Stuff you use for winter

Spastickitten

I was wondering what you guys need to fly in the cold winter months. I won't need it, but I want to understand just how bad it is in winter. Even the coldest months don't get too cold (a little less than 0 degrees celsius at it's worst), so I don't really know how it affects flying, planes, batteries, the canadian, and other basic stuff. Just curious.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
If its too cold for my hands... its too cold for my batteries. That's my policy. Some folks buy Tx mitts and fly anyways but I know the chemistry in these batteries a little more that I should (self-labeled nerd here) and the cold just does not play nice with them and makes flying an unsafe affair. Not judging others just my way.Usually 35-45 F is my limit for a quick hop. Other than that I am camped out building something.

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
My hands have always suffered from the cold so if a light pair of gloves doesn't keep them from hurting I just don't fly.

RAM

Boots with 1200 grams of Thinsulate. Merino wool. Lots of coffee and/or hot chocolate.

RAM

and one of these :)
Shanty_vista_(360282448).jpg

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I just got a bigger tx mitt and will be putting in the heater for the really cold days.

It takes a few weeks but in time my blood thickens and I go out when it is stupid cold.

For the battery packs. I warm up a bean bag neck pack thing in the microwave and then put that in a beer cooler where I store my flight packs.

Keeps the happy.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Cold as ice

So this winter I will avoid last years errors.

Planes like the EFX Racer will stay home.
Anything "twitchy" or not able to fly with the transmitter mitt is grounded.

Last year I gave myself frost bite and tanked the EFX at the last second because my hands were too numb to react.

So planes with skis rock.
STOL planes rock.
The Skipper rocks
Enclosed/water proof multi-rotors rock.

Planes which are margin on prop clearance in the dry wont fly in the ice/snow conditions. (See the T-28)

IMG_1899.JPG IMG_1929.JPG IMG_2021.JPG IMG_2023.JPG IMG_2025.JPG IMG_2597.JPG IMG_2598.JPG IMG_2600.JPG IMG_2748.JPG IMG_2749.JPG IMG_2805.JPG Screen Shot 2015-01-17 at 2.01.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-02-07 at 1.21.41 PM.png IMG_1994.JPG

RAM

I just got a bigger tx mitt and will be putting in the heater for the really cold days.

It takes a few weeks but in time my blood thickens and I go out when it is stupid cold.

For the battery packs. I warm up a bean bag neck pack thing in the microwave and then put that in a beer cooler where I store my flight packs.

Keeps the happy.

The neck heater idea is a great tip. thx.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
As you can see I keep them away from direct contact but have never had an issue.

I'm going to try the Radian this winter for sure.

mactek

I flew my radian a lot last winter. The lift actually wasn't too bad and was able to get some descent flight times. Currently i am building a new FT Bushwacker that i am going to use 3 mil laminate on and a set of ski's for my winter bird. I will post some picks when it is done.

abieex

Mentor
My recipe is Carharts, hot chocolate, mittens with finger holes and car heater for batteries. Plenty of color on all my planes!

earthsciteach

Flying off of snow is fun! I use lightweight gloves that allow me to remove the fingertips. They help a little, but I can't stay out for more than one flight at a time. Its no big deal because I fly behind my house.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I try to go out, fly the battery, and come back in as fast as possible. This year I want to fly a wing or glider FPV while I sit in a warm car. It's nice to have an aircraft you don't have to actively control at all times.

LooseBruce

Keeps the happy.
That is a GREAT idea!
I'll be doin' that soon.
LooseBruce:cool:

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
When you are in the deep freeze from Jan to May well you have little to no choice but to embrace the cold or run away and hide.