's plugged together to stop the pins shifting from the heat :)

Im aittle confused. How are you planning on changing battery's? I recommend sliding the pod out and not taking the wing off every time, I might have misunderstood but it looks like your planning on taking the wing off.

If you have any prop spacers with a hole the same size as your skewers, set them in the fuse where the skewers go through and it will prevent foam damage from constant use and also in a crash, see pic below.

I see your using an FS-T6 transmitter, they are decent radios for the price and I believe there is custom firmware avaliable for them which will open them up to 10ch radios and adds a lot of other functions.
They have a Jr bay on the back don't they?
If I'm right that they do, long range gear is available that will drop straight into your radio!

I started out on the cheaper FS-I6 flashed with flyplus custom firmware which made my I6 a 14ch tx, it did me great for ages, mine is modded heavily with external sma antenna sockets and I also added enteral power sockets and a USB socket to plug a headtracker into.
It also runs of a 1s lipo instead of 4 aa cells.
I still have it as a backup but I now use an FS-I10 which like my I6, has external sma antenna sockets fitted, the stock antennas removed and two amplifiers connected to the sma sockets but I can just screw on antennas to the sma sockets if I ever wanted to remove the amps.

You can see in my pics the amplifiers I use to get the range to fly at :)

For your control surfaces, I don't recommend using expo, leave it linear.
You can set duel rates to limit your throw if you want it tamer for the first few flights but I have my throws set to the absolute maximum amount my surfaces will allow before stressing them, more throw means more control!

Attachments

• DSC_0277.JPG
    DSC_0277.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0414.JPG
    DSC_0414.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0415.JPG
    DSC_0415.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0413-1620x2880 (2).JPG
    DSC_0413-1620x2880 (2).JPG
    754.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
Great minds eh! I do exactly the same with my XT60 connectors when soldering, a rubber band round the plier grip and two me and female xt60's plugged together to stop the pins shifting from the heat :)

Im a little confused. How are you planning on changing battery's? I recommend sliding the pod out and not taking the wing off every time, I might have misunderstood but it looks like your planning on taking the wing off.

If you have any prop spacers with a hole the same size as your skewers, set them in the fuse where the skewers go through and it will prevent foam damage from constant use and also in a crash, see pic below.

I see your using an FS-T6 transmitter, they are decent radios for the price and I believe there is custom firmware avaliable for them which will open them up to 10ch radios and adds a lot of other functions.
They have a Jr bay on the back don't they?
If I'm right that they do, long range gear is available that will drop straight into your radio!

I started out on the cheaper FS-I6 flashed with flyplus custom firmware which made my I6 a 14ch tx, it did me great for ages, mine is modded heavily with external sma antenna sockets and I also added enteral power sockets and a USB socket to plug a headtracker into.
It also runs of a 1s lipo instead of 4 aa cells.
I still have it as a backup but I now use an FS-I10 which like my I6, has external sma antenna sockets fitted, the stock antennas removed and two amplifiers connected to the sma sockets but I can just screw on antennas to the sma sockets if I ever wanted to remove the amps.

You can see in my pics the amplifiers I use to get the range to fly at :)

For your control surfaces, I don't recommend using expo, leave it linear.
You can set duel rates to limit your throw if you want it tamer for the first few flights but I have my throws set to the absolute maximum amount my surfaces will allow before stressing them, more throw means more control!

Yeah! I do joke about the Rubber Band around the Pliers trick, as being "Ghetto".... I forgot I'm now LIVING in a ghetto!! 😲😖
Still humorous. HEY, it WORKS, well. 👍👍
Actually even better than my "Third Hand" tool!!

The FST6 has upgradeable Firmware too? Sweet! For my RC Crawlers, I use a FlySky GT3B, that has an 8 Channel Firmware upgrade. Some Guy wrote that within 3 Months of it's release!!
I want to be THAT brilliant with Computer Programming. I'm not! 😖

You MAY know.... Are there any Recievers with DUAL Antennas, compatible with my Tx?? I've had no issues so far - with Minis - below 50 feet...

And I still have a hard 500ft Ceiling Limit, due to my proximity to an Air Force base... But I still want the best reception I can get.

I DO plan on going through the Wing Opening, which I increased the size of. My Power Pod is TIGHT. I'd rather just remove two Rubber Bands.
With my Alignment Plates glued to the bottom of the Wing, it works a treat!
(another of my favourite UK sayings!!)

I will see if I have any extra Prop Spacers... I do have Popsicle Sticks on the inside, that the Dowels push up against. But I can see the external washers preventing fore and aft wear. 😉
Good ideas, thanks!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The extra weight and drag will likely cause some flight performance differences, but if it allows a pilot who can't walk out to the field to retrieve a plane to be able to taxi back to the pits, it's still a change worth trying.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
The extra weight and drag will likely cause some flight performance differences, but if it allows a pilot who can't walk out to the field to retrieve a plane to be able to taxi back to the pits, it's still a change worth trying.

Absolutely so long as it doesn't hose CG. Last minute changes that can impact CG are always worth a second look.

PoorManRC

Master member
What's the weight difference between old and new wheels?

It's honestly negligible....
A little from the extra plastic (maybe A gram), and they both have Foam Tires which honestly, didn't even register on a scale!
Maybe micrograms.

As rockyboy put it, drag might be the only issue. I still have almost a 0.9 to 1 Thrust to Weight ratio. If 4S was possible with this ESC, I'd exceed 1 to 1!! 😉

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
It's honestly negligible....
A little from the extra plastic (maybe A gram), and they both have Foam Tires which honestly, didn't even register on a scale!
Maybe micrograms.

As rockyboy put it, drag might be the only issue. I still have almost a 0.9 to 1 Thrust to Weight ratio. If 4S was possible with this ESC, I'd exceed 1 to 1!! 😉

Cool. Looking forward to the maiden.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Your builds are the most meticulous and have the most attention to detail I've ever seen for a complete beginner. I was the exact polar opposite starting out(and still am somewhat with my prototypes). There's a lot of heart put into your planes for sure(y)! I really, really, hope that this one and the other(s) fly decent right off the bat on maiden and that things go well as far as you getting a feel for handling and stuff.

That being said, this is still aviation, even with the cute affordable electric motors and pre soldered parts and dollar store foam, and it can sometimes be very unforgiving. If things don't go as planned I'm sure you've got the skills and patience to repair and rinse and repeat, but that is a lot of work. Just know I'm rooting for you, but if things go south I've got your back; I've got some spare parts and stuff laying around I wouldn't mind donating if you come up short, and I can help you slap together a tailed Nutball in a matter of hours if you ever need a last ditch backup option for a trainer(or even if everything works well and you just want one for fun).