'SPIT' roasted FB

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I had a bit of build time. It's not much, but I have wings!

20190811_013129.jpg

bracesport

Legendary member
@buzzbomb - It is great to get some runs on the board! :LOL:

well, things don't always go to plan - after a good start, I over-sprayed the side panels and the paper lifted off the FB, and with that, I have decided to re-cut the side panels using a slightly stiffer FB that is available here - it will be will a tad more robust! :D

I did, however, manage to make the softened 'master class' underside of the tail section which in the standard plan is a box section - it turned out sweet - now I have both of the orange sections to be able to finalise the fuse - I will trim the vertical stabiliser down to match - I found the FB plan is not quite to scale in the back end! :p

Screen Shot 2019-08-11 at 5.49.18 PM.png

IMG_7057.JPG

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@buzzbomb - It is great to get some runs on the board! :LOL:

well, things don't always go to plan - after a good start, I over-sprayed the side panels and the paper lifted off the FB, and with that, I have decided to re-cut the side panels using a slightly stiffer FB that is available here - it will be will a tad more robust! :D

I did, however, manage to make the softened 'master class' underside of the tail section which in the standard plan is a box section - it turned out sweet - now I have both of the orange sections to be able to finalise the fuse - I will trim the vertical stabiliser down to match - I found the FB plan is not quite to scale in the back end! :p

View attachment 138866
View attachment 138865
Wow! That is seriously smooth! Well done!

bracesport

Legendary member
@buzzbomb - I started with a tapered bottom plate and added a tapered rib to create the backbone for the forming - next, I added a profiled former at the thick end - for the wrap I made an oversized piece of FB and pealed one side.

At this point, I was winging it as to how to form the skin - I had an elliptical extrusion about 20x40mm and used that as a mandrel to get some shape into the skin - the elliptical shape really helped me get the thin end of the skin pliable.

Glueing it on was a stab in the dark - I decided to glue one side, followed by the middle (spine), and finishing with the final side (three steps, glue/form, glue/form, glue/form) - having some waste material allowed for having something to hold and push against on the bench while setting the glue - amazingly both parts were OK the first time!

The final step was to trim the excess skin back to the desired size! :D

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That's a smooth lookin Spitfire. Dig it... Did I also see some F14A Tomcats with working swept wings in the background too. Didn't know you had those out too (y)(y)

mayan

Legendary member

Matagami Designs

Master member
a bit more progress at my end with the fuse - I recut the side panes and glued them to the nose section, then added the top and bottom caps in the tail section - actually the fit is quite nice and the hatch (orange canopy section) will provide great access to the tummy! :D

View attachment 139288 View attachment 139289 View attachment 139290

This looks very sleek @bracesport. (y) I will say that i agree with @kilroy07 that it reminds me a bit of an edge since i don't see the canopy's frame. Either way I can't wait to see the final product. What will hold the canopy in place? What printer do you use? The prints seem very clean.

bracesport

Legendary member
Yes I took a liberty with the canopy and made it sleek - the canopy pins in at the front edge and a rubber band will secure it at the rear - I use an ‘upbox’ printer and for the most part prints very well! ;)

mayan

Legendary member