'SPIT' roasted FB

Marty72

Elite member
An interesting day. The larger motor and prop worked really well, no issues. As a matter of fact, it works so well, I'm probably not going to fly the spec motor anymore. The speed increased a little but the climbing and loop speed was amazing. I lost nothing in the handling of the plane, I added some thrust angle in and that work great. The plane loops very straight .

The red/white stripes on the wings are super visible. It's an easy plane to see in the sky, I was flying very high, as I typically do with a maiden to get everything worked out. I hoped the video would be easier to see, but I was just flying too high.

danskis

Master member
This one actually flies!!! It only took two tries but I love it. This one is actually the test plane and I learned a lot. The next one will incorporate all the improvements.
Spit.jpg

Bungee launching the Spit to get a great launch every time. (It should be public now...sorry u tube noob

Last edited:

Marty72

Elite member
This one actually flies!!! It only took two tries but I love it. This one is actually the test plane and I learned a lot. The next one will incorporate all the improvements.
View attachment 173782

Bungee launching the Spit to get a great launch every time. (It should be public now...sorry u tube noob
Well that's pretty cool, a launcher. I like that the plane is low and at speed, so if thing go wrong, it won't fall far. I would have loved that when I was first learning to fly. The hand launch (me doing it) was the most nerve racking part. I felt it put me behind before I even got started.

Marty72

Elite member
@Marty72 - awesome maiden - your right she flies well with all that power - I think mine is slightly underpowered! :)

Yeah, power is addictive. I flew again today, 4 batteries. I had a hard landing, a gust got it on landing right at touch down and it flared up and stalled, got a hard nose bonk landing (total surprise). It still looks great but it did take me some time to get everything right again. I gave this big motor some more down thrust (since I had to repair the power pod). This plane at half throttle flies like the spec motor Spit (2.0) does wide open. The extra throttle doesn't create a lot of extra horizontal speed, but it does create a lot more vertical speed and acceleration. It's just very powerful and climbs forever. I hand launch at 1/2 throttle and it's a perfect, level, smooth launch (unlike the video where I had too much elevator up).

I really expected it to ruin the handling characteristic of the plane, it didn't do that at all!

danskis

Master member
Yep that bungee launcher probably saved me a bunch of repairs on the Spit...and my last Versa Wing. The bungee just kinda floats it into the air with very little drama and gives you plenty of time to react. I did have one bad bungee launch with my Arrow - I think I pulled it too far back for that small a plane. The Spit is pretty underpowered and would probably require 3/4 throttle to get it into the air. Once I get it sorted and put a bigger motor in it I can hand launch it.

Marty72

Elite member
I have been flying both the my Spitfires (identical airframe) but with different motor and props for a a couple of weeks now. I really don't enjoy the C pack motor (spec) much anymore. The Rimfire 3536 1200 w/ 10x7 is just so much more fun.

I'm also building the Master Spitfire right now. I've had one set back so far, the wing alignment and wing tips didn't come out right (heavily crinkled after gluing), so I made new wings as I couldn't stand to proceed they way they were. (yes, they would work fine, but I enjoy doing it right if I can). I believe Josh is better at pointing out the build pitfalls than John is, I found a few pitfall (builder mistakes, ie me) in the build and I'm sure I'm not alone. I'm about half way through it, I expect to encounter at least one more rework as that's the way a complicated build like this goes. I think scratch builds are harder at the Master's level do to the precise nature of the build, if you don't cut the templates and the foam just right, things won't go together right. Where as the "regular" level, I feel there is a lot more leeway on the foam cutout.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I have been flying both the my Spitfires (identical airframe) but with different motor and props for a a couple of weeks now. I really don't enjoy the C pack motor (spec) much anymore. The Rimfire 3536 1200 w/ 10x7 is just so much more fun.

I'm also building the Master Spitfire right now. I've had one set back so far, the wing alignment and wing tips didn't come out right (heavily crinkled after gluing), so I made new wings as I couldn't stand to proceed they way they were. (yes, they would work fine, but I enjoy doing it right if I can). I believe Josh is better at pointing out the build pitfalls than John is, I found a few pitfall (builder mistakes, ie me) in the build and I'm sure I'm not alone. I'm about half way through it, I expect to encounter at least one more rework as that's the way a complicated build like this goes. I think scratch builds are harder at the Master's level do to the precise nature of the build, if you don't cut the templates and the foam just right, things won't go together right. Where as the "regular" level, I feel there is a lot more leeway on the foam cutout.
It is a bit more specific to fit the skins together on a MS build for sure. I find that if the cuts are close enough some final sanding for fit and finish is usually required. Be sure to be aware of the grain direction on the molded pieces as well. The grain of a sheet runs lengthwise on a fresh sheet. So this means that it molds smoother if the curve arc is perpendicular to the grain for an easier fit and smooth panel

Marty72

Elite member
It is a bit more specific to fit the skins together on a MS build for sure. I find that if the cuts are close enough some final sanding for fit and finish is usually required. Be sure to be aware of the grain direction on the molded pieces as well. The grain of a sheet runs lengthwise on a fresh sheet. So this means that it molds smoother if the curve arc is perpendicular to the grain for an easier fit and smooth panel

Yep, all true. Been sanding a tad to get things to fit. The wings well, I did not position them as I should have and then I used his tape over the tips approach and that made an absolute mess of the wing tips. The second time, I didn't use tape, took my time, used my fingers to hold instead. When you cover things up with big pieces of tape, you can't see what is going underneath.

It's all a learning curve, I've got to learn the techniques if I want to build these types of planes, so no reason to rush through the build, work it out as I go.