Simpson's 200% Spitfire Build

bpw823

Junior Mastermind
haha, guess I read it too fast! Well, that ruins the fun! Maybe you should move to Hawaii...? Good luck on the build, can't wait to see what you do with it! ;D

Simpson

Crazy Engineer
haha, guess I read it too fast! Well, that ruins the fun! Maybe you should move to Hawaii...? Good luck on the build, can't wait to see what you do with it! ;D

It's ok man. I would love to live in Hawaii. Thanks, I'm almost at the point that I will need all the luck I can get. You can't wait... I can't wait, this thing is taking for ever in my eyes. The only good thing is that the weather is too crappy to even stay out side long enough to fly.

bpw823

Junior Mastermind
Yea, the weather is HOOORRRRIIBLLLEEEE! Freezing temps and feet of snow here in NH, but luckily today will be in the 50s. Might try to do some testing today.

moms video 058.JPG moms video 053.JPG great start simpson,
i have built two 200% spitfires as the first one folded the wingtip in a hard turn and crashed...so re-inforce the underside camber from just past the bottom skin to the wingtip.
for the spar i used the $1.00 yardsticks from ACE hardware hotglued alongside the foam spar as Davids plane almost didnt need the extra.
i am also working on a 200% corsair (still waiting for motor),when i finish it i will have a special build thread for both planes with tips and pics for battery hold and balancing.
great aircraft for flying,and you have a nice start with that one!! here are a couple pics,as this is the first time I have uploaded pic's.

Last edited:

Simpson

Crazy Engineer
great start simpson, i have built two 200% spitfires as the first one folded the wingtip in a hard turn and crashed...so re-inforce the underside camber from just past the bottom skin to the wingtip.
for the spar i used the $1.00 yardsticks from ACE hardware hotglued alongside the foam spar as Davids plane almost didnt need the extra.
i am also working on a 200% corsair (still waiting for motor),when i finish it i will have a special build thread for both planes with tips and pics for battery hold and balancing.
great aircraft for flying,and you have a nice start with that one!! here are a couple pics,as this is the first time I have uploaded pic's.

Thanks! I believe someone else told me about the wing tips folding so I made my spar longer. The plane looks nice in your pics, I like your idea for the battery compartment. I have a few more ideas that Im going to try out to get the most out of the 200% spitfire.

That's one funny lookin' prop. :p

LOL, yea I would agree. dosn't seem like it would make much thrust.

the APC prop is covered with a pool noodle, wraped in black ductape,those blades 18x7 will slice skin!
also i filled the area of the battery compartment with spray foam,and also a generous amount behind the motor box to strengthen the fuse.
i need to get my build log up so i can show my improvements as this plane is my favorite design ever!
its just painted with wal-mart flat cammo (hides a lot of blems).
sorry for hijacking your thread:rolleyes: you will have a blast with this plane
the cockpit cover is a 2litre bottle cut to fit and a flip-over cowl from double laminated poster board, to hide electrics.
today when i flew her,she floated into the wind gently with no power and just hung there!
it makes it look like am a better pilot than i really am.

Simpson

Crazy Engineer
the APC prop is covered with a pool noodle, wraped in black ductape,those blades 18x7 will slice skin!
also i filled the area of the battery compartment with spray foam,and also a generous amount behind the motor box to strengthen the fuse.
i need to get my build log up so i can show my improvements as this plane is my favorite design ever!
its just painted with wal-mart flat cammo (hides a lot of blems).
sorry for hijacking your thread :rolleyes: you will have a blast with this plane
the cockpit cover is a 2litre bottle cut to fit and a flip-over cowl from double laminated poster board, to hide electrics.
today when i flew her,she floated into the wind gently with no power and just hung there!
it makes it look like am a better pilot than i really am.

Your not hijacking the thread, just a side discussion. I love seeing and getting ideas from everyone. One thing I don't see much of is how much the each persons plane weighs. I know my plane will weight more then most with everything that I have added but it would be nice to get an idea of flight characteristics to wing loading.

MikeJM

It's ok man. I would love to live in Hawaii. Thanks, I'm almost at the point that I will need all the luck I can get. You can't wait... I can't wait, this thing is taking for ever in my eyes. The only good thing is that the weather is too crappy to even stay out side long enough to fly.

I'm in Hawaii right now and in my opinion it's too windy for my liking, especially for flying.

Great job on your build.

aldalo

Alan
Your not hijacking the thread, just a side discussion. I love seeing and getting ideas from everyone. One thing I don't see much of is how much the each persons plane weighs. I know my plane will weight more then most with everything that I have added but it would be nice to get an idea of flight characteristics to wing loading.

Mine weighs 7 lbs 2 oz

Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 5065-275kv Brushless Outrunner Motor , HobbyKing 70A ESC 4A UBEC, Xoar 20 x 10 prop, 6 cell
4400 45c battery.

Simpson

Crazy Engineer
I'm in Hawaii right now and in my opinion it's too windy for my liking, especially for flying.

Great job on your build.

Yea my buddy who lives there barely flys planes because of the wind but he loves flying mini quads.

Mine weighs 7 lbs 2 oz

Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 5065-275kv Brushless Outrunner Motor , HobbyKing 70A ESC 4A UBEC, Xoar 20 x 10 prop, 6 cell
4400 45c battery.

Ah thanks man, the weight is always on my mind with this build and yet I keep adding to it. Thats close to my setup, I'll list my full setup once the build is finished and I know everything is working.

Flynn

Dude, I can't wait to see that at FF15. I hope to have some color on my Mustang, we can do some formation flying.