The CarbonFlite project

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Hey Carbon,
Foam addict here.
I've been following your Carbon flite thread since I found flite test.
I am also interested in drones for search and rescue, and have dabbled in them (read as no funding). I wanted to ask what your longest range and flight time were. Also, have you ever thought of having a thermal imaging camera set up to a second FPV transmitter? I know they are hugely expensive, and some what heavy, but still.
Just my 2 cents,
Foam Addict.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
I would love to use an IR camera, such as a FLIR core, but they are extremely expensive. I am planning on using a 10x optical zoom camera streaming on another FPV frequency. Right now I am learning a lot about FPV so the furthest I have flown is about .4 miles.
My biggest problem right now is the fact that models planes are really affected by wind. Also funding is an issue so I have slowed down on video production to explore all the possible ways to go about SAR.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I'd highly recommend a stabiliser to reduce the affects of wind on the models. I've used a FMA Copilot in the past, which is a self-levelling stabiliser, and it was brilliant in even 20 knot + winds. I've heard a few people give props to the Orange stabiliser for windy weather fpv, as even though it's not self-leveling, it takes out the bouncing and smooths the flight out.

I don't use the FMA anymore because FrSky rx only have 8 ports to plug stuff into, but it certainly would have been handy last time I flew at Lambrigg!!!

Carbon

Elemental Madness
FY31P is what I've been looking at. I have one the the orange ones but haven't tried it yet.

Nonamerc

Arman
I would love to use an IR camera, such as a FLIR core, but they are extremely expensive. I am planning on using a 10x optical zoom camera streaming on another FPV frequency. Right now I am learning a lot about FPV so the furthest I have flown is about .4 miles.
My biggest problem right now is the fact that models planes are really affected by wind. Also funding is an issue so I have slowed down on video production to explore all the possible ways to go about SAR.

I dont think that it's smart to use two frequencies for FPV. You will have more FPV gear on board more RF noise=less range. You can use the same frequency for more then one camera. You would just need to buy/modify a cam switcher from foxtech or any other FPV website..