Switching Model Type when using a DX8 Spektrum

dmlong

I have a couple of question about DX8 that I recently purchase. The instructions mention that when switching to a new model type, like from airplane to sailplane, all of the settings in my previous model type will be deleted.
Do I need to save the settings on an SD memory card before making a switch to a different model type, and can I use just any SD memory card?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
You can use any SD card with your radio, but changing the base model type will always delete your settings. It's basically deleting the model and creating a new one of the new type with the same name.

dmlong

You can use any SD card with your radio, but changing the base model type will always delete your settings. It's basically deleting the model and creating a new one of the new type with the same name.
Are all radios like that, ElectriSean?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Are all radios like that, ElectriSean?

I imagine all Spektrum radios behave like that, I've only had a DX9 and that's how it worked. As for all radios, I'm not sure... I went from Spektrum to Taranis and never had a reason to go anywhere else :) On Taranis you can configure anything any way you want it, you just have to figure out how. It doesn't have model types like Spektrum does, there is just a quick wizard that helps with the initial config.

Bricks

Master member
My DX9 will save all the same settings the only thing that changes when changing wing type is what the new wing type actually uses say elevons to ailerons, those settings change., but the rest for me are still there say expo and rates mixing etc. The only time I loose everything is if I create a new model in that slot.

I see you are changing complete model types so disregarded my previous statement then yes you will loose all your settings.