Snarls' 500mm Spider Quad Build

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Here are some pictures of the finished quad. I originally mounted the camera gimbal with rubber vibration dampeners, but I switched to wire ropes which so far seem to work better. Contrary to earlier speculation about whether the quad would balance with the battery in the back, the situation is the opposite. With a 2200 mAh for flight and a 500 mAh for the gimbal and fpv you still have to place the battery half off the end of the frame to achieve balance. I'm looking in to getting some larger batteries like a 4000 or 5000 mAh so it balances easier.

I have spent a long time trying to completely remove vibrations/jello from my video and I'm still not sure if I'm done. I have yet to try out my FPV setup, but I put together a small rig to hold the camera and TX. When not in use the rig rotates 90 degrees, laying the tall TX down and facing the camera up. Altogether the quad flies great, although there is still some tuning to be done in the gimbal and FC to make the experience a little better.

Closeup.jpg

topview.jpg

Twitchity

Very nice job on the build; I really like the design and layout of that frame. Do you have closeup shots of the wire rope you used to mount the gimbal to the frame?

jipp

cool to see wood used. i have plans on building something similar. my health is not so great so i will be limited how much time i can stand at my fav toy ( bandsaw ) but its a beast, so will not take to long to cut out a frame.
i also want to try some laminated arms as i think they will be stronger. :D

its unfortunately for me all this RC stuff is so greek. i grew up in the mountains of Oregon, where we built custom longbows,self bows, knifes, forts, and leather goods. :D but ill figure it out, or give up trying i guess. as im stumbling along in my build. heh.

chris.
chris.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Snarls, This is just what I have been looking for. Any way you would share the plans on this frame?

Sure I would love to share my plans. Took me a while to learn how to convert Sketchup to PDF, but here it is. You may need to adjust the cutouts to suit your electronics/strengthen certain areas, or just make the build a whole lot easier. The back arms are 230mm and front 200mm.

Also note that credit for the basic design should not be given to me, but to a forum member named ananas1301. His design inspired me to build my own, but I never got his plans so I made my own out of wood :p

cool to see wood used. i grew up in the mountains of Oregon, where we built custom longbows,self bows, knifes, forts, and leather goods. :D but ill figure it out, or give up trying i guess. as im stumbling along in my build. heh.

Thanks Chris, for us without access to carbon fiber and CNC machines there is something about building a wood frame completely from scratch. It's almost an art. Good luck on your build!

View attachment FramePlans.pdf

Puzzler

Thanks so much for sharing. It's people like you who are willing to share their work, that keep people interested in these kinds of forums. It helps newcomers and experienced hobbyists alike to continue to improve their hobby.

Thanks again