slope soaring

bracesport

Legendary member
I had a crack with the DLG on the slope at Torrey Pines - the wind was set at 0.5m/s (normally 5m/s) so pretty much zero wind - the 'Stobel' has a 1.5m wing and weighs 270g - no wind is quite a challenge, but it flew well! :D

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 10.32.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 10.33.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 10.34.43 AM.png

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Wyoming has done a partial shutdown, but I don't think that means the same thing as it does in other places from what I can tell, at least with people's adherence to it at least. Most business are open, most people are at work and doing their best to be safe. For a lot of us, it hasn't actually changed much. South Dakota, not too far from us, has never shut down. The Western side of the state (keep in mind, SD is almost 400 miles long) Has still had very few cases and hospitals are well prepared and mostly empty. The East side of the state had one business where a lot of its employees have caught it. If not for that one single plant, SD would be rated very low in the world as far as cases per ca pita, still is for that matter. Fact is, its hard to say at this point if shutting down was worth it for a lot of the country. More importantly, does the government have the authority to shut down daily life? Serious thought to ponder...

As far as California... I think its a wonderful state, had a great time while stationed there! Only problem was that it was full of Californians...:ROFLMAO:

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Wyoming has done a partial shutdown, but I don't think that means the same thing as it does in other places from what I can tell, at least with people's adherence to it at least. Most business are open, most people are at work and doing their best to be safe. For a lot of us, it hasn't actually changed much. South Dakota, not too far from us, has never shut down. The Western side of the state (keep in mind, SD is almost 400 miles long) Has still had very few cases and hospitals are well prepared and mostly empty. The East side of the state had one business where a lot of its employees have caught it. If not for that one single plant, SD would be rated very low in the world as far as cases per ca pita, still is for that matter. Fact is, its hard to say at this point if shutting down was worth it for a lot of the country. More importantly, does the government have the authority to shut down daily life? Serious thought to ponder...

As far as California... I think its a wonderful state, had a great time while stationed there! Only problem was that it was full of Californians...:ROFLMAO:
Yeah that's pretty much the sum of the problem. It's a beautiful place without the government racking up cost if living and everyone else voting for it to go even higher.

bracesport

Legendary member
A bit more progress with the simulator - still at Torrey Pines, but this time with a Spitfire that I have been modifying from aeroplane to glider - the first part of the video is with the standard Spitfire and the prop - with the power off acts like a brake (just like in real life) - the second part is with my modified 'Slope-fire' (no prop no motor) - the wind is about 9 m/s so is quite brisk - making progress! :D

mayan

Legendary member
A bit more progress with the simulator - still at Torrey Pines, but this time with a Spitfire that I have been modifying from aeroplane to glider - the first part of the video is with the standard Spitfire and the prop - with the power off acts like a brake (just like in real life) - the second part is with my modified 'Slope-fire' (no prop no motor) - the wind is about 9 m/s so is quite brisk - making progress! :D

Your flying has really improved, when are you taking something out to the field? Are you still under lockdown?

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!

That's great! What music is that?

bracesport

Legendary member
Back to the slope with a glider today - again at Torrey Pines as it is similar to my slope site - I went for a bigger glider the 'Storm 3.2m @3.0kgs' and dialled up the wind a bit more to 12m/s - the guys at our slope like to fly in high winds so I really need to crank it up to around 15-17m/s to get to 60 kph - even though I had the rates at 50% but I was still getting blown about - I have started to get comfortable relaxing when getting in behind the slope!

Video grab is still a bit low quality (something to work on) - turn on 1080 HD. :D

Last edited:

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Back to the slope with a glider today - again at Torrey Pines as it is similar to my slope site - I went for a bigger glider the 'Storm 3.2m @3.0kgs' and dialled up the wind a bit more to 12m/s - the guys at our slope like to fly in high winds so I really need to crank it up to around 15-17m/s to get to 60 kph - even though I had the rates at 50% but I was still getting blown about - I have started to get comfortable relaxing when getting in behind the slope!

Video grab is still a bit low quality (something to work on). :D

In my experience high winds are nice because it's really easy to hover