Strider mini quad build log

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Thanks Josh. The tutorial is for the old v1.2 firmware - LOL.
The video settings and data rate were the biggies for me.
I'll try them out and post some more video.
I was really happy to see from your video that I can get decent results with these tiny cameras.

Best regards,
PCH

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Same guy (BMSWEB), but he goes over the 2.33 firmware settings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_9mD05i6ms
They have WB and EXP locks now.
You hold the mode button down for 3 seconds and it locks in the WB of whatever you have it pointed at.
His method was a bit hit or miss, but if you use a grey card it should be spot on every time.
He also had an old video comparing the HDR mode (no noticeable difference) and promised to revisit that again with the latest update.

Best regards,
PCH

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I got a LOT of flying done while on vacation this weekend. I flew at an outdoor camping and music festival that I attended. I set the LCD screen up next to my chair and every single person who walked by was amazed. It was a real opportunity to share the hobby with people. And no worries--I flew safely and had permission from the event organizers and all that.

I did have one interesting incident that I'll share. The first time I took off, my quad started to shudder like crazy and climb, even after I lowered the throttle. I realized a flyaway was imminent and cut the throttle entirely, and the quad did a lazy half-roll as it fell from about 20-30 feet (best guess visually, from the goggles) onto its back. Zero damage was done to the quad, the battery, or the Mobius camera, which took a pretty solid hit. Not even a broken prop, actually.

The problem ultimately turned out to be that, just before I left for vacation, I copied the PID settings from profile 2 over to profile 1. I forgot that the Cleanflight profiles come with default in-flight adjustment settings for pitch and roll PID, and my default switch positions were causing P gain to slowly rise to maximum as soon as the quad was powered up. Although I was able to fix this issue, I ultimately wasn't able to get the quad flying right again until I did a full default on the chip and then re-built the config using Bluetooth and the MW GUI app on my phone. This was pretty tedious, because the Bluetooth link would need to be re-connected every time I rebooted the Naze, and also if I did something like a "dump" command, that pumped a lot of data through the link, the Naze would reboot. I have since purchased a USB OTG cable, which will allow me to configure the Naze from my phone without connecting the Bluetooth adapter (a big PITA with the pins where they are on a mini quad), and which will give rock solid wired connection. I'm not worried about not being able to connect in flight, since I always lose the Bluetooth link when I fly anyway, and it doesn't auto-re-establish when I come back into range.

Lessons learned:

1. As part of my pre-flight, I now always hold the copter and throttle up a little, then tip it forward and back, left and right. This confirms that the copter is stable and the props are all pushing the right direction.

2. For me at least, USB OTG >> Bluetooth for field configuration. The hard-wired connection boots right up and is rock solid. And it uses the easily-accessible USB port, instead of the serial pins.

3. Mini quads are awesome and so much fun to fly.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Well, it seems that tumble I described above has destroyed my Mobius. That's an expensive mistake.

Here's the latest video of me getting the quad tuned in. Parameters are in the video description.

You can find a detailed discussion of the tuning here.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I can't shake the feeling that my P and D values are too high, so I did a bit more exploration on my setup today. What I did was, I set pitch and roll P=1.0, I=0.010, D=5. Then I held the copter with one hand and increased either pitch or roll P separately. I set the throttle to 45% and I looked for bounces when inputting sharp control movements.

When inputting sharp stick movements for both the pitch and roll axes, double-bounces (or more) began to occur above P=3.5. At P=3.2 and below, there was a single-bounce. By P=2.0 to 2.5, the single-bounce remained, but was noticeably softer/slower. This is consistent with my in-flight observation that P values below 2.5 are too sloshy to fly effectively. So the range of my optimal P value is pretty definitively somewhere between 2.5 and 3.2. In my experience, hand-held tests usually produce P values that are a little higher than is optimal for flying, so I would probably bump down to something like P=3.0 and work I and D up from there.

joshuabardwell

Mentor

Cleanflight 1.8.1
Luxfloat PID Controller
BLheli 13.1 with damped light and Oneshot
Sunnysky x2204 2300 kv, 3S, HQ 6030 props

Roll PID - 2.7 / 0.030 / 30
Pitch PID - 2.7 / 0.050 / 35
Yaw PID - 4.5 / 0.030 / 0

RC rate 0.80
Roll Rate 0.40
Pitch Rate 0.40
Yaw Rate 0.35
TPA not used

Last edited:

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Lessons learned:

1. As part of my pre-flight, I now always hold the copter and throttle up a little, then tip it forward and back, left and right. This confirms that the copter is stable and the props are all pushing the right direction.

2. For me at least, USB OTG >> Bluetooth for field configuration. The hard-wired connection boots right up and is rock solid. And it uses the easily-accessible USB port, instead of the serial pins.

3. Mini quads are awesome and so much fun to fly.

Sorry to hear about the Mobius.
I just had a similar setup screwup.
I was attempting to add flaps to my Sport Cub. This requires you to change the wing type (2ail 1flap).
Too late I realized that I hadn't changed the model from my Tricopter.
I went out to the club field this weekend and guess what wouldn't fly?
Changing the wing type default all of the sub-trims and servo directions.
Fortunately I had remembered to bring my tablet and was able to get it set up once again.
I'm getting pretty good at configuring the Transmitter Tricopter, but not out of choice.

My take away - do a pre-modify check on your Transmitter before changing anything.
Make sure you are on the correct model.

Best regards,
PCH