The big bang of Mustangs

K3V0

Elite member
That my friend is what FB planes are all about. Really you only have maybe $3 worth of foam and a little time invested, pushing your limits and learning new stuff is exactly why we build these. Imagine spending $60 on a balsa kit that you spent 3 months building and looking pretty, would you feel the same about pushing yourself and improving your skills. I want to build a balsa sometime but I want to be sure that when it goes up, I don't want to brain fart and pull up when I should have rolled out, turning it into a collection of kindling lol.

These little planes are more susceptible to weight then say the bigger planes are but if you put LG on it to begin with you won't notice the difference, plus LG on the little ones will be lighter then the standard size models so you really aren't adding so much more weight then it can handle. 3s will be plenty of power to handle it. When it comes down to it these planes are so light and noticeably stronger then the big ones that they don't even need landing gear, most of the time they just nose over anyway. Unless you are flying indoors and have a gym floor to take off and land from the LG really act as a lever to catch ground anomalies and rip out of the wing, causing more damage then without.

I personally wouldn't do the landing gear on this plane, but if you want to do it, I would attach it under the fuse instead of the wing with skewers and a rubber band method so they have some spring to them. It's easy, removable, and safer on the plane in the event of a less then desirable landing. It is a method they do on the, and FT-3D and works awesome on the Mini's. Check out the build vid for it and see what you think
I do a lot of my flying on pavement. And I just love taking off and landing. I like the idea of having removable LG though. I’m definitely exploring that avenue.
I hear you about the balsa too! I just got turned on to Outerzone and have been browsing their gigantic selection of plans. I live near some great slope soaring spots and have been interested in the Bird of Time glider. The plans are intimidating to say the least😕. I can see enjoying a long protracted build but cringe at the thought of a badly piloted crash!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I do a lot of my flying on pavement. And I just love taking off and landing. I like the idea of having removable LG though. I’m definitely exploring that avenue.
I hear you about the balsa too! I just got turned on to Outerzone and have been browsing their gigantic selection of plans. I live near some great slope soaring spots and have been interested in the Bird of Time glider. The plans are intimidating to say the least😕. I can see enjoying a long protracted build but cringe at the thought of a badly piloted crash!
I was talking to @Headbang briefly about balsa kits and I am interested. I also want to toy with nitro. Maybe get an old used nitro motor for cheap at a swap meet or something, rebuild it and play with it on the bench. Then build a simple high wing or ugly stick out of balsa to put it in. Open up some other levels in the hobby

dutchmonkey

So the P-82 is printed will be building this weekend. Next mustang up is the Mustter its going to be a razorback/sea otter mix.

Attachments

• mustter.jpg
    mustter.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The reason for liking the bubble is probably because the best model of the mustang during the war had the merlin engine and bubble canopy for better visibility.
Actually the Mustang is really the only plane that looks like it was meant to have the bubble top. Even the P-47 makes the bubble canopy look like and afterthought, like something is missing

Headbang

Master member
I was talking to @Headbang briefly about balsa kits and I am interested. I also want to toy with nitro. Maybe get an old used nitro motor for cheap at a swap meet or something, rebuild it and play with it on the bench. Then build a simple high wing or ugly stick out of balsa to put it in. Open up some other levels in the hobby
I will let you know when I see auctions coming up. Red deer auction is in june I think. But I hear of others all the time. One can find nitro planes for cheap at these.