The Kitfox (Cub Alternative)

K3V0

Elite member
Has anybody seen the Flakpanzer video yet?
Are you referring to this moment?
ABEDA126-E398-4AC1-A72D-74293471751D.png

It’s cool to get glimpses of what might be coming down the pipe!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
A new and improved kitfox is in the works. This one I want more of a master series feel, even though the kitfox is originally pretty boxy as is. I think it still has some room for some molded finesse. This is the 3 view i am working from...
9B86B08F-C93C-4C03-A4D8-0854ED5E142F.png.2857b55ce87ba8cc656af14e9c5a4d4b.png

I want to run a 2212 in it so the WS is 32", a lot smaller then my first version. 8" props will be on the list and carrying a 2200 3s. As it appears this model is naturally short coupled to begin with so as i assume that the tail surfaces are already oversized, I gave them another 15% in the elevator and the rudder. A lot of the molding will be most apparent in the nose but I will form out the diamond sides down the thrust line. This is the top view i have drawn up so far...
20200614_002852.jpg

I have a theory to improve the roll rate on the dropped ailerons, plus i gave them a bit more of a sporty look by cutting the TE at an angle. This one i want to mount the wing fixed to the fuse and utilize a top hatch in the nose for the battery. The wing will be smooth, and no dihedral. I haven't decided how i will do the wing tip caps, but i did sure like how the first kitfox played in the wind when it would drop a tip into the breeze. I might do the angled wing tip fences again. This is just on paper now, it all works in my head, lets see how it works on the bench

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Wing is formed for the little kitfox...
20200614_174528.jpg

Right at 32", straight as it gets for FB. I did make an attempt at a wing before this one. The plan was to have the servos stand vertical and hang under the wing wrapped by a box spar. But it didn't turn out so well...
20200614_174646.jpg

It came out way to pronounced, the box spar has a height of 5/8" making the total height of 7/8" over 4.5", looks ridiculous right. It could fly, would have a ton of lift, but it would be draggy and it definitely is to heavy, compared to what I did for the second wing i built. I got rid of the box spar idea, a folded continuous spar at 3/8" height, and i will lay the servos flat up inside from under the wing. notice i ironed out a bevel in the TE of the bottom panel to clean up the shape and strengthen the span.

I am now working on the hinges for the drop spars. This time they will be made of polystyrene plastic, easier to work but these are physically smaller then the last ones i did on the first kitfox. I want to get the tedious stuff out of the way to be able to cruise through the rest. Wish I had a 3D printer

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Wing is formed for the little kitfox... View attachment 171980
Right at 32", straight as it gets for FB. I did make an attempt at a wing before this one. The plan was to have the servos stand vertical and hang under the wing wrapped by a box spar. But it didn't turn out so well... View attachment 171979
It came out way to pronounced, the box spar has a height of 5/8" making the total height of 7/8" over 4.5", looks ridiculous right. It could fly, would have a ton of lift, but it would be draggy and it definitely is to heavy, compared to what I did for the second wing i built. I got rid of the box spar idea, a folded continuous spar at 3/8" height, and i will lay the servos flat up inside from under the wing. notice i ironed out a bevel in the TE of the bottom panel to clean up the shape and strengthen the span.

I am now working on the hinges for the drop spars. This time they will be made of polystyrene plastic, easier to work but these are physically smaller then the last ones i did on the first kitfox. I want to get the tedious stuff out of the way to be able to cruise through the rest. Wish I had a 3D printer
Looking good!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Ailerons are on...
20200615_003228.jpg

It went just as well as it di the first time i built this style. I did have one stumble trying to glue the hinges into the wing. Got past it, had a second chance and it worked out nicely. I like the way the sportier aileron shape sets it apart
20200615_003327.jpg

20200615_003422.jpg

The LE of the ailerons you can see are set forward of the hinge line, like i was talking about before I am hoping it will have more authority...
20200615_003918.jpg

Ailerons fully down position, grabbing all the air and forcing it down, pushing it over, theoretically. I decided to go bare bones on this one to begin with, the first one had a lot of stuff going on with the wing tip fences, VG's, floats, plus just its size. I will start this one out just really basic, and i will add stuff as i progress with this model in the air

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Ailerons are on... View attachment 171994
It went just as well as it di the first time i built this style. I did have one stumble trying to glue the hinges into the wing. Got past it, had a second chance and it worked out nicely. I like the way the sportier aileron shape sets it apart View attachment 171995
View attachment 171996
The LE of the ailerons you can see are set forward of the hinge line, like i was talking about before I am hoping it will have more authority... View attachment 171997
Ailerons fully down position, grabbing all the air and forcing it down, pushing it over, theoretically. I decided to go bare bones on this one to begin with, the first one had a lot of stuff going on with the wing tip fences, VG's, floats, plus just its size. I will start this one out just really basic, and i will add stuff as i progress with this model in the air
I really like how that's coming out.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I really like how that's coming out.
Just finished some drawings for the fuse. Overall the idea was to keep this one simple just to see how the design works out. Now that its drawn out i can see places i could improve on it. All planned out in the brainbox doesnt always transition to paper well. So i will build what i got... maybe, then i have an excuse to build another improved version later