Swappable Lockheed Vega Scratch Build!!!

Bando FPV

Hey guys!

I've been working on my first Foam Board Design the Lockheed Vega. I was looking around on Wikipedia searching for different planes to design that I haven't seen anyone else do before. I then came to Lockheed Vega. The name sounded familiar so I started researching. I later found out that it was the model that Amelia Eaheart flew to become the first woman to solo across the Atlantic! Here is the picture of her Vega:

WEB11183-2009_640.jpg

Here is another picture of the Lockheed Vega but with Amelia Earheart:
SI-80-11040_640.jpg

It's a pretty cool looking plane and I really want to design it. In future posts, I will update everyone with my build progress.

Bando FPV

I later found a pretty good 3 view for the vega. There aren't many detailed 3 views out there, unfortunately, but this one will suffice:

lockheed_vega_3v.jpg

I developed my first set of plans using a free software called Inkscape.

Here are some pictures of my first set of plans:

Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 7.27.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 7.27.59 PM.png

I based the design a lot from other Flite Test planes such as the FT Simple Scout and FT Simple Cub. There are a lot of formers due to the "can" like shape the Vega has. This could cause some flying issues but let's see what happens. ;)

The formers in the middle of the fuselage are doubled to hopefully add some strength to where it would belly land. I will cut out everything and see what happens in the build process. I hope that this can be a successful build so others can copy my plans and also have a fun experience with a scratch built Lockheed Vega.

You can find the V1 plans here.

Last edited:

FastCrash45

Elite member
Hey guys!

I've been working on my first Foam Board Design the Lockheed Vega. I was looking around on Wikipedia searching for different planes to design that I haven't seen anyone else do before. I then came to Lockheed Vega. The name sounded familiar so I started researching. I later found out that it was the model that Amelia Eaheart flew to become the first woman to solo across the Atlantic! Here is the picture of her Vega:

View attachment 125235

Here is another picture of the Lockheed Vega but with Amelia Earheart:
View attachment 125236

It's a pretty cool looking plane and I really want to design it. In future posts, I will update everyone with my build progress.
That would be an exciting plane to build and fly!

Bando FPV

I finally cut out all my parts and began building the V1 of my Vega! I finished with the wing and fuselage:
IMG_0262.JPG
IMG_0265.JPG
IMG_0266.JPG
IMG_0268.JPG
IMG_0269.JPG
IMG_0271.JPG
IMG_0272.JPG

I messed up the wing a little but I think it should be ok. I just need to work on the poster paper and wrap it around the formers. Then we should be good for a test glide!

Bando FPV

The Vega is done! I went for a simple glide test and works perfectly! Don't mind the two batteries in the pictures, they were the nose weight. ;) The poster paper was rushed because I just wanted to see it's glide test so don't mind that either. :cool:
IMG_0275.JPG
IMG_0276.JPG
IMG_0277.JPG
IMG_0279.JPG

The build looks real sketch but I'll fix it in V2. I learned that I needed to change a ton of edits to the plans after building it. I also need to extend the tail farther back because it looks too close to the wing and will give me some bad flying characteristics.

Bando FPV

Finished working on V2 plans!

I made a ton of edits to my plans! I fixed little bugs in my plans and cleaned it up a little. I created some landing gear and will see how that will work out. I split the bottom section into two parts to allow an easier building process. I also made markings to the fuselage doubler so I won't accidentally add unwanted glue on specific parts. I also redid the radial former to make a cleaner look. So excited to start building it! This version I will put actual electronics in it to get ready for the maiden.

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 7.29.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 7.29.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 7.30.11 PM.png

Bando FPV

I just read a book on Amelia Earhart and thought, "I'd like to design a foamboard Vega!"....Looks like I don't have to! How's V2 coming along?
I just finished V2! It flies great but still have to add more improvements. It's really hard to make progress now due to school and other extracurriculars. Will post more updates in the future!