'SPIT' roasted FB

mayan

Legendary member
Ladies and Gentleman! It is with great pleasure that I present to you Buzzomb's maiden flight with the FT Spitfire!

Holy Frackin' Cow, what an exhilarating plane to fly! @kilroy07, I can not thank you enough for this group build, brother. That may have been the most fun I've had to date flying an RC aircraft. I definitely got my motorcycle rush with that one!

I'm going to treat this one like she's gold. I want to fly it a LOT! Once I settled down and got a feel for the way she handles, she just cut through the air like she was made to be there. Really, I don't think I've built another plane that flies like it owns the sky, the way the FT Spitfire does.

It's hard to put into words the way it felt to fly it. It's a darn handful to be sure, it just flies like it's perfect and it's waiting for ME to make the mistakes. I only got the one flight and the motor burned out. I'm calling it a win. I'd burn out another motor to experience that again!

That being said, I did burn out the motor. It just stopped as I was coming in for a landing. It was super hot, and I could smell the fried insulation. The battery was warm, but in just four minutes, that 2200mAh was down to a 13% charge. I was running a standard 10x45 prop. I have no idea why the motor burned out.

I say it's the motor and not the esc, because the motor is now difficult to turn by hand. It's fried. Anybody got any ideas?
That was beautiful! Happy it came down in one piece. You should have built the SpiTTT a long time ago :).

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Hatch made...
IMG_20190829_172553104_HDR.jpg IMG_20190829_172600360_HDR.jpg
Motor/ESC nearly done but!!!! I've run out of 3mm bullet connectors. Quick rush to eBay and have them on order.
IMG_20190829_181110994.jpg
40Amp ESC is overkill a little but it's what I had spare 😄
Next is a bit of balsa/lite ply inside to stiffen the sides where I have made the hatch and make a battery tray of some sort.
After that it's nose shaping time and finishing off with some 'scale' bits and bobs.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Hatch made...
View attachment 140940 View attachment 140942
Motor/ESC nearly done but!!!! I've run out of 3mm bullet connectors. Quick rush to eBay and have them on order.
View attachment 140941
40Amp ESC is overkill a little but it's what I had spare 😄
Next is a bit of balsa/lite ply inside to stiffen the sides where I have made the hatch and make a battery tray of some sort.
After that it's nose shaping time and finishing off with some 'scale' bits and bobs.[/QUOTE/] Your Spit is looking great CT, wish I had done the hatch thing to mine. your finishing work is amazing as well. I don't see any glue globs or uneven edges. Great work, looks like you put a lot of effort into the details, nice and clean (y):cool:(y)

bennmar02

After reading this thread, with all these nice build experiences, I decided to join this team build. I dropped my current builds for a while and after one evening cutting out plans and one afternoon of glueing, it starts to look like a SPIT.

Attachments

• 3045965A-FFA0-45AB-91F3-3FDDCDE1EB87.jpeg
    3045965A-FFA0-45AB-91F3-3FDDCDE1EB87.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
After reading this thread, with all these nice build experiences, I decided to join this team build. I dropped my current builds for a while and after one evening cutting out plans and one afternoon of glueing, it starts to look like a SPIT.
Rock on and welcome to the FT Spitfire Group Build! It's looking pretty good in my book. It's a handful to fly for a newish pilot like myself, but man, it flies so well and is so beautiful in the air, it'll take your breath away!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
THAT WAS A BEAUTIFUL MAIDEN MY FRIEND! It is an amazing plane and you are so right about its presence in the sky. Its wing chord makes its personality. Thanks for the mention in the vid, so happy you like it. Your vid gave me goose bumps.

You set it up 4 channel right?

What is your ESC rated for?

I think you oversized and under pitched your prop selection. My motor i used on mine is a little bigger then yours at a 3536 1200 kv and a 40mAMP ESC spinning a 9x6 APC electric. Try the 9x6 and you will be so impressed, like it was your first maiden again.

Great vid man, MIG 3 next?!
Thanks @BATTLEAXE. It felt like a beautiful maiden. Maybe even my favorite. I was so darn nervous. It doesn't really show in the video, but I was seriously freaking out immediately after the launch. I knew right-a-way that I had a tiger by the tail! Once I had a handle on it, it was just amazing to fly. You said it would be. That's why I gave you the shoutout. :)

I was running a 30amp esc with an external 5amp bec. I've got to find a better motor. I'm not impressed with the Turnigy's. I've burned three of them running within spec. I figure that's enough. I'll look into a higher kv motor and a smaller prop. What 3536 are you running? Crazy as it sounds, I'd love to see the Spit just whoosh by in a high-speed pass! :eek:

sundown57

Legendary member
Thanks @BATTLEAXE. It felt like a beautiful maiden. Maybe even my favorite. I was so darn nervous. It doesn't really show in the video, but I was seriously freaking out immediately after the launch. I knew right-a-way that I had a tiger by the tail! Once I had a handle on it, it was just amazing to fly. You said it would be. That's why I gave you the shoutout. :)

I was running a 30amp esc with an external 5amp bec. I've got to find a better motor. I'm not impressed with the Turnigy's. I've burned three of them running within spec. I figure that's enough. I'll look into a higher kv motor and a smaller prop. What 3536 are you running? Crazy as it sounds, I'd love to see the Spit just whoosh by in a high-speed pass! :eek:

And how many inches into the ground you can drive it. your field is starting to look like a prairie dog retirement community.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@buzzbomb - what rates and expo did you run (or what is your max aileron deflection)?! :D
I went straight FT recommended for new pilots. Ailerons are 3rd hole out on the servo arm and bottom hole on the horn. Elevator and rudder are 2nd hole out on the servo arm and top hole on the horns.

I was running 70% throws and 30% expo. I can heartily recommend all those settings. If you're worried about flying a slippery, low-winged warbird, I think it would handle just fine with 40% expo. I'd set mine there, but it was just so durn exhilarating at 30%!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
*cue AC/DC music* "For those about to fly! WE Saluuute You!" I should also mention that I was running 22grams of nose weight, besides the 2200mAh batt. I erred on the side of nose heavy, and it flew straight-line when hands off. I hope that helps with ya'll's maidens! :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I am running the Rimfire 0.15 and a 40 amp Eflite (Lite) ESC. It's the motor I pass around to all my standard size models, except for the Explorer now as a pusher has a C Pack. It is more motor then any of the standards need but that's how I like it. You change your prop to a 9x6 or even an 8x8 on a 4s... just imagine the high speed full throttle passes you would get on that set up.

Can't wait to see the others fly, the anticipation is killing me

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I am running the Rimfire 0.15 and a 40 amp Eflite (Lite) ESC. It's the motor I pass around to all my standard size models, except for the Explorer now as a pusher has a C Pack. It is more motor then any of the standards need but that's how I like it. You change your prop to a 9x6 or even an 8x8 on a 4s... just imagine the high speed full throttle passes you would get on that set up.

Can't wait to see the others fly, the anticipation is killing me
That's WAY out of my price range! I'll have to keep searching for a suitable motor. I'm also not able to invest in everything required for 4s. I need to find a dependable motor, that can fly my planes on a 30amp esc and 3s 2200mAh batts. I don't know why that's proving so difficult. It's a pretty standard formula.

As for the video of everyone else's flights? :devilish: Step up, brother! :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That's WAY out of my price range! I'll have to keep searching for a suitable motor. I'm also not able to invest in everything required for 4s. I need to find a dependable motor, that can fly my planes on a 30amp esc and 3s 2200mAh batts. I don't know why that's proving so difficult. It's a pretty standard formula.

As for the video of everyone else's flights? :devilish: Step up, brother! :)
The motor set up I am using was a set up I purchased for my very first build and it's till goin for all the planes I got in the fleet, so its a perfect fit.

My vids are in a different thread, Nose mods on the FT Spitfire, and if i was in this group build I would have posted here but my Spit was done just before this came up.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
The motor set up I am using was a set up I purchased for my very first build and it's till goin for all the planes I got in the fleet, so its a perfect fit.

My vids are in a different thread, Nose mods on the FT Spitfire, and if i was in this group build I would have posted here but my Spit was done just before this came up.
No probs. Take it out and post it here! We want to see you fly it just as much as you want to see us fly it! ;) We being me. Thought I should clarify. :p Seriously, take it out and post the vid here. This thread is all about the awesome FT Spitfire! Take it out and throw up some video. It may not be your maiden, but I promise you, we'll appreciate it!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
So go with the GT2215, but make sure to take the cojones with you :), your going to need them :).
The emax 2215 just happens to be what's on my Edge.... :unsure: I'm not ready for the Edge... :unsure: Gee. I wonder where this train of thought is going.... :unsure: :D:D:D

What prop would you recommend?

Oh. Shoot. Yep. I'll drag the cajones up off the ground and tote them along. ;):LOL: