'SPIT' roasted FB

basslord1124

Master member
I had done a little bit of build work to my Spit over the past couple days. Wing halves officially joined...

spit wings joined small.jpg

and have now started on the fuse (underneath the stuff)...

FT Spit fuse bottom.jpg

This is the 2nd model where I am using mostly Titebond wood glue with some touches of hot glue. The FT Edge was the first one I tried it on (it's close to completion now). Turns a speed build kit in a slow build kit as parts can take 30 min to hours to fully dry. Supposedly by using wood glues it can save you on weight as well. I'll weigh the finished product to see how it turns out.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Mine got a paint job today as you've seen

Where, I’ve missed it then.

I had done a little bit of build work to my Spit over the past couple days. Wing halves officially joined...

View attachment 142954

and have now started on the fuse (underneath the stuff)...

View attachment 142955

This is the 2nd model where I am using mostly Titebond wood glue with some touches of hot glue. The FT Edge was the first one I tried it on (it's close to completion now). Turns a speed build kit in a slow build kit as parts can take 30 min to hours to fully dry. Supposedly by using wood glues it can save you on weight as well. I'll weigh the finished product to see how it turns out.

Looking good. 👍

And now, as promised the maiden video. With some fun added sound effects to stir the soul...
Way to go!!
Flies like a dream doesn’t she.

Looking forward to seeing how you finish yours

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Caroline!! What a wonderful maiden that was! Rolls, loops, inverted, perfect landing, you did it all! I LOVED your soundtrack! What a great video that made it! That was plain beautiful flying, all of it. Congratulations! (y)(y)
Thank you, it fly's great, even better than my FT Racer which feels a bit under powered in comparison. I may look to swapping the motor on that to the same as the Spit.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Wonderful job Caroline, I to am now waiting on the finished product . :love:
It won't be done till next month, I need to buy myself an airbrush and I can't afford that untill I get paid. But I will get the cockpit finished soon and all the extra bits on (apart from the exhausts - that's the second to last step. :)
Didn't want to delay any more getting the maiden seeing as it was supposed to be an August build!!!! 😂😂

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Thank you, it fly's great, even better than my FT Racer which feels a bit under powered in comparison. I may look to swapping the motor on that to the same as the Spit.
Your Spit took off into the sunset like a darn rocket! You definitely had power to spare. You've got the powertrain combination right. I still don't have any 4s, and I'm not ready to go to 4s. Your maiden with that Spitfire is surely making me consider it, though!

I'm guessing if you put that powertrain into an FT Racer, it would be very nice. Have you seen this thread?

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ft-racer-narrow-fuse-speed-wing.58854/

He's taking it to the next level! :)

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Your Spit took off into the sunset like a darn rocket! You definitely had power to spare. You've got the powertrain combination right. I still don't have any 4s, and I'm not ready to go to 4s. Your maiden with that Spitfire is surely making me consider it, though!

I'm guessing if you put that powertrain into an FT Racer, it would be very nice. Have you seen this thread?

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ft-racer-narrow-fuse-speed-wing.58854/

He's taking it to the next level! :)
Yes, been watching that thread. I rather like the wider body of the racer, gives it more presence in the air.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It's using the SunnySky 2216 turning an 8x6 with a 2200mAh 4S battery. Loads of power, climbs easily on 40% throttle and vertically accelerates on full power.
Great Vid, even better maiden CT. Loads of power and great speed passes as well, you really did that Spit justice. The 4s really makes a noticeable difference doesn't it... and one of the smoothest belly landings I have seen. Excellent and elegant build

PoorManRC

Master member
I realise that just watching someone fly a maiden can be a bit boring. Most people don't push it to much. Thought it would be fun to add a little to the soundtrack. 😉
Caroline..... In reality, sometimes it CAN be a bit dull - especially when TOO high and out of sight. Just the nature of our own limitations.

I think the sounds and Soundtrack, made it far more entertaining!!
I'll need to remember this one. 😉

PoorManRC

Master member
Thank you, the plane fly's wonderful and I'm sure the big under-camber at the tips is the big reason it's so stable even at low speeds, didn't ever feel it was going to tip stall on me.
I'm pretty certain of that one! 😉
..... As much as I love the Speed Wing that @BATTLEAXE created for his P-40, I'm keeping the undercamber.
I'm just not that great of a RC Pilot!! 😂😆😜

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Working on the oil cooler and radiators. Not shown in this picture is the work I'm doing on the wing ratings.
IMG_20190919_130954088.jpg
Picked up a bit of damage to the underside on the test flights, once I've painted this model I will be adding a seal coat.

Last edited: