The future of our hobby....

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
There is a big model train show in both Saskatoon and Regina every year, and you can't say that for planes or even trucks.
I have been to this show, and the time, effort and resources people put into them is amazing. The detail and in some cases the shear size of the models and landscapes are nuts. Definitely a retirement hobby to have the time to do so. But there just aren't the numbers for them. Every time I go into the hobby store the train guy is bored out of his tree and the only people I have seen in the train section are tire kickers or the odd guy looking for materials to build the planes, like me lol.

The biggest reason I want to fight the regulations is not for the hobby itself, but for the rest of our rights that will be trampled on for big business profits. If they get away with this today then they will just move into the next tomorrow. Some people just aren't happy unless they are bitchin about something.

tamuct01

I grew up watching my dad put together balsa planes with glow motors and FM radio equipment. I remember spending weeks putting together a rubber powered balsa kit and watching it plow into the ground in 2 seconds. It really turned me off to what was out there. Now that I'm an adult (with 3 kids of my own), I love that I can put together a plane with foamboard in an evening (or 20!) and have a fun plane to fly. I started out with some indoor helis and moved onto simulators and the FT Guinea Pig as my first plane. I recently purchased a balsa ARF (Sbach 342) and finished it out. I've flown it a few times and it scares me to death thinking of how much I have invested in the air. My skills have improved much over the last 7 years or so. I'm looking forward to building a balsa kit myself and spending that kind of time with building again. For me, it's all about how much time I have to play. I love balsa, foam, helis, quads, boats, cars, and just about anything you can throw a receiver into. :)

Turbojoe

Elite member
FAA .pdf file For your perusal......

Joe

Attachments

• FAA_Remote_ID_NPRM_Overview_(January_2020).pdf
    1 MB · Views: 0

TooJung2Die

Master member
FAA .pdf file For your perusal...
That, and go on the AMA website to submit your comments to the FAA before March 2nd. They have several templates you can use or edit to express in your own words. You can submit multiple comments. I have.

Last edited:

Turbojoe

Elite member
LOL. That's why I added "courteous". ;)

I just got an email from FliteTest with a survey link. LINK I completed that one as well.

Joe

Vikingcnp

I can remember buying a p40 hand control model. I screwed it into the ground after about 20 seconds. As it was a plastic model that was a total loss. As a 13 year old in 1973 that 40 bucks was about 3 months allowance. I was so upset that I never tried again. It was a very expensive leson.

I remember the RC guys who flew on the junior high field by my house. There was never a conflict.

Now I am easing my way into the rc hobby. I fly an sjrc f11 quad. It’s fun but I still want to fly airplanes.

I just ordered an aero scout s.

The foam board method makes the hobby accessible and affordable. I drove down to the local field today. I am going to join just to find an instructor and have a place to fly.