Standard FoamBoard Hinge weakness

Tench745

Master member
I don't think any of my aircraft have had the stab try to curl and pull the paper away from the foam like you're seeing. Perhaps the grain of the foam affects the curling effects, or maybe I've just been lucky. I could see how your alternating bevel might help with that problem.

Keno

I always have had a problem with FT's "V" cut hinging not that its bad. My problem has been the stiffness of this hinging system. Yes I have coated the "V" cut with hot glue and scraped out all the excess. However The hot glue application tends to stiffen the hinging area. I been researching other options some look good as offered. In looking for a simple solution I have found a product call "Fix N Flex" made by "Deluxe" (Ck out Amazon) Apply it to the "V" cut and work it into exposed foam and into the bottom of cut. Some modelers already know of this product, you might want to look into it.

Kendalf

I've been wanting to give @Hai-Lee's alternating hinge method a try. I've got two planes that I'm almost done building: a MiniacRC P-40 and a FT Mighty Mini F-22. I'm using Hai-Lee's method on the elevator of the P-40:
Alternative Hinge (1).jpg

And I'm trying a simplified version of this hinge on the elevon's of the F-22:
Alternative Hinge (2).jpg

We'll see how it goes! Though most likely the planes will be crashed and destroyed long before even the normal hinge bevel would come "unhinged."

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I always have had a problem with FT's "V" cut hinging not that its bad. My problem has been the stiffness of this hinging system. Yes I have coated the "V" cut with hot glue and scraped out all the excess. However The hot glue application tends to stiffen the hinging area. I been researching other options some look good as offered. In looking for a simple solution I have found a product call "Fix N Flex" made by "Deluxe" (Ck out Amazon) Apply it to the "V" cut and work it into exposed foam and into the bottom of cut. Some modelers already know of this product, you might want to look into it.
Personally I do not use hot glue for sealing the FB edges or hinges but rather use a thin wipe of White wood working glue, (PVA). The hinges are free with this arrangement and the original Hinge process. I buy the PVA by the litre at a ridiculously low price and the hinges are sealed for years! In addition they are able to be painted with almost any paint I have to hand!

This hinge bevel arrangement was conceived to reduce the delamination of the paper hinge over time, (especially at the ends of the bevels), and to reduce control surface flexing/oscillating at high speed where needed.

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
Great thread @Hai-Lee! Lots of ideas here. I'll be honest I never had problems with the hinges if I re-enfored with hot glue on the inside and duck tape on the outside (the original FT method). It might be becase my planes don't survive very long :). I can see how hai-lee's method reduces the chance of paper peeling off, but like @kilroy07 think you need some trimming between hinges to avoid friction. I think that all these are great ideas and that everyone should just try it for themselves and see what they think about each suggested method.

What attracted my ire, (so to speak), or adverse reaction, was the simple fact that the posted alternatives were NOT Foamboard Hinges but rather hinges from different materials used to replace FB hinges! The technique was proposed so that anyone could buy an FT kit from the store and assemble it in what MIGHT be a more robust manner without needing to add NON-FT materials or to purchase any additional materials.
True but most off the ideas that have been brought up use things that can be most likely be obtained any where at zero cost or you'd have available at home.

All is good my friends. I have seldom met a fellow flyer that has the same opinion or answer to a question or problem. Hai-Lee thank you for your proposed hinging method. I read many ideas here and I have found they offered me only increased knowledge. This will work there but maybe not there. Learning is a gift and I find nothing in these posts that has not offer me that. Even the goofiest Ideas I have heard/read may either offers me humor or enlightenment. Go for it guys and gals give me all your all your ideas as it provides me with knowledge to solve problems or maybe develop a new model design. This is what it is all about, LEARNING. Sorry for the rant.
WORD!

Thank you for such a great thread, Hai-Lee! You called yourself militant. I'd add hard-headed to that. You are one hard-headed militant son-of-a-gun! And we love your for it! :love: Don't break your wrist on @kilroy07. We can take this to the Bar Somewhere in the Middle of Nowhere, if we have to. I don't think that will be necessary. I'm about to talk you both down by showing you something that I did not come up with, but is totally awesome.
You nailed it buddy!