Spektrum Gear explanation for a newbie

Alienjohn

Guys and gals,
I'm new to electric flight - used to do gas planes (20 years ago) but recently bought a Horizon Carbon Cub that came with the No-Screen DXS transmitter. The plane does some programmed mixing on its own in Beginner and Intermediate modes (adds some rudder and elevator when ailerons used) which is nice. It also has dual rates via a switch on the transmitter. I like that too. However I have some questions because I intend to upgrade my transmitter to one that can store several models, some that won't be Spektrum Receiver equipped.

Q1: Is this "mixing and Dual-Rate" info stored (programmed) in the planes flight controller or in my DXS transmitter?

Q2: "IF" the programming is stored in the flight controller, and If I were to upgrade to say - the RadioMaster 16 channel, would the display on the new radio show me the mixing rates that are already programmed into it and allow me to adjust these rates?

Q3: If I bought the "RadioMaster TX16S" would all the Spektrum Flight Controllers with SAFE (and other features) still work as they do with my Spektrum Radio, allowing me to enjoy these features in the plane I already have, (Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced, Panic Button, etc) but still allow me to add different brands of planes that use different protocols and have them operate normally with the RadioMaster multi-Protocol radio?

I realize I am a newbie and possibly annoying to you more advanced flyers, but I want to enjoy the hobby without being tied down to Spektrum exclusively. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am told that if I simply upgrade to one of the better Spektrum Transmitters that are programmable, I will still be limited to Horizon products or at least those planes with Spektrum equipment in them. Is that a fact?

Thanks in advance all.
John in Ohio

flyingkelpie

Elite member
Q 1. In your Tx
Q 2. Yes you can adjust the rates in the Tx
Q 3. I don't know. I don't use Spektrum Tx's

Hope this helps!
Anyone out there, correct me if I'm wrong! :)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I am told that if I simply upgrade to one of the better Spektrum Transmitters that are programmable, I will still be limited to Horizon products or at least those planes with Spektrum equipment in them. Is that a fact?
Yes, all single protocol transmitters only work with their own kind. Only the multi protocol Tx like Radio Master work on most everything.

Your multi protocol Tx should work with the SAFE system. It may takes some research and trial and error.

With the SAFE system the beginning mode, limits the angle the plane can bank. This is a different function than dual rates, which limits the throw of a control surface. If you continue to holding the stick, the plane will continue to roll. In beginner mode the plane will stop rolling when the angle limit is reached no matter if you hold the stick.

Mixing can be accomplished in either the Tx or flight controller. With a flight controller, you mostly want the FC to do the mixing. Consider a mix like elevons, involving pitch and roll, needs to be done on the flight controller. As the controller will adjust both pitch and roll.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Is this "mixing and Dual-Rate" info stored (programmed) in the planes flight controller or in my DXS transmitter?
Answer - In the transmitter not the flight controller. You will need a basic knowledge of Open Tx to be able to program your settings into a TX16s. However, there are plenty of helpful videos on you tube showing you.

"IF" the programming is stored in the flight controller, and If I were to upgrade to say - the RadioMaster 16 channel, would the display on the new radio show me the mixing rates that are already programmed into it and allow me to adjust these rates?
Answer - No as per the above answer, you would need to start from scratch and programe your Open TX radio with your mix settings and dual rates.

If I bought the "RadioMaster TX16S" would all the Spektrum Flight Controllers with SAFE (and other features) still work as they do with my Spektrum Radio, allowing me to enjoy these features in the plane I already have, (Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced, Panic Button, etc) but still allow me to add different brands of planes that use different protocols and have them operate normally with the RadioMaster multi-Protocol radio?
Answer - Yes Spektrum receivers using DSMx (and DSM2) work very well on the TX16s, I speak from experience. As your flight controller is an ancilliary device operating through the receiver it should operate as before, although as Merv said it will need some setting up.
You can use other protocols Flysky receivers work well with the TX16s. As do FRsky and Futaba (later day protocols, FASST isn't supported).
When using FRsky and Futaba receivers you will have to do Frequency fine tuning on the TX16s or risk losing some range.

Bricks

Master member
With the new Forward programing of Spektrum the one advantage is receivers that have the AS3X can be reprogramed right from the transmitter for different planes instead of having to have a PC and a cable hooked to the receiver. And you have a company that really stands behind there products.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
With the new Forward programing of Spektrum the one advantage is receivers that have the AS3X can be reprogramed right from the transmitter for different planes instead of having to have a PC and a cable hooked to the receiver. And you have a company that really stands behind there products.
To be honest I can't call the quality of Spektrum gear, I still have a preference for using there receivers. Its the price they charge for there gear I have issues with.
Last year I could buy an AR410 4ch receiver for £25.00 this year the same receivers are selling for £28.00. Thats a price increase of £3 which is equivelent to nearly $4 increase just for 1 receiver !
The price of Spektrum transmitters are also extortionate even for there entry level gear. How are younsters without an income supposed to pay for equiment like that ? They aim there sales at people who are full time employed or have a disposable income.
Thats why I have more time for companies like: Flysky, Radiomaster and Jumper who are starting to make the hobby more accessible to a wider group of enthusiasts, by making there gear cheaper.

Bricks

Master member
To be honest I can't call the quality of Spektrum gear, I still have a preference for using there receivers. Its the price they charge for there gear I have issues with.
Last year I could buy an AR410 4ch receiver for £25.00 this year the same receivers are selling for £28.00. Thats a price increase of £3 which is equivelent to nearly $4 increase just for 1 receiver !
The price of Spektrum transmitters are also extortionate even for there entry level gear. How are younsters without an income supposed to pay for equiment like that ? They aim there sales at people who are full time employed or have a disposable income.
Thats why I have more time for companies like: Flysky, Radiomaster and Jumper who are starting to make the hobby more accessible to a wider group of enthusiasts, by making there gear cheaper.

One of the biggest reason I see is the quality of there equipment, they stand behind it and they actually PAY people to do the programing for there systems not rely on an outside source as free programmers like the above mentioned radios. Which can be good or bad depending on the person doing the tinkering with the programing.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
My Spektrum DX6i cost me £50 and was second hand. To be fair it was like new when I got it and in its original box. The guy I bought it off only used it on a flight sim, then decided it was too difficult learning to fly and gave up.
I bought a second DX6i 6 months later for the same price, again like new and in its original box. That owner bought it to fly drones but couldn't use it he needed a DX8i. That one I let my my son use and has been a back up buddy box.
They have a limited memory only storing 10 models. Dont have an isolation/kill switch to disable an electric motor, only has a 2 way switches for setting dual rates. Has on/off for flaps, no multiple switch setting or option for landing versus flight flaps. There is no wireless buddy system available and there is no audible countdown for the timer, plus its only got std potentiometer gimbals.

I bought a TX16s this year, it cost me £112 brand new. Its got all the functions the DX6i hasn't got and loads more besides, in fact too much to mention. The model memory alone is thousands, which is stored on my SD card and best of all its multiprotocol. So I am not stuck with 1 manufacturer supplying over priced gear.

I am planning to sell the Spektrums next year and buy another TX16s for my son, with luck I might just get back what I paid for them. That will almost pay for the new Radiomaster ;)(y)

Bricks

Master member
You cannot compare a Spektrum dx6i to what Spektrum puts out now that transmitter was barely a step up from the DXE. The new DX series will do just about anything OT can do except multi protocol. Granted you do pay more for Spektrum read my last post and you do not need to spend more money to update gimbals and add on extra`s no reason to right out of the box they are solid. And I know Spectrum will stand behind there products.

It always amazes me how so many people compare old technology to something new they just bought Don`t get me wrong buy what ever is your hearts desire but at least make some same to same comparisons.

Most of the high end competition flyers use Spektrum maybe there is a reason for it.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I can buy two TX16s transmitters for less than a DX6 Gen3 6ch transmitter from Spektrum.
1607900811740.png

DX6 Transmitter Only Mode 2 G3 - $259

Thats only 6 channels, compared with 16+ channels on the TX16s

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
At the end of the day, it comes down to preference. I have got use to using Open Tx, as have a lot of Jumper and FRsky users. For me it offers far more flexibility than a fixed operating system and I enjoy the flexibility of being able to program my transmitter.
You are also entitled to your opinion and if you prefer to use a fixed operating system that's your choice (y)

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
You cannot compare a Spektrum dx6i to what Spektrum puts out now that transmitter was barely a step up from the DXE. The new DX series will do just about anything OT can do except multi protocol. Granted you do pay more for Spektrum read my last post and you do not need to spend more money to update gimbals and add on extra`s no reason to right out of the box they are solid. And I know Spectrum will stand behind there products.

It always amazes me how so many people compare old technology to something new they just bought Don`t get me wrong buy what ever is your hearts desire but at least make some same to same comparisons.

Most of the high end competition flyers use Spektrum maybe there is a reason for it.
Actually I thought Futaba was the #1 in the uk but I may be incorrect (that aside). Most people dont fly competitions or models of high value and are possibly on tight budgets like some of the younger members of the forum.
If they can get a transmitter,receivers, servos, motors and batteries etc for the same price as 6ch Spektrum transmitter, who could blame them ?
My first 2.4 ghz transmitter was a Futaba, I still have it and use it. Its a brilliant piece of kit, but sadly outdated. I bought my Spektrum DX6i because everyone at my old club raved on about them as everyone flew with them. Yes they are a good solid dependable radios, the point I was trying to make earlier is. They are not cheap and are outside the price bracket of a lot of modellers. This may only be my opinion, but I think Spektrum are over priced and there are equally good transmitters out there, that are more reasonably priced and have more functionality. The DX6i discussion was not to compare an older radio with new technology, only to show that Spektrum equipment is still expensive to buy even second hand. My DX6i is worth just under half the price of my new TX16s, there is no comparison except the cost to buy and a name.