The big bang of Mustangs

dutchmonkey

so i got the initial MM P-82 parts drawn i extended the tail to get it more scale. should be cutting and building it this weekend
mustang p82.PNG

mayan

Legendary member
I have recently done this since it was mentioned last time, works amazing. Haven't cut though any bottom side paper yet. Just pierce the top paper with the knife, then cut the foam with the prop, flawless.
You can also use guitar plectrum.

This battery placement info is great for when I build my standard mustang. But I’ve got to figure out how this mini mustang will balance with the 9g servos and humongous battery:LOL:
Same boat here!

Winterpeg you say... you got the worst of it there. Spent a few months there before, hence why I am back here lol. Have fun on the build and take pics, post your progress, then maiden it like you stole it... make sure to get vid of that too. We all like the entertainment :p:LOL:
+1

Ok, you guys have to do some price shopping, $64.99 US for that motor. YIKES . There are a lot of motors that will perform just as good for half the price.
+1

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
When I bought the Rimfire motor it was the first motor I had ever laid eyes or hands on from a LHS and it was recommended to me by the staff there.I had no idea what it would do, how well it would perform or last. I didn't even know how to hook it up or calibrate the ESC. I had no idea that you could buy the equivalent motors of different brands for a cheaper price, I just thought this is what motors cost and "I'll take it". I wanted to fly so I spent the money.

Looking back in hindsight if I had done some research on the specs of motors and the prices to could get them at then yes I would have been that guy who had spent less money. And if I knew more about transmitters and receivers again at that time I would have invested more money in that department instead of in the motor, had I known. Lessons learned.

Or have they? Yes they have. I have had a C pack Emax motor which is the usual go to for these standard size planes and the lesson I have learned here is this Rimfire out performs the Emax by leaps and bounds by getting so much more power, versatility, and durability, that there is no comparison. But hey you could just repair the Emax when you break it, or you could just replace it for $22 US. Sure... I could have purchased another 5 Emax motors with all the infamous crashing i do like I can't fly a kite. Reality is that I could have ordered online only to wait up to 2 weeks every time to get a new one, which means fly time lost. And I would have spent over three times the amount of money then I did on this one motor.

Given that I push limits in most things i do, RC flying not excluded, I do go beyond my flying skill to improve in the hobby as a pilot. Playing it safe and keeping a plane for a year is cute, but not my thing. If that's you and you feel comfortable in that skill level then all the power to you. I just don't need to hear how much I suck because I have a high crash count compared to guys who have been in the hobby for a couple decades and can't even remember the last crash they had because learning to fly was so long ago. I do not regret for one second buying this motor because I know what I am like and how I want to progress in the hobby.

If I had the choice I would buy it again to make twins and I wouldn't hesitate at the money spent. Sometimes you just get what you pay for and with this motor purchase, even though I had no idea at the time, was a really good decision for me. And I will encourage anyone with the resources to look into and purchase one of these Rimfire motors for the planes we build. If they decide to take the leap and get one I will say it will be their favourite motor in the fleet, guaranteed!

Time to go out and fly now, see ya

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
When I bought the Rimfire motor it was the first motor I had ever laid eyes or hands on from a LHS and it was recommended to me by the staff there.I had no idea what it would do, how well it would perform or last. I didn't even know how to hook it up or calibrate the ESC. I had no idea that you could buy the equivalent motors of different brands for a cheaper price, I just thought this is what motors cost and "I'll take it". I wanted to fly so I spent the money.

Looking back in hindsight if I had done some research on the specs of motors and the prices to could get them at then yes I would have been that guy who had spent less money. And if I knew more about transmitters and receivers again at that time I would have invested more money in that department instead of in the motor, had I known. Lessons learned.

Or have they? Yes they have. I have had a C pack Emax motor which is the usual go to for these standard size planes and the lesson I have learned here is this Rimfire out performs the Emax by leaps and bounds by getting so much more power, versatility, and durability, that there is no comparison. But hey you could just repair the Emax when you break it, or you could just replace it for $22 US. Sure... I could have purchased another 5 Emax motors with all the infamous crashing i do like I can't fly a kite. Reality is that I could have ordered online only to wait up to 2 weeks every time to get a new one, which means fly time lost. And I would have spent over three times the amount of money then I did on this one motor.

Given that I push limits in most things i do, RC flying not excluded, I do go beyond my flying skill to improve in the hobby as a pilot. Playing it safe and keeping a plane for a year is cute, but not my thing. If that's you and you feel comfortable in that skill level then all the power to you. I just don't need to hear how much I suck because I have a high crash count compared to guys who have been in the hobby for a couple decades and can't even remember the last crash they had because learning to fly was so long ago. I do not regret for one second buying this motor because I know what I am like and how I want to progress in the hobby.

If I had the choice I would buy it again to make twins and I wouldn't hesitate at the money spent. Sometimes you just get what you pay for and with this motor purchase, even though I had no idea at the time, was a really good decision for me. And I will encourage anyone with the resources to look into and purchase one of these Rimfire motors for the planes we build. If they decide to take the leap and get one I will say it will be their favourite motor in the fleet, guaranteed!

Time to go out and fly now, see ya
I like to remind myself if I'm not pushing myself and putting myself in danger of crashing, I'm not improving. I'll say that all gear (well, most that is. Cheapo stuff that doesn't even work is worthless) has it's place. For some of us that have 40 - 50 planes that are ready to fly then unless you have like insane amounts of money you aren't going to own a rimfire motor for each plane as well as Spektrum satellite receivers and other expensive gear for each and every 1 of those 50 planes. That's the place for the cheap gear. It's good and works great for it's price and can compete with more expensive gear. But if you're like @BATTLEAXE and you want a really good motor that will serve you well for your 2-3 planes you have at the moment and hold up to the crashes you take while growing your skills, then a rimfire motor will really fit the ticket. I personally want a rimfire motor for a swappable pod that I can use to fly my Cub, BW, Mustang, Spitfire, and FT-3D. I've been using the stock c pack in them and am pretty impressed, but I think the Rimfire will take my flying to the next level. For the P-38 I'm working on now, I'm making it scale and spending my time on it to make it as perfect as I can. I wouldn't put an expensive motor in it at all since it's going to be around a while, not be flown super often, and when I do fly it I'll be doing scale flight. So yeah, basically I want some of everything so I can fly some of everything. Thanks for reading

Wildthing

Legendary member
I am not saying it is a bad motor, I am saying it is over priced. There are comparable motors of the same quality and performance for half the price if not more. Yes you get what you pay for and some of the cheap stuff is junk but to put a high price tag on it doesn't make it any better . These motors all come from the same place, China. Most in this hobby have a limited income to throw at it, for $65.00 US I can build a whole new plane start to finish including a battery and it would perform just as good if you had the Rimfire motor in it.