Star Wars Plane Challenge...

IcedStorm777

Hi all, this would be a challenge where you have to build a plane from star wars. Any star wars movie or show (clone wars, rebels etc.) works. You must be able to show where in the movie/show it appears. I would love to see some exotic less known builds from the star wars series. I would be the judge as i won't be building in this challenge. You would be judged on things like:

-EDF vs prop
(EDF would warrent more points as they are harder and more realistic to most star wars planes.)

-Capabilities
(VTOL, FPV, Retracts, Flaps, Lights, etc.)

-How well it flies/builds

-How scale/nice the plane looks

-And how much fun the builder and flier is having in this process.

Thanks good luck!!

kilroy07

Legendary member
Well, I'd LOVE to take up the W-wing challenge... (I think Jeremy and I are kindred spirits with always wanting to see one fly...)

But I have WAY too many commitments right now... The X-Wing video did lead me back to the goblin though as a possible solution to the trouble I've had with the Swordfish 2... Some updates for that coming next week.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I didn't see this until now...

Anyone who knows me knows i'm always up for a good challenge. sadly right now I am in @kilroy07 's Boat.
I count 13... no 14 planes to complete before I do something foolish like start another build.:sneaky:

Plus 3 more I can build because I have two 50mm setups that just came in... RRRrr not enought spare waking moments....

Wait...Sleep That's the problem! if I just cut out sleep, I can build the planes I want to! That's like an extra 4-5 hr every day!o_O

I have watched this thread as I would love to see what some others post. Maybe you @IcedStorm777 could scour here and see if there are some inspirational builds.

jfaleo1

Just saw this thread, I started a Tie Striker/Tie Reaper that were in Rogue One in the Scarif battle. Striker was the Fighter, and Reaper a transport. I needed to get the balance right and still have enough power, EDF I choose did not have enough thrust and it was very tail heavy. CG is around the nose of the fuselage.
Maybe I will get the project back up and going.

Quick edit: Pics of the original Reaper I made and shot from the move plus the three view I worked from. Needs to be larger with more power and a way to get more weight forward .
IMG_3209.jpeg IMG_3211.jpeg sfs_tie_reaper_troop_transport_ortho__new__by_unusualsuspex_daxaum5-pre.jpg smn17m1w7n2z.jpg .

Last edited:

Captain Jay

Elite member
Just saw this thread, I started a Tie Striker/Tie Reaper that were in Rogue One in the Scarif battle. Striker was the Fighter, and Reaper a transport. I needed to get the balance right and still have enough power, EDF I choose did not have enough thrust and it was very tail heavy. CG is around the nose of the fuselage.
Maybe I will get the project back up and going.

Quick edit: Pics of the original Reaper I made and shot from the move plus the three view I worked from. Needs to be larger with more power and a way to get more weight forward .
View attachment 135362 View attachment 135363 View attachment 135364 View attachment 135365 .
Cool, I hope that thing flys...

jfaleo1

Cool, I hope that thing flys...

"Fly" is an overstatement. It stayed aloft for 30-40 seconds could not climb, or handle a turn downwind. Once I got it to balance it was too heavy for the EDF that was installed. once I get my mind wrapped around it again I will have another go with a slightly different arrangement; Longer fuselage, more wing area, higher power, better thrust tube, and possibly switch to the fighter version. no matter what the CG is still very far forward with difficult battery placement.

Captain Jay

Elite member
"Fly" is an overstatement. It stayed aloft for 30-40 seconds could not climb, or handle a turn downwind. Once I got it to balance it was too heavy for the EDF that was installed. once I get my mind wrapped around it again I will have another go with a slightly different arrangement; Longer fuselage, more wing area, higher power, better thrust tube, and possibly switch to the fighter version. no matter what the CG is still very far forward with difficult battery placement.

Captain Jay

Elite member

Maybe the Imperial Shuttle would have a better chance at flying. Delta wing and a rudder set up... you could use 2 x 30mm EDFs on the rear of the side tubes and battery in the cabin area... I would also suggest this uses an elevon set up. Rudder hmmm not necessary but maybe cool for a flat turn...
b0f3b08a7f6d7066a0742e89c5f0c75f.jpg

Last edited:

jfaleo1

Maybe the Imperial Shuttle would have a better chance at flying. Delta wing and a rudder set up... you could use 2 x 30mm EDFs on the rear of the side tubes and battery in the cabin area... I would also suggest this uses an elevon set up. Rudder hmmm not necessary but maybe cool for a flat turn...
View attachment 135698
Give it a try. I have one too may projects in work now🙂. I’m sticking with this one and trying to find solutions.