Slope Soaring homage to 'thenated0g'

Piotrsko

Master member
There are low temp versions of covering, much more inexpensive than moneycoat, suitable for direct covering of expanded polystyrene (aka "Styrofoam") there are also mylars and other polymer makeup materials that do not shrink as aggressive. The colored tapes used on DTFB also work well for this as does common kitchen cling wrap.

bracesport

Legendary member
@thenated0g - the feathers came out nice and strong - the surface is flat and shiny - the 2mm balsa was super flimsy beforehand - not sure if the tow is doing the business, or if it is the FG cloth, but they look pretty cool - time to trim them out properly! :D

images resized to 1000px

IMG_7390.JPG
IMG_7391.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
@Piotrsko - YAY - A bit more progress with a positive spin - I beefed up the end caps from 4mm to 8mm - and given the lack of end grip to the PLA I added some balsa end caps - I also made some cross inserts to help prevent surface warping in the TE!

I am very pleased with the result - I had two goes at it (first time without the balsa) and damaged the shape slightly - there are a few ripples in the surface, but now I am confident knowing that I can make this work!

I realised that the shrinking needs to be done in small bites otherwise the PLA destroys itself - I will go back and reshrink the sample piece a tad more when it is properly cooled!

The total weight of the wing section including CG flats is 45g so each wing should be under 150g

images reduced to 1000px

IMG_7392.JPG
IMG_7393.JPG
IMG_7394.JPG
IMG_7395.jpg
IMG_7397.JPG
IMG_7398.JPG
IMG_7401.JPG

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
@Michael763 - I have a Turnigy covering iron and a standard airgun - I suspect for better performance the airgun nozzle could be flatter rather than round - Yes, I think the process is to tack on the film and seal the ends, then some quick air bursts at an acute angle followed by some smoothing - It is so surprising how quickly the PLA softens - practice seems to help! :LOL:

Piotrsko

Master member
Comment: the printed sections appear to be capable of farther rib spacing, like maybe another 1/2 - 3/4 span apart. Or make the components much thinner. That section could support a tank.

The before picture of the covering shows the covering is too loose at start. When you shrink, you then have to add too much heat to get a taught surface. That's what the teensie edge wrinkles indicate. In theory, the closer to actual the covering is, the less shrinking required, thereby less heat, (kinda exponential)

bracesport

Legendary member
@Piotrsko - oh that makes so much sense - nube errors - YES, the formers do look a bit chunky up close but the damn PLA is so sensitive to any heat (and I have printed all the parts) - I will treat this first one as an experiment and plan for the worst and hope for the best - luckily the slopers seem to like a bit of weight! :LOL:

Piotrsko

Master member
Not knowing anything about PLA properties, I guess it softens about 50C? Put the part in the freezer for a while before heat gun shrinking. I bet the mass difference may delay part melt. Proper would be spray with C02, but those days are gone.

Piotrsko

Master member
Don't worry. Works of art fly really well (or its rumored that way). I sure as heck will never know because where your are at in the process is where I lose all patience and just go fly it warts and all.

bracesport

Legendary member
@thenated0g - the original Ridge Rat plan runs at 31oz (880g) so I am pretty sure if the wing is under 300g the rest is doable at under 580g - I will weigh the fuse and feathers tomorrow - I also need a bit more balsa, and am considering a pull string for the elevator (what do you think)? :D

Piotrsko

Master member
Never saw one fly @ less than 1250 grams, they were bricks with wings, but gosh they were fast, although a junior nobler could out perform it.

bracesport

Legendary member
Step 1 in the wing construction - all went smoothly including the addition of the wing mount CF tubes and CF flat spars - each wing weighs in at 140g on the nose - so, at this point without covering film, battery, servos, and Rx, the raw fuse, feathers, and wings are totalling AUW 470g - not too bad! :D

IMG_7439.JPG
IMG_7440.JPG
IMG_7441.JPG
IMG_7442.JPG
IMG_7443.JPG
IMG_7444.JPG
IMG_7445.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
Step 1 in the wing construction - all went smoothly including the addition of the wing mount CF tubes and CF flat spars - each wing weighs in at 140g on the nose - so, at this point without covering film, battery, servos, and Rx, the raw fuse, feathers, and wings are totalling AUW 470g - not too bad! :D

View attachment 144374 View attachment 144375 View attachment 144376 View attachment 144377 View attachment 144378 View attachment 144379 View attachment 144380
Pretty cool looking,

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

View attachment 144374 View attachment 144375 View attachment 144376 View attachment 144377 View attachment 144378 View attachment 144379 View attachment 144380
That is one seriously, solid-looking wing! It looks like a bridge span! :)