Simple Cub... With a TWIST

basslord1124

Master member
Yeah definitely looking forward to the maiden. I've been on both sides of the coin...some builds I be really meticulous on and some I throw together quickly. And I've been there where all kinds of work shattered in a few seconds. It sucks. But it's all part of the hobby. This is part of the reason I started to save the paint job after the maiden. Why ruin a nice paint job with a crash? Those new tires look like the same size as mine...think mine are the standard Flitetest 2.75" foam tires.

Once you get familiar with the Cub, I'd highly recommend a Bloody Baron. I've really grown to like the Bloody Baron AND it's a pretty quick build.

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
Your builds are the most meticulous and have the most attention to detail I've ever seen for a complete beginner. I was the exact polar opposite starting out(and still am somewhat with my prototypes). There's a lot of heart put into your planes for sure(y)! I really, really, hope that this one and the other(s) fly decent right off the bat on maiden and that things go well as far as you getting a feel for handling and stuff.

That being said, this is still aviation, even with the cute affordable electric motors and pre soldered parts and dollar store foam, and it can sometimes be very unforgiving. If things don't go as planned I'm sure you've got the skills and patience to repair and rinse and repeat, but that is a lot of work. Just know I'm rooting for you, but if things go south I've got your back; I've got some spare parts and stuff laying around I wouldn't mind donating if you come up short, and I can help you slap together a tailed Nutball in a matter of hours if you ever need a last ditch backup option for a trainer(or even if everything works well and you just want one for fun).

That was VERY nice of you to say!! Thank you. 👊
I'm "new" to RC Aircraft, and fairly new to FliteTest....
But I've been in RC Ground since 1984, Model Railroading since 1975, and building Plastic Models since 1972. 😲 (I'm OLD!)

There is one stark difference.... None of the other ones LEFT THE GROUND. The "Modeling" part I've been called experienced in. I've flown Real Aircraft before too...

Amazingly, NONE of that equates to successful RC Flight!! 😁
I've flown Park Flyers and FT Minis - but nothing more than 30-50 feet off the ground.
I'm literally NERVOUS! 😧 The longer the bad Weather has been holding me up, the more nervous I'm getting.

You know what? My combined experience tells she WILL FLY. How well? I'm really not sure. This could be the quickest crash and burn you'll ever see 👀.....

But no matter what, I thoroughly enjoy building Models! Sure, I've been told that I shouldn't go so elaborate on something that I'm not sure is even going to fly well...

That's THEIR opinion and they're entitled to it. I'm not actually a total N00b!! And I'm really only trying to please myself!
If the worst happens, I ASKED FOR IT. I'm OK with that.

It will either Fly beautifully, or be the most overdone Foam Core Board Aircraft in a pile of pieces you'll ever see!

What I enjoy most, is taking things I've learned, conversations I've had with BRILLIANT minds, and my own Modeling experience, WHILE working with my multiple Disabilities...

An do EXPERIMENTS with things that, unlike my other Hobbies, I'm only risking a few bucks in Foam Board, some Paint and household items - to TRY things!

IF another nice Guy comes through, coming up will be an Edge 540, cut for me WITHOUT the Control Surfaces cut. Why? So I can see if I can manipulate those Controls to make an Aircraft that I just like the looks of, and NOT make it 3D, but a more docile flyer! Much like the Cub or Scout.
STUPID? Maybe. IF it works, I'd bet there's a few others who have been curious about the same thing! They love the way she looks, but have no intention of doing 3D flying....

I apologize for being repetitive with any of this. It's not directed at the amazing People who have had my back since the beginning of my crazy journey here.
Some Naysayers just don't get what I'm trying to do here, think I've got absolutely no experience with anything....
A couple of People think even worse.

I'm not doing any of this for them!
I'm eternally grateful for the few who understand my unique, horrible and different situation, and have been helpful all along the way!! THANK YOU to you Guys! You know who you are. The time will come when this nightmare my family is going through will be over. I can't WAIT till the time comes when I can pay it back, and Forward to other People who may not be fortunate....

In the meantime, God Willing, I'm going to build some Planes, have a LOT of fun, and make a couple of great Friends!!

.... And I'd like one of your modified Nutballs! 😊 For me to have some indoor fun with, and more importantly, to teach anyone in my Family to love Flight as much as I do!

I've already converted one Son! 👍👍

PoorManRC

Master member
Yeah definitely looking forward to the maiden. I've been on both sides of the coin...some builds I be really meticulous one and some I throw together quickly. And I've been there where all kinds of work shattered in a few seconds. It sucks. But it's all part of the hobby. This is part of the reason I started to save the paint job after the maiden. Why ruin a nice paint job with a crash? Those new tires look like the same size as mine...think mine are the standard Flitetest 2.75" foam tires.

Once you get familiar with the Cub, I'd highly recommend a Bloody Baron. I've really grown to like the Bloody Baron AND it's a pretty quick build.

I would throw the Bloody Baron to the growing List!! I still have to check out your latest Video on it. 😉

You're close... The Tires are 3", but I don't think 1/4" is going to make a significant difference.

I've started building a Scout, and a redux of my Storch, which I made a farce of the first time!!! 😖
I've started build Threads on both.... 😊

Like everyone else, I've gained invaluable experience and knowledge from catastrophic failures!

Like my LONG response above this one, I am OK if all that work becomes a twisted pile of wreckage.
I'll be very sad.... But I know what I'm getting into. 😎
Thank you!

Steve Fox

Yeah! I do joke about the Rubber Band around the Pliers trick, as being "Ghetto".... I forgot I'm now LIVING in a ghetto!! 😲😖
Still humorous. HEY, it WORKS, well. 👍👍
Actually even better than my "Third Hand" tool!!

The FST6 has upgradeable Firmware too? Sweet! For my RC Crawlers, I use a FlySky GT3B, that has an 8 Channel Firmware upgrade. Some Guy wrote that within 3 Months of it's release!!
I want to be THAT brilliant with Computer Programming. I'm not! 😖

You MAY know.... Are there any Recievers with DUAL Antennas, compatible with my Tx?? I've had no issues so far - with Minis - below 50 feet...

And I still have a hard 500ft Ceiling Limit, due to my proximity to an Air Force base... But I still want the best reception I can get.

I DO plan on going through the Wing Opening, which I increased the size of. My Power Pod is TIGHT. I'd rather just remove two Rubber Bands.
With my Alignment Plates glued to the bottom of the Wing, it works a treat!
(another of my favourite UK sayings!!)

I will see if I have any extra Prop Spacers... I do have Popsicle Sticks on the inside, that the Dowels push up against. But I can see the external washers preventing fore and aft wear. 😉
Good ideas, thanks!

The one downside you have on that TX is the protocol, my understanding is its AFHDS and not AFHDS2 which limits your recievers.
The AFHDS2 protocol is what is handling the two antennas from what i understand and its not a reception based thing, the protocol spreads the data across both antennas depending on packets sent and received and not signal strength as such.

If you want to use longer range receivers that work straight out the box then the FS-I6 (very cheap, and can be flashed with custom firmware to be a 14ch radio) , FS-I6S (not really recommended) FS-I8 (not even close to being as as featured as the FS-I10 and also looks like the designer was hung over when the colours were chosen lol) or the FS-I10 ( What i fly with and a very good radio with a colour touchscreen but a pricey radio!) are the Flysky choices you have.

Dont matter how ghetto you think your plier holding rig is, loads of us do it and it works very well!

If you look carefully at the pic with the prop spacer i posted, the spacer is set into the foam and not glued to the surface, it is flush.
i make my initial skewer holes on both sides to get the alignment right then slide the spacer over the skewer to the foam and press whilst twisting to leave a outline and then carefully cut that out on just the surface f the paper and leave the foam behind.
i then use something to crush the foam down with my finger behind for support, it leaves more material in there for strength and also works out to be about the right depth for the spacer.
I then put glue round the cutout and press the spacer in.

I do the same for the skewer that holds the power pod in place (i only use one skewer on my pods) and also have the foam doubled inside the bod where the skewer passes through and some milk jug plastic for even more strength.

The result is that the pod holds fast in a crash and the front of it takes the impact and helps to preserve the nose of the plane rather than the pod being forced back by ripping itself where the skewers pass though or ripping the skewers though the fuse

Those bigger wheels are going to create a load more drag, if you can get away with smaller wheels, i would!

I have built 6 FT Cubs so far and learned a lot about what makes them better and what i dont like about the original plans, the biggest thing is strengthen where its needed but dont where it really isnt as its just dead weight.

your tail is one example, the only thing it needs is a strip of balsa glued to the top and bottom of the elevator to stop it creasing at the thin point where it passes through the rudder, the spike in your vertical stab and the struts between the vertical and horizontal are not needed on the cub and the struts are drag!

I would say roughly 85-90% of what you have added to yours is not needed and a classic noob 'i dont think thats strong enough' thing, i did the same on my first one and subsequent builds have been based on experience and wildy scaled back and only keeping what actually makes a measurable difference.

Vimana89

Legendary member
That was VERY nice of you to say!! Thank you. 👊
I'm "new" to RC Aircraft, and fairly new to FliteTest....
But I've been in RC Ground since 1984, Model Railroading since 1975, and building Plastic Models since 1972. 😲 (I'm OLD!)

There is one stark difference.... None of the other ones LEFT THE GROUND. The "Modeling" part I've been called experienced in. I've flown Real Aircraft before too...

Amazingly, NONE of that equates to successful RC Flight!! 😁
I've flown Park Flyers and FT Minis - but nothing more than 30-50 feet off the ground.
I'm literally NERVOUS! 😧 The longer the bad Weather has been holding me up, the more nervous I'm getting.

You know what? My combined experience tells she WILL FLY. How well? I'm really not sure. This could be the quickest crash and burn you'll ever see 👀.....

But no matter what, I thoroughly enjoy building Models! Sure, I've been told that I shouldn't go so elaborate on something that I'm not sure is even going to fly well...

That's THEIR opinion and they're entitled to it. I'm not actually a total N00b!! And I'm really only trying to please myself!
If the worst happens, I ASKED FOR IT. I'm OK with that.

It will either Fly beautifully, or be the most overdone Foam Core Board Aircraft in a pile of pieces you'll ever see!

What I enjoy most, is taking things I've learned, conversations I've had with BRILLIANT minds, and my own Modeling experience, WHILE working with my multiple Disabilities...

An do EXPERIMENTS with things that, unlike my other Hobbies, I'm only risking a few bucks in Foam Board, some Paint and household items - to TRY things!

IF another nice Guy comes through, coming up will be an Edge 540, cut for me WITHOUT the Control Surfaces cut. Why? So I can see if I can manipulate those Controls to make an Aircraft that I just like the looks of, and NOT make it 3D, but a more docile flyer! Much like the Cub or Scout.
STUPID? Maybe. IF it works, I'd bet there's a few others who have been curious about the same thing! They love the way she looks, but have no intention of doing 3D flying....

I apologize for being repetitive with any of this. It's not directed at the amazing People who have had my back since the beginning of my crazy journey here.
Some Naysayers just don't get what I'm trying to do here, think I've got absolutely no experience with anything....
A couple of People think even worse.

I'm not doing any of this for them!
I'm eternally grateful for the few who understand my unique, horrible and different situation, and have been helpful all along the way!! THANK YOU to you Guys! You know who you are. The time will come when this nightmare my family is going through will be over. I can't WAIT till the time comes when I can pay it back, and Forward to other People who may not be fortunate....

In the meantime, God Willing, I'm going to build some Planes, have a LOT of fun, and make a couple of great Friends!!

.... And I'd like one of your modified Nutballs! 😊 For me to have some indoor fun with, and more importantly, to teach anyone in my Family to love Flight as much as I do!

I've already converted one Son! 👍👍
My life is a weird and messed up situation too, man. I'm glad to hear you enjoy the building and sprucing up the planes part so much its worth it even if you have trouble and losses with the flying part. That's a good attitude to have. A hell of a lot better than the one I came here with to begin with...but this is a great community and it tends to have a positive effect on people.

I'm really enjoying the hobby now, and bumps along the way don't really tend to get under my skin much anymore, if they even bother me at all. What I had to prove to myself, I've already proven(thanks in large part to the help I got here). I can relax, HAVE FUN(the most important part), and just enjoy the ride and enjoy my accomplishments so far, while I really take the time to improve and expand without stressing it. I've got the "meat and potatoes" of the hobby down, and things can only get better.

I didn't know you actually had experience flying a couple park flyers and minis. That will help in a big way.It's that hands on muscle memory that counts for a lot. Flying a larger plane(especially beginner friendly ones like you have chosen), in a lot of respects, is actually easier than flying the smaller ones.

PoorManRC

Master member
My life is a weird and messed up situation too, man. I'm glad to hear you enjoy the building and sprucing up the planes part so much its worth it even if you have trouble and losses with the flying part. That's a good attitude to have. A hell of a lot better than the one I came here with to begin with...but this is a great community and it tends to have a positive effect on people.

I'm really enjoying the hobby now, and bumps along the way don't really tend to get under my skin much anymore, if they even bother me at all. What I had to prove to myself, I've already proven(thanks in large part to the help I got here). I can relax, HAVE FUN(the most important part), and just enjoy the ride and enjoy my accomplishments so far, while I really take the time to improve and expand without stressing it. I've got the "meat and potatoes" of the hobby down, and things can only get better.

I didn't know you actually had experience flying a couple park flyers and minis. That will help in a big way.It's that hands on muscle memory that counts for a lot. Flying a larger plane(especially beginner friendly ones like you have chosen), in a lot of respects, is actually easier than flying the smaller ones.
I totally agree! I also believe that the extra weight, although raising the stall speed, does help with penetration and stability. A 747 is MUCH smoother in turbulence than a 737!! 😉

I'm counting on the learned muscle memory to make this less of a disaster. 😲
As long as I stay narrowly focused, I think I'll be OK 👌!

And yes, even though I'm taking a very technical approach, my main goal is FUN!! 👍👍

PoorManRC

Master member
Just a side note.....
At her current weight, I'm at 220 Watts per pound, with a 10x4.7SF Prop. 😲😎
She will FLY! 'Nuff said. 😋

PoorManRC

Master member
Oh heck yeah she will fly! Just remember that the throttle is on a sliding control, not just an on/off switch! I know a few pilots at my club that seem to think the throttle only has two settings :p

LMAO 😄!!!! I won't treat it like my Car, Promise! 😜

On the subject of my big Wheels choice...
IMG_20190809_012319.jpg

PoorManRC

Master member
AND, for anyone who thinks moving to Arizona is a GOOD idea.....

Besides the World's Cutest Grandson - LOOK at the TIME and TEMPERATURE!!!
IMG_20190809_001853.jpg

basslord1124

Master member
I would throw the Bloody Baron to the growing List!! I still have to check out your latest Video on it. 😉

You're close... The Tires are 3", but I don't think 1/4" is going to make a significant difference.

I've started building a Scout, and a redux of my Storch, which I made a farce of the first time!!! 😖
I've started build Threads on both.... 😊

Like everyone else, I've gained invaluable experience and knowledge from catastrophic failures!

Like my LONG response above this one, I am OK if all that work becomes a twisted pile of wreckage.
I'll be very sad.... But I know what I'm getting into. 😎
Thank you!

Sounds awesome...shoot, it's been a slow week for videos for me. I put out the Profile Plane video quickly...and right now I don't have anything to film or do! That doesn't really happen very often. BUT, I'm sure I'll have something soon.

3's are on the big side, but I'm sure it'll still be flyable. I like the 2.75" ones that FT sells in their store, good size and it gets me over the bumps at our RC field. My Edge will have landing gear, but not sure if I'll use that size or go a tad smaller.

Scout and Storch are both excellent IMO. Honestly, I had no idea you were doing the Storch. That's cool...that's the first FT plane I built and learned on. I'll have to check the threads out.

Steve Fox

ive not sat down and put a non stop effort in and only been doing like 30 mins here and there but after making my posterboard templates , i cut out the raw pieces of the FT commuter and ive just started making all the score lines and removing the foam for all the paper tabs.

This plane is a very time consuming one to build!
A scaled up version would be a lot faster to do but the tiny (2mm) paper tabs you need to cut and then remove the foam from are a very delicate and precise job to do because everything is so small!

I think for future builds if i ever make another, ill scrap the tabs and just have plain glue lines as i intend to laminate this one anyway.

Attachments

• DSC_0280.JPG
    DSC_0280.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

PoorManRC

Master member
ive not sat down and put a non stop effort in and only been doing like 30 mins here and there but after making my posterboard templates , i cut out the raw pieces of the FT commuter and ive just started making all the score lines and removing the foam for all the paper tabs.

This plane is a very time consuming one to build!
A scaled up version would be a lot faster to do but the tiny (2mm) paper tabs you need to cut and then remove the foam from are a very delicate and precise job to do because everything is so small!

I think for future builds if i ever make another, ill scrap the tabs and just have plain glue lines as i intend to laminate this one anyway.

I don't want to get off topic here (that NEVER happens on this Forum!!😋), but if I could get a 150-175% version of the Commuter, I'd build a Keeper out of it! First time Dad ever handed me the Stick, was in nearly the same Plane! 💓

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
Sounds awesome...shoot, it's been a slow week for videos for me. I put out the Profile Plane video quickly...and right now I don't have anything to film or do! That doesn't really happen very often. BUT, I'm sure I'll have something soon.

3's are on the big side, but I'm sure it'll still be flyable. I like the 2.75" ones that FT sells in their store, good size and it gets me over the bumps at our RC field. My Edge will have landing gear, but not sure if I'll use that size or go a tad smaller.

Scout and Storch are both excellent IMO. Honestly, I had no idea you were doing the Storch. That's cool...that's the first FT plane I built and learned on. I'll have to check the threads out.

The Storch started as my second Build ever (in FT Foam, of course). I made a real MESS of that early attempt!
Glad I get another shot at it. We're still having trouble recreating the Wings..... Got a separate Thread for that too - and the Scout. 😉

3" should be great for rolling over bumps and divets. Wish a had 2 more pairs!
Did you notice how THIN they are? They're actually LIGHTER than the 2" Tires they replaced!

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
That was my “noob mistake “ took me three aircraft before I relaxed and started flying the plane rather than reacting to it!

I did that N00b mistake on my Tiny Trainer, 4 planes ago...
Lawn darted into HARD Soil. OUCH!!! Even broke the MOTOR!!! 😲😖
Fortunately it was only a cheap Evilbay 2204.....

Steve Fox

I don't want to get off topic here (that NEVER happens on this Forum!!😋), but if I could get a 150-175% version of the Commuter, I'd build a Keeper out of it! First time Dad ever handed me the Stick, was in nearly the same Plane! 💓
I believe a bigger one is in the works, it would be a much easier plane to build.
Don't get me wrong, this one isn't hard but it does require you do go slow and careful with the cutting because of the 2mm tabs :/

The 50" cessna 180 I have involves a lot of poster board, not really a fan of that stuff because hot glue cools like crazy and makes getting a good finish hard.
Gorilla Glue would work well for that, I've only just started using it so I'll try it out on poster board, I'll stick with hot glue for everything else though, Gorilla Glue is too brittle and splits in even just a heavy landing and isn't suitable for structural bonds in my planes.

Lol, you joke about going off topic, you wanna see my PRO58 diversity reciever thread on rc groups, we turned it into a general chat and it's still where I take people when I wanna talk about anything and not get scalded by jobsworths on other forums :)

Vimana89

Legendary member
Oh heck yeah she will fly! Just remember that the throttle is on a sliding control, not just an on/off switch! I know a few pilots at my club that seem to think the throttle only has two settings :p
Never developed that habit. My champ is a good trainer and has a great speed envelope, so while I could set it at a certain throttle and just one-stick it, and sometimes did when learning at first, I also messed around with more nuanced use of the throttle stick and found I could do more interesting stuff and handle smoother and more gracefully. The Fly Bear 2ch I have is the best plane under $40 you can find, a lot of power for those two tiny motors, and glides great with big dihedrals. That one forces you to use throttle as pitch.

A plane that does high alpha is the best medicine for breaking this habit, especially if it is extra maneuverable at high angles of attack. I have to play "musical throttle" with my sliver to get it to do some of the wild stuff it does, its quite audible in the vids where I do extreme high alpha at very low speed and altitude.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Gorilla Glue would work well for that, I've only just started using it so I'll try it out on poster board, I'll stick with hot glue for everything else though, Gorilla Glue is too brittle and splits in even just a heavy landing and isn't suitable for structural bonds in my planes.

I'm surprised you've had that problem with Gorilla Glue. I've been using it for all my foam board builds for over three years, including my 100" Monster FW-42, and never experienced a split or failure of the white, brown, or clear Gorilla Glue in a model airplane. I switched to it after having the wings fall apart on a hot glued FT Tiny Trainer I left in the car on a 90 degree day.

I have even had the opposite problem in my Monster FW. After a couple days of curing the foamed up brown Gorilla Glue I tried to use for the leading edge was still too flexible and didn't form a solid enough surface to fiberglass over, so I needed to replace it with balsa.

All that said, if you find a technique that works well for the poster board please let me know. I haven't found anything that gives me the long working time and smooth finish I want with for poster board yet. For me the hot glue cools too quick, the gorilla glue oozes out and makes a mess on the fuselage, CA sticks the plane to my hand, and tape just doesn't look right. :cautious: