The big bang of Mustangs

Tazman

@BATTLEAXE is from Alberta, I am from Saskatoon Sk. :)

And yes to FFFFFFF@!^%$#^^@@ing COLD
W
Winterpeg you say... you got the worst of it there. Spent a few months there before, hence why I am back here lol. Have fun on the build and take pics, post your progress, then maiden it like you stole it... make sure to get vid of that too. We all like the entertainment :p:LOL:
nice, my wife is from Lang bank, near whitewood , we will be there over Christmas, still a little ways from you, but much closer.

Tazman

Winterpeg you say... you got the worst of it there. Spent a few months there before, hence why I am back here lol. Have fun on the build and take pics, post your progress, then maiden it like you stole it... make sure to get vid of that too. We all like the entertainment :p:LOL:
Yes I will, gonna start seeing what I need and making a list, maybe checking it twice, gonna see naughty and nice. Yup I like this idea, I got a nice radio now, got the Jumper T16 pro, and some nice FatShark HDO’s, maybe I will put a camera in it for some FPV flying. Got some good batteries to, all the way to 4’s. Guess all I really need are some servo’s and a good RX, I think I will go for crossfire nano, since I already have crossfire in my TX. Motors are not to expensive, maybe get some nice brushless, what do you guys recommend? What do I build the plane out of, is it a kit or do I need to cut all my own and out of what material? Oh listen to me like a giddy school girl.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yes I will, gonna start seeing what I need and making a list, maybe checking it twice, gonna see naughty and nice. Yup I like this idea, I got a nice radio now, got the Jumper T16 pro, and some nice FatShark HDO’s, maybe I will put a camera in it for some FPV flying. Got some good batteries to, all the way to 4’s. Guess all I really need are some servo’s and a good RX, I think I will go for crossfire nano, since I already have crossfire in my TX. Motors are not to expensive, maybe get some nice brushless, what do you guys recommend? What do I build the plane out of, is it a kit or do I need to cut all my own and out of what material? Oh listen to me like a giddy school girl.
Brushless is definitely the way to go for sure. You have an amazing Tx so you are good there, and it will take next to every Rx on the market. FT offers great motor packs with all the gear you need to build a multitude of planes, anything that would be the F pack equivalent would work for the Mini, the standard would be the C pack or the one @The Hangar posted a link to. you could go bigger then that as well.

As for the plans, the kit, and the build video you will find all that in the link I posted. To build you will need a good sized hot glue gun, a good hobby knife and sharp blades, popsicle sticks and bamboo bbq skewers. You could do the speed build kits which are cut stock and takes a lot of the work out for you or you could go the cheaper faster way and download the plans, again in the link I posted, and cut them out yourself. Personally I like to cut out my own for the fact that it is free and you can modify them however you like, speed build kits are precut and take that option away, for your first build you might want to keep it simple and just stick to the plans. If you go with the plans route you will need a handful of sheets of Dollar Tree foam board called Adams Ready Board, it's $1.25 per sheet, each plane averages to be about $4-5 to build the airframe. We fly a lot and crash a lot so its cheap, big hits are no big deal. Gather this stuff up and watch the build video, in the link I posted earlier, and have fun

Tazman

I thought that was what I was saying, perhaps I am mistaken, when I say a crossfire nano, that is a RX with I believe an onboard ESC, in any event should it not have an on board ESC, then yes I would need to get one, I was looking for a motor size, and perhaps a good brand, I do not mind spending good money for a really good motor, as I find they outlast the plane and can be re-used on many other projects. Same with the RX and ESC, the better you get the more chance you may reuse when you out grow or tire of the air craft. Servo’s I have a good view on them, I generally use Hi-tech micro’s for small electrics as I am thinking this project will be. Hi-tech has always been a good servos for me, and I really like using crossfire, even if you do not need the range, the cut through power and lossless connectivity is amazing, and I already have my TX kitted out with crossfire already so no extra expense there, I need a RX and the crossfire nano’s are not that expensive really. I am out of touch with plane building and brushless motors for this scale of plane, any advice on that front.

Tazman

Ok I just say the motor and ESC you sent the link to, and I am sure that will work with the crossfire nano. Unless it has a built in esc, I am more use to the quad world and I crossfire, but I am sure I have heard of plane guys using crossfire so they must have a RX for planes as well. Is that a really good motor, and ESC, is there any better, maybe more power same size, even if its more money, that price is certainly well within my range, I would go double all that, perhamps even a little higher, I never go cheap on the motor and electronics.

Tazman

Brushless is definitely the way to go for sure. You have an amazing Tx so you are good there, and it will take next to every Rx on the market. FT offers great motor packs with all the gear you need to build a multitude of planes, anything that would be the F pack equivalent would work for the Mini, the standard would be the C pack or the one @The Hangar posted a link to. you could go bigger then that as well.

As for the plans, the kit, and the build video you will find all that in the link I posted. To build you will need a good sized hot glue gun, a good hobby knife and sharp blades, popsicle sticks and bamboo bbq skewers. You could do the speed build kits which are cut stock and takes a lot of the work out for you or you could go the cheaper faster way and download the plans, again in the link I posted, and cut them out yourself. Personally I like to cut out my own for the fact that it is free and you can modify them however you like, speed build kits are precut and take that option away, for your first build you might want to keep it simple and just stick to the plans. If you go with the plans route you will need a handful of sheets of Dollar Tree foam board called Adams Ready Board, it's $1.25 per sheet, each plane averages to be about $4-5 to build the airframe. We fly a lot and crash a lot so its cheap, big hits are no big deal. Gather this stuff up and watch the build video, in the link I posted earlier, and have fun
Ya, ohhhhhh ya boiiiii, I want to do it all by hand I want to learn something, ya thanks this is great help really good advice. Hey listen any chance you have skype, I would love to chat with you.

K3V0

Elite member
Wooooooooo! Got this pony mostly thrown together!
FE8DA40D-ACB1-434B-A194-8791F34EDEC1.jpeg
still have to do a power pod and Rx and maybe wheels. Oh and the minwax that has been previously discussed.
CFBDDE40-2E77-405D-AC71-2A116B68603F.jpeg
I rushed through parts and would do a couple of things differently next time. And there will definitely be a next time😉
D567B4A1-C0BC-4A58-AC36-55C4FAC1E8F4.jpeg
721F3ABE-4F48-49C3-9924-2A0408D3B8C2.jpeg

Can’t wait to maiden this mini! Happy building!

Tazman

Wooooooooo! Got this pony mostly thrown together! View attachment 150646 still have to do a power pod and Rx and maybe wheels. Oh and the minwax that has been previously discussed. View attachment 150647 I rushed through parts and would do a couple of things differently next time. And there will definitely be a next time😉 View attachment 150648 View attachment 150649
OMG, yummmy, I love it, ya that is an all day everyday out door flyer, wont be flying that indoors, not even in an arena. Ya that thing will spread some wind alrighty.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Wooooooooo! Got this pony mostly thrown together! View attachment 150646 still have to do a power pod and Rx and maybe wheels. Oh and the minwax that has been previously discussed. View attachment 150647 I rushed through parts and would do a couple of things differently next time. And there will definitely be a next time😉 View attachment 150648 View attachment 150649
Mini's are tight for space huh, my Mustang took some strategic routing and planning when I did it

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Hi @Tazman . The motor that @The Hangar posted should be great for a normal ft mustang, but it is way too big for a mini mustang. Flite test has power packs, and the power packs a and f should work well. For slower flight, use the a pack, for more speed, the f pack. I would suggest the f pack if you like some more speed, and as somebody at my field said “you don’t need to use all of the power”. If you like slower flight though, the a pack or an equivalent would work great. Also, you don’t have to use a power pack, as long as you use something similar to a power pack motor you should be fine, for example, using a 2206 instead of a 2205 should be ok.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hi @Tazman . The motor that @The Hangar posted should be great for a normal ft mustang, but it is way too big for a mini mustang. Flite test has power packs, and the power packs a and f should work well. For slower flight, use the a pack, for more speed, the f pack. I would suggest the f pack if you like some more speed, and as somebody at my field said “you don’t need to use all of the power”. If you like slower flight though, the a pack or an equivalent would work great. Also, you don’t have to use a power pack, as long as you use something similar to a power pack motor you should be fine, for example, using a 2206 instead of a 2205 should be ok.
Yes, I meant for the big mustang. This is your first plane @Tazman right? The big Mustang would be better I think for a first plane.