• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Swappable Lockheed Vega Scratch Build!!!

Hey guys!

I've been working on my first Foam Board Design the Lockheed Vega. I was looking around on Wikipedia searching for different planes to design that I haven't seen anyone else do before. I then came to Lockheed Vega. The name sounded familiar so I started researching. I later found out that it was the model that Amelia Eaheart flew to become the first woman to solo across the Atlantic! Here is the picture of her Vega:

WEB11183-2009_640.jpg

Here is another picture of the Lockheed Vega but with Amelia Earheart:
SI-80-11040_640.jpg

It's a pretty cool looking plane and I really want to design it. In future posts, I will update everyone with my build progress.

I later found a pretty good 3 view for the vega. There aren't many detailed 3 views out there, unfortunately, but this one will suffice:

lockheed_vega_3v.jpg

I developed my first set of plans using a free software called Inkscape.

Here are some pictures of my first set of plans:

Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 7.27.50 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 7.27.59 PM.png

I based the design a lot from other Flite Test planes such as the FT Simple Scout and FT Simple Cub. There are a lot of formers due to the "can" like shape the Vega has. This could cause some flying issues but let's see what happens. ;)

The formers in the middle of the fuselage are doubled to hopefully add some strength to where it would belly land. I will cut out everything and see what happens in the build process. I hope that this can be a successful build so others can copy my plans and also have a fun experience with a scratch built Lockheed Vega.

Hey guys!

I've been working on my first Foam Board Design the Lockheed Vega. I was looking around on Wikipedia searching for different planes to design that I haven't seen anyone else do before. I then came to Lockheed Vega. The name sounded familiar so I started researching. I later found out that it was the model that Amelia Eaheart flew to become the first woman to solo across the Atlantic! Here is the picture of her Vega:

View attachment 125235

Here is another picture of the Lockheed Vega but with Amelia Earheart:
View attachment 125236

It's a pretty cool looking plane and I really want to design it. In future posts, I will update everyone with my build progress.
That would be an exciting plane to build and fly!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Mentor
This plane would be a great candidate for the techniques used by FT for their "Master Series Corsair". Maybe next time!

Great job!

Have fun!

Yeah, I already finished my plans before I learned about their Master Series. I'll try to incorporate the Master Series techniques on my next project! Thanks for the support!

I finally cut out all my parts and began building the V1 of my Vega! I finished with the wing and fuselage:
IMG_0262.JPG IMG_0265.JPG IMG_0266.JPG IMG_0268.JPG IMG_0269.JPG IMG_0271.JPG IMG_0272.JPG

I messed up the wing a little but I think it should be ok. I just need to work on the poster paper and wrap it around the formers. Then we should be good for a test glide!

The Vega is done! I went for a simple glide test and works perfectly! Don't mind the two batteries in the pictures, they were the nose weight. ;) The poster paper was rushed because I just wanted to see it's glide test so don't mind that either. :cool:
IMG_0275.JPG IMG_0276.JPG IMG_0277.JPG IMG_0279.JPG
The build looks real sketch but I'll fix it in V2. I learned that I needed to change a ton of edits to the plans after building it. I also need to extend the tail farther back because it looks too close to the wing and will give me some bad flying characteristics.

Thanks! I'm going to build a V2 and add the electronics in it for the maiden. I just built the V1 with no electronics to see if it even will fly because I doubted my designing abilities. I will post my results soon!