The big bang of Mustangs

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Got the big mustang ready for a maiden! I decided not to paint it until I know it flies. I have my new radial c pack motor on it so this will be my first time using it on a plane. I’m really excited to see how it does! @mach1 rc said it has a lot more power, so I’m looking forward to trying it out! I’ll start on 3s and switch to 4s after a pack or two.
8DF40B47-DDA9-4A4D-B5DD-3367E31E425C.jpeg
077184C3-6195-4572-BE57-C808DE7CC787.jpeg

BS projects inc.

Elite member
IMG_1680.JPG IMG_1681.JPG IMG_1683.JPG IMG_1684.JPG IMG_1685.JPG IMG_1682.JPG

Day three: Wing is finished, mostly. I attatched the elevator to the tail so that the two sides of the tail would stop flopping around, and I noticed that the elevator was a bit crooked. The tail was pointed to the left a bit, so to counter it I shortened the right side and it evened it out for a straight elevator. Next I cut out the wings and spent some time prepping them to be folded over. I used lowes 3/4 inch foamboard as my former, with a 4ft carbon fiber rod as my spar. It's one of the rods you can find at a rural king as a marker for construction projects. What,s nice about it is that it will bend enough to get some dihedral in the wing, but not much more after that. I then centered and mounted my servos and the wing was ready to fold over. Folding the wing wasn't hard, you have to take it on stage at a time. I typically glue the wing down to only the former first, then the trailing edge surface. I test fitted it in the fuse and it fits like a glove, and to top it off it's not uneven and lines up with the elevator. Tomorrow I am unsure of what my plans are, if I have some free time I will set up my power system and finish the tail and turtle deck.

Quick question, should I have landing gear? It would be fixed landing gear and I already have a sure way to make a steady mount. I like the look of no landing gear in flight, but belly landing the plane means planting the scoop underneath the wing into the ground every time I belly land it.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
View attachment 154885 View attachment 154890 View attachment 154886 View attachment 154888 View attachment 154887 View attachment 154889

Day three: Wing is finished, mostly. I attatched the elevator to the tail so that the two sides of the tail would stop flopping around, and I noticed that the elevator was a bit crooked. The tail was pointed to the left a bit, so to counter it I shortened the right side and it evened it out for a straight elevator. Next I cut out the wings and spent some time prepping them to be folded over. I used lowes 3/4 inch foamboard as my former, with a 4ft carbon fiber rod as my spar. It's one of the rods you can find at a rural king as a marker for construction projects. What,s nice about it is that it will bend enough to get some dihedral in the wing, but not much more after that. I then centered and mounted my servos and the wing was ready to fold over. Folding the wing wasn't hard, you have to take it on stage at a time. I typically glue the wing down to only the former first, then the trailing edge surface. I test fitted it in the fuse and it fits like a glove, and to top it off it's not uneven and lines up with the elevator. Tomorrow I am unsure of what my plans are, if I have some free time I will set up my power system and finish the tail and turtle deck.

Quick question, should I have landing gear? It would be fixed landing gear and I already have a sure way to make a steady mount. I like the look of no landing gear in flight, but belly landing the plane means planting the scoop underneath the wing into the ground every time I belly land it.
Looks great!! I say go for LG!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Alright I guess I'll update this thread with how my MM has been doing. She's still flying!! A while back I tried dragging the tail through the snow while inverted, most of the tries ended in cartwheels or me pulling up....down:unsure: before the tail hit the snow. One of the cartwheels was pretty ruff and the snow managed to peel back the paper on the LE:LOL:
IMG_20200116_214620160.jpg

I didn't feel like fixing it, so whenever I got enough speed it would vibrate and make noise. So I had a bit of fun diving down without throttle and have, what sounds to be a giant bee, fly by :ROFLMAO: On my next flight I believe I dragged the tail because I heard a slight scraping sound and after I landed I saw that the paint on the tip of my tail was gone. I don't think it was like that before the flight.
IMG_20200116_215739723.jpg

Sero

Elite member
View attachment 154885 View attachment 154890 View attachment 154886 View attachment 154888 View attachment 154887 View attachment 154889

Looking good!

I belly land my regular mustang no problem. I didn't cut the hole in my scoop so it wouldn't collect dirt.

mayan

Legendary member
Personally prefer no landing gear on my planes :).

Alright I guess I'll update this thread with how my MM has been doing. She's still flying!! A while back I tried dragging the tail through the snow while inverted, most of the tries ended in cartwheels or me pulling up....down:unsure: before the tail hit the snow. One of the cartwheels was pretty ruff and the snow managed to peel back the paper on the LE:LOL:
View attachment 154894
I didn't feel like fixing it, so whenever I got enough speed it would vibrate and make noise. So I had a bit of fun diving down without throttle and have, what sounds to be a giant bee, fly by :ROFLMAO: On my next flight I believe I dragged the tail because I heard a slight scraping sound and after I landed I saw that the paint on the tip of my tail was gone. I don't think it was like that before the flight.
View attachment 154895
Sweet. Got videos?

Wildthing

Legendary member

Looking good and yes I would go with landing gear also.

chris398mx

Master member
Got the big mustang ready for a maiden! I decided not to paint it until I know it flies. I have my new radial c pack motor on it so this will be my first time using it on a plane. I’m really excited to see how it does! @mach1 rc said it has a lot more power, so I’m looking forward to trying it out! I’ll start on 3s and switch to 4s after a pack or two. View attachment 154808 View attachment 154809
ON 4S, it will scream. I wouldn't recommend a 10 inch prop on 4S though. I ran one on mine(10x45) as that is what was recommended for the P47 Master series plane, but i wasnt pushing it that hard and I thought the motor was getting too hot. I would recommend a 9inch on 4S.